Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (4 Viewers)

Since October is approaching I thought I would, ahem, resurrect this thread to see if anyone is organising a Zombie tournament this year.

All going well I'm hoping to have mine again this year. COVID restrictions are currently tightening up again here so it's a bit up in the air but we're playing it by ear and will see how things go. Fingers crossed!

I don't plan on changing much at all (just the blinds, really) so the main principles remain the same as last year:
  1. Shortish 100BB T10k starting stack with a 1 rebuy per player limit up to the end of level 6 (this is our usual limit and cut-off in ordinary tournaments as well).
  2. If you rebuy you are resurrected as a zombie with an extra T5k - this represents the initial strength of "fresh" zombies.
  3. If you get bit by a zombie (beaten at showdown) you turn into one. You are eligible for the 5k boost but you have to pay for it - this represents the danger of coming face to face with a zombie.
  4. Zombies pay the SB twice - once as an ante and once as the regular blind - this represents the decay of zombies who don't feed (win chips) regularly enough.
The blinds are more or less identical apart from the first 3 levels since I've gone with a T100 base in-keeping with a change I've made and stuck with for most of the year

2019​
2020​

Last year had a more aggressive start, the idea being to promote resurrections, but it really only lasted 3 levels and led to colouring up at the first break, which was a bit of a pita. Going with a T100 base means the blinds are identical from L4 onwards anyway (apart from a simplified L9) and we only colour up late on. Depending on the number of players and number of zombies (ie players paying antes) the tournament can end much earlier than the usual/average 20BB, but you'll have worked that out anyway. I'm expecting mine to end anywhere between L10-13 depending on those factors.

I'll be having 3 bonus hands, as I always do in my tournaments, worth a third of the buy in (£10/£15). Usually only 1 pays out, maybe 2 this time, but it helps give others some hope of a little bit of cash. At present they are likely to be:
  1. Dead Man's Hand - win with A8
  2. Number of the Beast - win with 666
  3. Texas Holdem Massacre - first kill/elimination (guaranteed to pay out)
So, anyone else going to give this a go in 2020? I believe @toynoob is up for it, though I think his format is a fair bit different to mine.
Sweet, you know I'm having mine! Looks like it will have a decent PCF showing. Hopefully we can all take pics and post on my thread of epic stacks during the main event. Joe do you plan on having more players? I'm shooting for 40+

Sweet, you know I'm having mine! Looks like it will have a decent PCF showing. Hopefully we can all take pics and post on my thread of epic stacks during the main event. Joe do you plan on having more players? I'm shooting for 40+
I'm hoping for more than last year's 4 yes! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I can only dream of having a player pool of 40+

Not only that, we are currently subject to a legal limit of social gatherings of no more than 6 people so tbh I'll be happy if I can get a decent STT out of it.

Building off this zombie idea, I proposed a "COVID" game to my group as we return to live play. Here's my thoughts:
  • If you bust out, you are infected and have to draw a card.
    • If your card hits the flop, you pay an extra BB next hand; (6% chance that any random card hits the flop)
    • If your card hits the turn/river, you pay an extra SB next hand. (10% chance a random card hits by the river.
  • I was thinking maybe if you survive a certain period of time, you are cured and get rid of your COVID card (and the resulting penalty blinds). Maybe like 3 blinds levels? Or one hour of game time?
Your "COVID card" is poker width (and preferably a different pip size) while the tournament decks are bridge, so your card never gets scooped in to the pot.

A reservation was expressed that as a player, you'd have to track whether the flop/board hit any COVID cards of other player and then make sure it was actually posted the following hand rather than focusing on playing poker. I don't think it'll be that difficult...if your COVID card hits, you put your SB/BB on your COVID card so you remember that its in the pot next hand. Plus, there are typically only a handful of rebuys on any given night.

It may discourage a late rebuy, knowing that you'd have to possibly post a COVID blind or the next hour/3 levels.

Thoughts?

Building off this zombie idea, I proposed a "COVID" game to my group as we return to live play. Here's my thoughts:
    • If your card hits the flop, you pay an extra BB next hand; (6% chance that any random card hits the flop)
    • If your card hits the turn/river, you pay an extra SB next hand. (10% chance a random card hits by the river.
  • I was thinking maybe if you survive a certain period of time, you are cured and get rid of your COVID card (and the resulting penalty blinds). Maybe like 3 blinds levels? Or one hour of game time?
Your "COVID card" is poker width (and preferably a different pip size) while the tournament decks are bridge, so your card never gets scooped in to the pot.

A reservation was expressed that as a player, you'd have to track whether the flop/board hit any COVID cards of other player and then make sure it was actually posted the following hand rather than focusing on playing poker. I don't think it'll be that difficult...if your COVID card hits, you put your SB/BB on your COVID card so you remember that its in the pot next hand. Plus, there are typically only a handful of rebuys on any given night.

It may discourage a late rebuy, knowing that you'd have to possibly post a COVID blind or the next hour/3 levels.

Thoughts?
If the COVID card is from a different deck and is quite distinguishable from other cards that may be face up on the table then I don't foresee any issues inn keeping track of it. We kept track of who is a zombie by having zombie cards in front of zombie players and nobody forgot to post their anti when they were a zombie and nobody failed to realise when they were heads up against a zombie (part of the infection rules in my version).

As for the rest I wouldn't like to say. I don't know enough or play enough poker to know if those are ideas that would enhance the game or change it too much, but give it a go and see! :tup:

I've been mulling over a "zombie variant" since I first saw this thread, and I'm not sure if it has popped up yet, but here's my version:

1. Regular game until someone is busted.
  2. Any player who gets busted gets a regular rebuy option, but:
    1. They pay full price, but only get 75% of starting stack
    2. They get marked as a zombie by a zombie identifier (card, chip, etc.)
    3. They have a forced ante every hand
    4. Their zombie identifier counts as a bounty chip that can only be won by a non-zombie player (25% of the buy-in that wasn't converted into chips at rebuy)
Not sure how this'd play out, but I feel like it matches the theme well:
  • Everyone who "dies" becomes a zombie (if they rebuy), so the disease will naturally spread over the course of time
  • They start a bit shortstacked (hungry)
  • The forced ante will give them a constant "hunger"
  • The bounty will give "human" players an extra incentive to hunt the zombies
Thoughts?

I've been mulling over a "zombie variant" since I first saw this thread, and I'm not sure if it has popped up yet, but here's my version:

4. Their zombie identifier counts as a bounty chip that can only be won by a non-zombie player (25% of the buy-in that wasn't converted into chips at rebuy)
  • Everyone who "dies" becomes a zombie (if they rebuy), so the disease will naturally spread over the course of time
Thoughts?
Cool idea on the bounty only for zombies, I might actually steal this idea. As for only 75% stack and a blind bleed, just from playing last year it will be to much of a penalty for a zombie to have a chance to win. Also as the tournament goes on and there is multiple zombies they don't get to win the bounty (which I like) from other dead. I do like your ideas just my opinion it might just be a tad much.

I could be wrong and it could be totally fine, maybe try it like this and keep us updated! I'd love to know how it went

Thoughts?
Another cool scenario, I don't think it will affect "playing poker". As for discouraged rebuys, this was the reason I dropped my rebuy to half the original buy in. I didn't want less rebuys I wanted the Zombie feel of overload of rebuys. It did just that we had 20 players with 19 rebuys. So maybe lower the buy in so it entices players to get back in even if there is a penalty. A cure could work but trying to keep track of each person's time would be a absolute headache imo. I was thinking what if they dodged a board they put a chip on their zombie card and announce "1" to the table. Then dodge another, repeat. Maybe pick a fair number to reach like 5-8 and if they do that they found a cure. If they hit #4's board though they start all the way over. Just a thought let us know how it all goes!

Cool idea on the bounty only for zombies, I might actually steal this idea. As for only 75% stack and a blind bleed, just from playing last year it will be to much of a penalty for a zombie to have a chance to win. Also as the tournament goes on and there is multiple zombies they don't get to win the bounty (which I like) from other dead. I do like your ideas just my opinion it might just be a tad much.

I could be wrong and it could be totally fine, maybe try it like this and keep us updated! I'd love to know how it went

The human-only-bounty’s there to discourage people playing crazy.
The ante just needs to be managed, don’t let it grow out of control and it shouldn’t be much of an issue :)

The human-only-bounty’s there to discourage people playing crazy.
The ante just needs to be managed, don’t let it grow out of control and it shouldn’t be much of an issue :)
Out of control is what I'm looking for :dead: ;)

Thoughts?
I like you're Bounty idea to promote hunting zombies. In my version humans become zombies if they are beaten at showdown by a zombie - this represents the danger of coming face to face with a zombie, it gives the zombie extra strength at showdown, but the Bounty would balance this out a bit. I won't able to implement it this year but I'll give it some thought for next time. Anyone who implements this let us know how it goes.

As for the 75% stack I have to agree with the concerns of @toynoob - my zombie anti is equal to the sb and as the tournament processes it becomes brutal. As a result, news zombies in my game get 150% stack. This represents the initial strength and danger of newly turned zombies, but even with the extra 50% of they don't play aggressively and feed often enough they Decay away to nothing.

I like you're Bounty idea to promote hunting zombies. In my version humans become zombies if they are beaten at showdown by a zombie - this represents the danger of coming face to face with a zombie, it gives the zombie extra strength at showdown, but the Bounty would balance this out a bit. I won't able to implement it this year but I'll give it some thought for next time. Anyone who implements this let us know how it goes.

As for the 75% stack I have to agree with the concerns of @toynoob - my zombie anti is equal to the sb and as the tournament processes it becomes brutal. As a result, news zombies in my game get 150% stack. This represents the initial strength and danger of newly turned zombies, but even with the extra 50% of they don't play aggressively and feed often enough they Decay away to nothing.

I'd limit the ante to below SB then, or punish them with double blinds on their turn or something. I can imagine having a SB-sized ante being fucking murder at the table. Not sure how you can maintain that level with any level of aggro.

I'd limit the ante to below SB then, or punish them with double blinds on their turn or something. I can imagine having a SB-sized ante being fucking murder at the table. Not sure how you can maintain that level with any level of aggro.
Just to be clear, Zombies only pay the ante when they are in the SB position, so it's basically the same cost as a double SB or single BB. They don't pay it every hand, just once an orbit.

To the less astute zombie this can seem like a small penalty to pay for an extra 50% in chips, but a few levels later the rot really starts to set in if they haven't utilised their initial strength.

I think next year I might incorporate the Bounty idea into my bonus payouts (I can't this year as the posters are already done), eg "Zombie Hunter" would be a guaranteed payout for the player who has collected the most Bounties and thus killed the most zombies.

I'm hosting my Zombie tournament tomorrow and so far it's looking like we will be 8 handed, which is a good turn out for me! Fingers crossed nobody backs out last minute, although there's always one :cautious:

I'm really looking forward to it though! :D I'll try to post a dedicated thread soon after if I can remember to take some interesting photos and not get so drunk that I can't remember how it went :whistle: :whistling::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

20201008_190834.jpg

Had a thought on this one.

Everyone gets T20,000 to start. Normal game until someone gets knocked out, that person becomes a zombie and gets 75% of their starting stack, but has to post small blind every hand, on top of their regular blinds.

If you get beaten by a zombie at showdown, you are considered "bitten", You have to ante 100 for an orbit, with ante's increasing until your ante's reaches the small blind, at which point you become a zombie as well and can no longer come back. (Maybe if you knock out the zombie who bit you, you are cured).

Each Zombie chip (see the ones I have below) is worth a bounty if collected by a non-zombie player.

It's so unorthodox I may run it with a small ($25) buyin. It might be a bit of an admin nightmare, but I'm up for it.

Capture.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom