Cars Under 15k (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
My boy's car is 20 years old. It broke down last week and the estimated repair bill is close to 2k. Doesn't make since to fix it. He 19. He has had this car for 5 years. Its mostly been good for him. He is tired of the random repair bills from owning a used car. He is hesitant to buy a car that is 10 years old and go though this shit again. He realistically only needs a car for the next 3-5 years. After that he should be drawing a real check. He will finish his bachelor's degree after the winter semester (debt free to boot). Then he said he will need another 2-3 years to intern if he wants to do it right.

He has 10k saved up. We'll pay for the rest. It'll start out as a loan, but I'm sure we'll eat some of it which I don't mind. He is a good kid. Actually, he is a great kid.

I've only had time to do a few searches. Came up with this article. I copy and pasted some of the what I thought to be highlights

I haven't car shopped in quite some time. Thoughts? suggestions? I think we will be looking for something in the 15k range either from 2013 to new. Car will be insured under my name with him as a secondary driver if that matters.

Out of this list he said the Scion and Accent had potentials. I haven't looked up any reviews on them yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-new-cars-under-15-000-112802/

10) 2016 Nissan Versa - MSRP $11,990

The 2016 Nissan Versa is the least expensive car on our list of the best new cars under $15k. In fact, the Nissan Versa sedan is the cheapest vehicle for sale in the United States, a title it has held for several years now. The Versa's large interior makes it an exceptionally comfortable subcompact for those riding in the back seat, and although the base model doesn't offer a lot in terms of standard features, it does come with a CD player and air conditioning. The Nissan Versa's 1.6-liter, 109-horsepower four-cylinder engine offers decent fuel mileage of 31 mpg city and 40 mpg highway, figures that it achieves when swapping the entry-level five-speed manual for the sedan's optional continuously variable

Honorable Mention: 2016 Scion iA - MSRP $16,495

The 2016 Scion iA, all new for this year, is the first sedan available from Toyota’s youth-oriented brand. Though the iA comes in a bit higher than our target price, it deserves a mention specifically because of Scion’s no-haggle pricing strategy, which means it comes in just one well-equipped trim level. That is, buyers who are happy with a manual transmission can actually drive away in a nicely outfitted Scion iA for MSRP, without any haggling or unpleasant negotiating. An automatic transmission costs a bit more, but otherwise, the Scion iA is a pretty painless way to get a 106-horsepower compact car.

8) 2016 Kia Rio - MSRP $14,165

The 2016 Kia Rio is the brand's value-oriented yet feature-laden subcompact that shares a chassis with the Hyundai Accent. Both the sedan and hatchback boast clean and sporty profiles, helping them stand out from the crowd, and are powered by a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine good for a healthy 138 horsepower. All Rios come with a six-speed automatic transmission; the manual option was discontinued for this year. Fuel mileage is rated at 27 mpg around town and 38 mpg highway.

6) 2016 Chevrolet Sonic - MSRP $14,345

The 2016 Chevrolet Sonic can be though of as the Spark's bigger brother, one of the best new cars under $15,000 that represents the renaissance of GM's small car program. The Chevrolet Sonic is a comfortable cruiser, can seat as many as five passengers, and is offered in both sedan and hatchback models, although it might be a challenge to score most configurations under the cutoff price. The Chevrolet Sonic, in base trim, provides a 1.8-liter inline-four engine yielding 138 horsepower, which can be paired to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Even entry level Sonics are nicely equipped, featuring a Bluetooth wireless interface, keyless entry, and alloy wheels

2) 2016 Nissan Versa Note - $14,230

The 2016 Nissan Versa Note is a five-seat, four-door hatchback version of the less-expensive Versa sedan (which will be discussed a few pages down). It comes powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 109 horsepower, and offers the choice of a five-speed manual or a continuously variable transmission. The cabin and cargo area both offer more generous space than other vehicles in the compact car class, and the Versa Note offers a more comprehensive equipment list than the base Versa. Options such as an all-around camera monitoring system, remote keyless entry, and Bluetooth are available in the otherwise spartan hatchback.

1) 2016 Hyundai Accent - MSRP $14,745

For 2016, the Hyundai Accent leads off our look at the top new cars under $15,000. Available as both a sedan and a hatchback, a strong list of standard equipment has helped to push it even closer to the front of the subcompact pack. Throw in the fact that the 2016 Hyundai Accent's 137-horsepower, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine gets 27 mpg in city driving and 38 mpg on the highway and there's a lot to like about this affordable entry level option. Opting for the available automatic transmission, however, pushes both models above the $15k threshold.

My boy's car is 20 years old. It broke down last week and the estimated repair bill is close to 2k. Doesn't make since to fix it. He 19. He has had this car for 5 years. Its mostly been good for him. He is tired of the random repair bills from owning a used car. He is hesitant to buy a car that is 10 years old and go though this shit again. He realistically only needs a car for the next 3-5 years. After that he should be drawing a real check. He will finish his bachelor's degree after the winter semester (debt free to boot). Then he said he will need another 2-3 years to intern if he wants to do it right.

He has 10k saved up. We'll pay for the rest. It'll start out as a loan, but I'm sure we'll eat some of it which I don't mind. He is a good kid. Actually, he is a great kid.

I've only had time to do a few searches. Came up with this article. I copy and pasted some of the what I thought to be highlights

I haven't car shopped in quite some time. Thoughts? suggestions? I think we will be looking for something in the 15k range either from 2013 to new. Car will be insured under my name with him as a secondary driver if that matters.

Out of this list he said the Scion and Accent had potentials. I haven't looked up any reviews on them yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-new-cars-under-15-000-112802/

10) 2016 Nissan Versa - MSRP $11,990

The 2016 Nissan Versa is the least expensive car on our list of the best new cars under $15k. In fact, the Nissan Versa sedan is the cheapest vehicle for sale in the United States, a title it has held for several years now. The Versa's large interior makes it an exceptionally comfortable subcompact for those riding in the back seat, and although the base model doesn't offer a lot in terms of standard features, it does come with a CD player and air conditioning. The Nissan Versa's 1.6-liter, 109-horsepower four-cylinder engine offers decent fuel mileage of 31 mpg city and 40 mpg highway, figures that it achieves when swapping the entry-level five-speed manual for the sedan's optional continuously variable

Honorable Mention: 2016 Scion iA - MSRP $16,495

The 2016 Scion iA, all new for this year, is the first sedan available from Toyota’s youth-oriented brand. Though the iA comes in a bit higher than our target price, it deserves a mention specifically because of Scion’s no-haggle pricing strategy, which means it comes in just one well-equipped trim level. That is, buyers who are happy with a manual transmission can actually drive away in a nicely outfitted Scion iA for MSRP, without any haggling or unpleasant negotiating. An automatic transmission costs a bit more, but otherwise, the Scion iA is a pretty painless way to get a 106-horsepower compact car.

8) 2016 Kia Rio - MSRP $14,165

The 2016 Kia Rio is the brand's value-oriented yet feature-laden subcompact that shares a chassis with the Hyundai Accent. Both the sedan and hatchback boast clean and sporty profiles, helping them stand out from the crowd, and are powered by a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine good for a healthy 138 horsepower. All Rios come with a six-speed automatic transmission; the manual option was discontinued for this year. Fuel mileage is rated at 27 mpg around town and 38 mpg highway.

6) 2016 Chevrolet Sonic - MSRP $14,345

The 2016 Chevrolet Sonic can be though of as the Spark's bigger brother, one of the best new cars under $15,000 that represents the renaissance of GM's small car program. The Chevrolet Sonic is a comfortable cruiser, can seat as many as five passengers, and is offered in both sedan and hatchback models, although it might be a challenge to score most configurations under the cutoff price. The Chevrolet Sonic, in base trim, provides a 1.8-liter inline-four engine yielding 138 horsepower, which can be paired to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Even entry level Sonics are nicely equipped, featuring a Bluetooth wireless interface, keyless entry, and alloy wheels

2) 2016 Nissan Versa Note - $14,230

The 2016 Nissan Versa Note is a five-seat, four-door hatchback version of the less-expensive Versa sedan (which will be discussed a few pages down). It comes powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 109 horsepower, and offers the choice of a five-speed manual or a continuously variable transmission. The cabin and cargo area both offer more generous space than other vehicles in the compact car class, and the Versa Note offers a more comprehensive equipment list than the base Versa. Options such as an all-around camera monitoring system, remote keyless entry, and Bluetooth are available in the otherwise spartan hatchback.

1) 2016 Hyundai Accent - MSRP $14,745

For 2016, the Hyundai Accent leads off our look at the top new cars under $15,000. Available as both a sedan and a hatchback, a strong list of standard equipment has helped to push it even closer to the front of the subcompact pack. Throw in the fact that the 2016 Hyundai Accent's 137-horsepower, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine gets 27 mpg in city driving and 38 mpg on the highway and there's a lot to like about this affordable entry level option. Opting for the available automatic transmission, however, pushes both models above the $15k threshold.
how bad are your winters? Michigan gets hit pretty hard from what I know. A combination of good gas mileage for a twenty-something and being reliable is what I would think is most important

Not that I want the competition for my favorite car, but the VW Passat wagon from 2008 is a hella deal and fantastic.

Personally, I would look for a slightly used (10-30k) mileage car as then the largest depreciation hit has already happened and you can get some more car for your $$. As far as something comparable to what you are already looking at I would add in the Mazda 3 to your list. I bought one of those for my wife in 2008 and it currently has 75k miles on it and that thing has been bulletproof. I've only had to do regular maintenance, put 2 new sets of tires on, and swap out the front pads/rotors (back ones are still original). I've never had to fix anything else on it. We have a manual in it and it gets about 30MPG around town. Honestly, I was skeptical when we bought it, and only got it because it was what my wife 'had' to have from everything we looked were looking at at the time. In the end, I couldn't be happier with it and I'm a "car guy."

Just doing a quick search you can find the 2012-2015 models with about 10-20k miles on it for right around 15k depending on optioning.

Cars have come a long way - they're pretty much like smartphones now. People love to split hairs but anything you buy in the new or slightly-used (from a reputable used dealer) category will do him just fine and absolutely kick the ass of whatever that car was that he was driving. Controlling factors should be what appeals to him, and what deals on particular vehicles are available locally.

I'd also second something that isn't "brand" new. Why take that huge hit on a depreciating brand new vehicle. I'd just go out and start test driving a bunch of different makes and models and see what he likes. I've personally bought cars that were on Motor Trends top 10 list and other lists and thought the cars were terrible and vice versa for cars they thought were terrible.

Leave the new car thing alone. Several have said it. A few years old in that 15k to 30k mileage range. Lot of car for the same money!

You can get pretty good deals on fleet vehicles...i got a 2014 chevy impala (october 14) with 14k miles for 14.5k...lots of those types of well maintained, barely used, cheap cars still under warrenty

I'm also in the "few years old" camp, let someone else pay the depreciation and get more car for your dollar. I recommend getting something in the 25-35K range for mileage on it. Also, haggle like a motherfucker!

When your son is ready to negotiate the price of the vehicle:

1. Start with the low-end of the trade-in value for what you offer to pay for the vehicle (i.e. if the dealer would pay 9K if you were to trade that vehicle in today, that's where you start, low)

2. Know the value of the car and have a price in mind that you would be happy paying

3. When the dealer drops their price, you up yours, but less than they dropped theirs (i.e. They want 13K, you offer 9K, they drop to 12500, you increase to 9300. Make sure they're giving up more at every step than you are giving up)

4. Be willing to get up and walk out. No salesman wants to have wasted the past 2 hours they spent with you, they want that sale. If you show you're willing to get up and leave if they won't meet you at a certain rate, they'll usually come rushing to try and meet you in the middle of the offers you both just had on the table.

5. Watch for hidden fees, watch for dealers trying to push you into their financing options which they get a cut on, they do not have your bests interests at heart.

6. Don't get married to the car, or don't let the dealer know if you've fallen in love with it. There's always another dealer right down the street with a comparable vehicle that would be happy to take your business. You're in the driving seat here, not them.

Teaching your son these important steps now while he's young will definitely benefit him as he goes throughout life. I didn't start haggling until I got into my 30's, there's a lot of financial stuff that I was never taught (in school or by my parents) that I wish I knew two decades ago. Fortunately there's TONS of information online to help these days.

Tell him to walk, my parents had to walk to school 10 miles to and from, in the snow!

Kids these days :)

I'd tell him to take a look at the Hertz car sales program. My stepdaughter bought a car through them a little while ago and it was a great process. Their algorithm for pricing seems to have some flaws and she was able to find several cars they listed well below market. There is no haggling and there's no browsing. You find the car online and sign up to check it out. Some can be shipped to you for sale locally even if they are currently at another Hertz location. The vast majority of the cars are 1-2 years old with about 30k miles.

The Car Talk guys recommended buying from car rental services for years and I was always skeptical, but when we took this one to the mechanic to have him check it out it was in pristine shape and he said he'd seen a ton of cars sold through Hertz/Avis/etc. and that they were all kept in spectacular condition compared to the wear put on by a private owner in 30k miles.

I'd tell him to take a look at the Hertz car sales program. My stepdaughter bought a car through them a little while ago and it was a great process. Their algorithm for pricing seems to have some flaws and she was able to find several cars they listed well below market. There is no haggling and there's no browsing. You find the car online and sign up to check it out. Some can be shipped to you for sale locally even if they are currently at another Hertz location. The vast majority of the cars are 1-2 years old with about 30k miles.

The Car Talk guys recommended buying from car rental services for years and I was always skeptical, but when we took this one to the mechanic to have him check it out it was in pristine shape and he said he'd seen a ton of cars sold through Hertz/Avis/etc. and that they were all kept in spectacular condition compared to the wear put on by a private owner in 30k miles.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Its appreciated.

I've never heard of this program. We will definitely look into it.

Leave the new car thing alone

The only thing is were not car guys. Any repairs the car has to be taken in. I think he is tired of that. Buying a used car is a roll of the die. However, it does make more sense to find something that is a few years old.

My wife always buys new (me almost always used). We both keep our vehicles for 10+ years.

My brother had the same need last month for a niece that's staying with him down here in FL for a year or two.

He went to AutoTrader online, searched for "certified" used cars under $12K, and had numerous hits. He ended up buying a pretty basic Ford, one year old, less than 10K miles, with another year and another 12K miles added onto the factory warranty, for <$11K. It has roll-up windows, etc., but looks brand new.

He said all the certified cars were Ford, Hyundai, or one other brand I've forgotten. Hyundai is especially popular for basic transportation because they provide a 10 yr, 100K mile power train warranty.

So you might take a look on AutoTrader.com. Good luck!

The only thing is were not car guys. Any repairs the car has to be taken in. I think he is tired of that. Buying a used car is a roll of the die. .

Well, if you do purchase new avoid models that have just been redone, as they usually take a year or two on a new model refresh before they've ironed out many of the bugs, so even a brand new car could have you in the shop getting repairs.

My brother had the same need last month for a niece that's staying with him down here in FL for a year or two.

He went to AutoTrader online, searched for "certified" used cars under $12K, and had numerous hits. He ended up buying a pretty basic Ford, one year old, less than 10K miles, with another year and another 12K miles added onto the factory warranty, for <$11K. It has roll-up windows, etc., but looks brand new.

He said all the certified cars were Ford, Hyundai, or one other brand I've forgotten. Hyundai is especially popular for basic transportation because they provide a 10 yr, 100K mile power train warranty.

So you might take a look on AutoTrader.com. Good luck!

My wife is a Hyundai fan. Has owned two Sante Fe's in the last 15 years. She would still own the first one if it wasn't for some jack ass.

work is crazy (mainly cuz people are stupid). Anyways, I digress. Jake has been doing some research/shopping for cars. He sends me this email. Thoughts? I haven't had time to take @Anthony Martino suggestions and research the blue book value of the used cars. We will do this before driving. Mainly posting to see if anyone has any experience with this vehicles? or just any random opinions.

Thanks again for your participation in this thread.

Bill

The first car being a 2013 Hyundai Accent, here is the link,
http://www.annarborhyundai.com/used-Ann+Arbor-2013-Hyundai-Accent-GLS-KMHCT4AE8DU576452

higher end of the mileage we have been looking at but gets it down to the 10 to 11 thousand range, not my first choice, but maintains the certified pre-owned. I feel as if it is something worth considering because ultimately this would be a solid choice if intent was only to be concerned with the next three to four years.

The second car being a 2013 Ford Fusion, here is the link,
http://www.butmanford.com/used/Ford...0a0e0adf56490981d2183129.htm?searchDepth=7:14

mid range of not only mileage, but price. priced at 13,900. Intent of this being something for its three to four year usage, and can see this being something ali would be into as well, however, again she may not have much of a choice and settle with the hyundai as well. This being a very close second in my mind, however, its biggest flaw is that i am sure it is being sold as pre-owned, not certified pre-owned.

The third car being my personal first choice, but weary of the price is the 2016 scion iA, here is the link,
https://www.scion.com/inventory#!/summary?series=ia&year=2016&modelCode=6263&vehicleId=00000-98da2eda-14d7-4716-a515-3722979ddc87&dealerCode=21043&color=041W&accessories=&zipCode=48197

this then insures with the full 3 year, 36000 mile bumper to bumper, and excellent gas mileage, only thing to get the price into something reasonable, I'd have to learn manual, but that shouldnt be to bad. the intent would be more of a long term even after the three to four years, this option would not be for ali in the future, because in three years she wont be learning manual.

Call up a few dealerships, ask what they have in your pricerange for a cash purchase that has over 1/2 the factory warrenty left. Plan a testdrive day and haggle without getting your heart set on any 1

Call up a few dealerships, ask what they have in your pricerange for a cash purchase that has over 1/2 the factory warrenty left. Plan a testdrive day and haggle without getting your heart set on any 1

I'd avoid mentioning you're purchasing with cash. Dealerships make extra money via finding you financing, so just haggle on the price of the vehicle first, then haggle on your trade if applicable. They don't need to know you're paying cash until the deal is done on the pricing.

FYI - 2012-2013 Fusions had a lot of issues with the Ford gadgetry system (MyFordTouch.) I know this because it was on the short list when I bought a new vehicle in Feb 2014.

For your purposes I'd be looking to buy the Hyundai. Price seems too high with that many miles on it though - you ought to be able to get it down.

For your purposes I'd be looking to buy the Hyundai. Price seems too high with that many miles on it though - you ought to be able to get it down.

Agreed Hyundai is best option by far of those mentioned. Also would be surprised if you couldn't get them down to $10k flat out the door. Obv don't say you're paying cash until the deal is done.

I bought a 2003 Carolla S for 2/3 the new price with 12k miles on it in grad school. I figured it would last the 4 years of grad school then I'd get something nicer. I drove it for over 10 years, and got $3k out of it at re-sale. Never had a mechanical issue with it.

I'm biased towards Toyota and Honda for reliability over American cars. I like European cars, but found they got a little more rattley over time (though I loved my Wolfsburg edition scirocco when it was new).

Anyway, I think Ben was right. Modern cars are all pretty good these days. Find what you like and just get it. Reliability is high across most manufacturers. Hyundai seems to deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I almost bought a Genesis last year, but it can't tow as much as my Carolla could, so I got an SUV.

I think as long as you're not getting blatantly ripped off, you're gonna do fine.

fwiw I drove a Camry and it was boring as fuck (granted it was a basic LE model 2010). In an Altima coupe now and it's a lot more fun. I'd probably go Honda Accord over Camry for a more enjoyable ride with similar reliability and resale value

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom