Great buying strategy (1 Viewer)

surferb

Two Pair
Reaction score
I’m going to have to try this one.

Step one, post a WTB at a price too high. Below was for 2 racks of motor city quarters at $800. Been edited, then closed since.

Step two, get lots of immediate PM offers.

Step three, negotiate back and forth pitting sellers against each other. Tell everyone you didn’t know the pricing.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/motor-city-qaurters.27019/

Like a saavy new car buyer. You can quickly flush out who has what and get price competition. Nicely played.

Step one, post a WTB at a price too high. Below was for 2 racks of motor city quarters at $800. Been edited, then closed since.

Step three, negotiate back and forth pitting sellers against each other. Tell everyone you didn’t know the pricing.

Like a saavy new car buyer. You can quickly flush out who has what and get price competition. Nicely played.
That sounds suspiciously like a dick move.

This is why I shop at ChipMax.com where there is no price negotiation. You pay what’s on the sticker, always a no-haggle price.

Human nature at its finest....

If you post a WTB/WTS (in any aspect of life, not specifically PCF) you should expect a bunch of craziness. Fortunately I have also encountered a lot of fair people.

Hmmm..I wonder how likely that strategy is to scare up a couple barrels of 10¢ Proteges.

If you can't spot the sucker within the first 10 minutes in the classifieds, then; you are the sucker.

rounders.jpg

I've always found 'pm me an offer' negotiations to be.... "inconvenient". You end up in a bidding war which as far as you are concerned could be entirely fictional. When bidding is done in the open so everyone can see everyone also knows what the going price is and what the market is prepared to pay.

Maybe it's a dick move, but it seems to me it's just a capitalist move. Get as much as you can for as little as you can, without breaking the law. It's good business. And business is good. (Or god to some)

The screenname and location (if correct) give me a reasonable guess as to who this may be.

Regardless, that was a super classy move.

I've always found 'pm me an offer' negotiations to be.... "inconvenient". You end up in a bidding war which as far as you are concerned could be entirely fictional....

Maybe it's a dick move, but it seems to me it's just a capitalist move. Get as much as you can for as little as you can....

Well, except that wtb/wts without pricing causes some potential sellers to ignore your ad and perhaps even add you to their selling “black list”.

Well, except that wtb/wts without pricing causes some potential sellers to ignore your ad and perhaps even add you to their selling “black list”.

I don't disagree with that. Maybe you misunderstood my point...

I also hate classifieds where people just don't list a price. I PM someone with interest they PM me back asking for an offer....then I PM an offer...then they PM that the price isn't fair....WTF. Just state in the first place what you think is fair and let people decide if they want to pay it.

There is nowhere else in life I have experienced this. YOU are the seller so decide what you want to sell for don't make me come up with some bullshit.

I also hate classifieds where people just don't list a price. I PM someone with interest they PM me back asking for an offer....WTF.

There is nowhere else in life I have experienced this. YOU are the seller so decide what you want to sell for don't make me come up with some bullshit.
And then they act all pissy when they felt like you lowballed them

And then they act all pissy when they felt like you lowballed them

Well exactly. If someone asks me for an offer I will always lowball them cuz they already pissed me off by not being straightforward and listing a price.

Imagine walking into a store and bringing something up to the cashier and then the cashier ask what you want to pay for it. You say 200 then he replies no no no I would never sell for that....uhhhh ok.

I really dont understand this...

I also hate classifieds where people just don't list a price. I PM someone with interest they PM me back asking for an offer....then I PM an offer...then they PM that the price isn't fair....WTF. Just state in the first place what you think is fair and let people decide if they want to pay it.

And I guess it brings us back to the OP. In my case I've played Hold'em now for maybe a decade or so, but my chip experience is probably limited to about 6-9 types, no more. So for me there's simply no way of knowing what a set of chips is worth without doing research. If the person states the price off the bat then I'll know immediately if it's within my budget or not which saves everyone some time. But as the OP points out, if this is all supposed to be a game on the market then anything goes. If sellers don't want to post a price with the hopes of inflating it to what the market can bare (when blind) then it's just as fair to use the "highball" approach the OP suggested... or, is it not?

I just sort of prefer either straight up sales prices or something like eBay where the auction is pretty much visible, or "official".

I don't disagree with that. Maybe you misunderstood my point...

Don’t think so — I agree completely with your first part which I quoted, and am just pointing out a possible by-product of the “capitalist move” part.

And I guess it brings us back to the OP. In my case I've played Hold'em now for maybe a decade or so, but my chip experience is probably limited to about 6-9 types, no more. So for me there's simply no way of knowing what a set of chips is worth without doing research. If the person states the price off the bat then I'll know immediately if it's within my budget or not which saves everyone some time. But as the OP points out, if this is all supposed to be a game on the market then anything goes. If sellers don't want to post a price with the hopes of inflating it to what the market can bare (when blind) then it's just as fair to use the "highball" approach the OP suggested... or, is it not?

I just sort of prefer either straight up sales prices or something like eBay where the auction is pretty much visible, or "official".

I am on the nooby side as well. My beef is just that this isn't how life works. Sellers don't ask buyers to name a price without some type of starting point. Like a seller could say 220/rack but open to offers so at least you have established a range where the negotiation will take place.

How convoluted would eBay be if there were just items listed with no prices and you had to directly PM the seller what you would pay....its ridiculous imo.

there's simply no way of knowing what a set of chips is worth without doing research.
And therein lies the rub. Educate yourself. Do the research. Ask questions, publicly and privately. The people with knowledge here have done it, and you probably should too.

I totally understand that not everybody here is an expert, especially on matters of pricing. And the market segments are so large and convoluted (mfg, type, origin, usage, condition, etc.) that it can be a daunting task to some. But you can usually get a pretty good idea on the value of an item with a little effort, merely by looking it up in the classifieds/eBay and asking a few knowledgeable people who own or may have owned them or similar items. The information is usually out there. Make an effort to find it.

Not directed at any single individual, but rather a generalized response/tip to those who may feel at a disadvantage when it comes to pricing and negotiation. Get smart.

I remember someone trying to do that with some Terrible's trimoons that are hard to get. This seller didn't know that a few of us buyers were sharing his "strategy" in PMs. Seller did not extract full value as a result. :D

^^ and yet another reason why it is not optimal to hold multiple pricing negotiations in private vs transparently in public view. They may, in fact, not be private.

And therein lies the rub. Educate yourself. Do the research. Ask questions, publicly and privately. The people with knowledge here have done it, and you probably should too.

I totally understand that not everybody here is an expert, especially on matters of pricing. And the market segments are so large and convoluted (mfg, type, origin, usage, condition, etc.) that it can be a daunting task to some. But you can usually get a pretty good idea on the value of an item with a little effort, merely by looking it up in the classifieds

Well that was the problem I was pointing out right there.

I totally understand that not everybody here is an expert, especially on matters of pricing. And the market segments are so large and convoluted (mfg, type, origin, usage, condition, etc.) that it can be a daunting task to some. But you can usually get a pretty good idea on the value of an item with a little effort, merely by looking it up in the classifieds/eBay and asking a few knowledgeable people who own or may have owned them or similar items. The information is usually out there. Make an effort to find it.

Not directed at any single individual, but rather a generalized response/tip to those who may feel at a disadvantage when it comes to pricing and negotiation. Get smart.
One of the reasons it annoys the shit out of me when sellers delete prices in their classifieds and just put SOLD. There may have been a different price negotiated, if you dont want to put that then at least leave the original asking price so people can establish a baseline idea in the future

Same for totally deleting items that have been sold in a multi-item listing -- all of the information needed for future references by buyers and sellers is lost.

I am a big fan of using the strike-out feature in those instances. It clearly indicates the item is no longer available, without removing any of the data.

All I know is if somebody said, "I'll pay $400 for a rack of these, and I said okay, here you go, where do I send them, and he replied with a lower offer, I'd be pissed.

All I know is if somebody said, "I'll pay $400 for a rack of these, and I said okay, here you go, where do I send them, and he replied with a lower offer, I'd be pissed.

On either end of it, buying or selling, if the other person throws out a price I will never go above/below that in their favor. If they try to move the price after they offer a certain amount I will flat tell them that "$x-offer" is the absolute best they're going to get.

This is why I shop at ChipMax.com where there is no price negotiation. You pay what’s on the sticker, always a no-haggle price.

Tried to check out ChipMax.com and got an error message like it doesn't exist! Any help here?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom