Gunnar's Homegame - Hrútar (1 Viewer)

Gunnar

Flush
Reaction score
So long time overdue is to make a real thread about me and my game.

About me.
My name is Gunnar ( 23 ), I'm married and have two amazing boys. I'm educated in Electrical engineering and Microsoft systems. In the past few years I have been working as a system administrator but for the last 20months I have been working as a high level security technician in fixing, designing and setting up security systems for companies. ( From small companies to banks and prisons )
dealer training.jpg

To add to that I also have my own company. My family bought out my original partner so I own 50% in both pokerstore.is and gafnaljos.is . Two online stores, one supplies the homegames and the underground games in Iceland with poker supplies and the other one is a toy store with SMART toys.

My hobbies are photography, poker and sports. I have my have my own studio for photographing and Im getting quite good in photographing pokerchips at least.

Here is a photo from me.
34533030621_d47ef5189f_o.jpg

But lets cut to the real deal.... Poker
So I started playing poker in school around 10 years old, my father showed my how to play and I thought my friends. Now 13 years later I still play and safe to say I have gotten better at the game with the years. I have always been really good with numbers and I have taken some extra work in teaching debating and body language that has given me an extra edge sometimes.

I have only ever played Holdem as it seems to be the only game that has some popularity in Iceland. Im currently working on it to learn other games and I hope to able to get some players here in Iceland to play more dealers choice. As play style goes I have always thought of my self as an aggressive tournament player. Im not afraid to change between playing styles on the go but I love to bluff and when I pull a big bluff that works I claim the pot face up :p

I have a very strict bankroll that is in the smaller size at the moment since I used some of it to buy an apartment last December. Still I have written down every penny spent and earned since 2012 and the profits are 52.xxx $ My biggest cash is from an online tournament where I took 13K $ but I always prefer live over online but with kids it is ofter hard to be available when the tournaments are. So over the years my play style has evolved and my comfort zone has gone from 5/10kr poker to 100/200kr poker. (0.05/0.10usd to 1/2usd )

I like tournaments more and I generally do better in tournaments than cash games. But the side effect of evolving as a player and like to play with the bigger boys is that my home game has not evolved with me. I always hosted when I was young with the schoolmates.

When I changed school my brother started taking me with him to his group. That was a group that took turns hosting and I found my love for hosting again. Soon I tried to convince the group to play with something else than dice chips and change the minimum buy-in from 10bb to something reasonable. It was a task I could not complete so in 2014 I formed my own group.

In late 2014 Hrútar var born. Hrútar is the Icelandic word for rams. It started off good, we got almost full table every time and hosted once a month. We started using Pokerstore ceramic set.
IMG_1264.JPG
poker-7082.jpg

The year after I designed some chips through my own company that I specifically started through the hate of dice chips and we got our first custom designed set.
IMG_1247.JPG

2015 and 2016 wore the golden years of the club we often got 16-20people. The problem is that the we wore playing micro stakes and normal spending on a night was maybe 10-30$ and when the stakes wore that low some player came to drink and not to play so I started to loose my better players after one or two nights. For me the stakes don´t matter as long people play poker and are not very drunk and sadly that was no longer the case. So I took a bold move and raised the stakes a little bit.

The results is that we got the drunks away but had fewer players. So suddenly we went from two full tables to having troubles manning one. It is not that we did not know more players but wanted to handpick them. I know plenty of 100/200 players but they are to big sharks for my game and the few regulars I had, I did not want to drive them away.

So we slowly built up the crowd again and the group was playing good poker so I bought a custom tournament set.

34501581552_9b53bcbf12_o.jpg

So then 2017 hit.
My wife got pregnant and I started hosting less, to make it worse I kept our cash set with a client and it got stolen.
Later on the pregnancy my wife got sick, that sick that there was no time for hosting and little for playing. In September we got our boy 4 weeks in advance. So maternity leave for me was busy the last months of the year. Next I know the regulars have all found some new games and it is a struggle to get them back.

So 2018 we are in rebuilding face. I have designed and ordered a new cash set in new colors
Hrutar chips paths - 2017-12 - final-PANTONES.png

Lucky that we still have most of the plaques.

And since I bought a new apartment in December it was fit that I convinced the wife to let my order a custom dinner poker table. 220x110cm with raised rail, cupholders in rail, no racetrack and LED.

hrutarcloths.png

First night of year was hosted last Friday. Got 7 people and the total cash hit 73.000isk or 730$. It was a fun night and the rebuilding has started!

Cool story - look forward to meeting you in February in Florida!

Very nice - also looking forward to meeting you next month. I can't commit yet, but I hope to travel to Iceland in October.

Nice! Do you have a photo of the table? I'm looking into getting a table made as well and I think a table with a "topper" is the solution for me.

Fantastic story and beautiful poker setup! Wish I lived near you to play that game. I started playing when I was 14 and had a regular game until marriage and kids took priority. Fast forward 20 years and now that the kids are older i got back in it with a cigar store and hosted games. Really forced me to up my game which I like. I love the comradery and competition. Ordered ceramic hybrids for my home game and help get a custom tournament set for cigar store. I look forward to when the house empties out and I can build a dedicated poker table.:LOL: :laugh:

CLIFFS FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO READ THE OP:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really.

At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom