Cars Under 15k (1 Viewer)

fwiw I drove a Camry and it was boring as fuck (granted it was a basic LE model 2010). In an Altima coupe now and it's a lot more fun. I'd probably go Honda Accord over Camry for a more enjoyable ride with similar reliability and resale value

I believe you that you find these that different to drive, but if I wanted to buy a playful fun car instead of reliable transportation, I wouldn't get either of them. I'd get a VW GTI or a Miata, or a Nissan Z or something actually fun to drive.

As someone who has foolishly purchased a ton of cars (low-end to high-end), my recommendation would be to go with a new car in this price point. If we were talking about a $50k+ car, don't buy new, rather get a de-commissioned service loaner (<10k miles, 10k+ off the price) that is certified and let someone else eat that depreciation.

With a car around $15k, you want something with several years of warranty because a teenager can't afford repairs (assuming you aren't helping a ton). Even if you are mechanically inclined, there are so many computers and crap on new cars that you just won't have the tools to fix many issues. Can you get a more prestigious 3 year old car with 20-30k miles? Absolutely. You also run out of warranty within a year or two.

My recommendation - get a new Hyundai Accent or Kia Forte (5 year /60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty), negotiate a few thousand off the price, and know that there won't be too many problems, and if there are, they are covered (and no, Hyundai and Kia are not crappy like they used to be).

Happy hunting!

I know Hyundai has gotten their shit together, but I have a friend who got a new Kia just a couple years ago, and that warrantee may have covered the repair costs, but it was in the shop constantly. He regretted the purchase. Not sure you really want a warrantee you have to use all the time.

Also, my Corolla saw no significant repairs in 11 years. Cars are well built. I'm not sure how much warrantee you really need these days.

I know Hyundai has gotten their shit together, but I have a friend who got a new Kia just a couple years ago, and that warrantee may have covered the repair costs, but it was in the shop constantly. He regretted the purchase. Not sure you really want a warrantee you have to use all the time.

Also, my Corolla saw no significant repairs in 11 years. Cars are well built. I'm not sure how much warrantee you really need these days.
I understand where you are coming from. I've owned both a Hyundai and Kia within the last 5 years. They are sister companies so they are very similar. I did not have an issue with either car, but I have heard from people who have had issues with both. Sometimes cars are just lemons.You are correct in that a Corolla is a decent option, but they start in the $17k range, so I omitted them. The warranty is only a 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper, but Toyota is the most reliable brand and that warranty will hardly be used.

If I had the option to purchase a 2013/14 Corolla or a 2016 Accent/Forte, I'd probably still take the new car for the warranty (for a teenager). Plus, Toyotas are well made, but I personally find them to be a bit dull (Lexus as well since they are the luxury line). Kias and Hyundais have some cool tech, and I found them to be good options for me at the time.

Purely my opinion. An argument can be made on all sides.

I'll be the first to admit toyotas are boring. I had the 'S' trim package, and it was still a very boring car. Great reliability though. I haven't seen deals like I got that often, but I got a 1 year old 12k mile Corolla for 2/3 the new price, drove it for 10 years, and sold it for $3k (below book value). That car was the best value I'll probably ever have in a car.

Finally got out and test drove some vehicles this morning. It was decided that the compact cars are just to small for him. The Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus were way to small for him. He is about 6'1". The Mazda 6 wasn't bad. There were already a few problems with the one we were driving. Were going to look for one on another lot.

The cars that he drove and added to his list of potentials were a 12 Malibu LTZ with 25k miles and a 12 Impala with 45k miles. He liked both. Liked the Malibu a touch better. Both were in the 13k range. We will obviously haggle if we decide to go with either of these. First we want to see what is on some other lots, test drive some more makes and models.

20160408_110714_zpsxiybi2eu.jpg

Finally got out and test drove some vehicles this morning. It was decided that the compact cars are just to small for him. The Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus were way to small for him. He is about 6'1". The Mazda 6 wasn't bad. There were already a few problems with the one we were driving. Were going to look for one on another lot.

The cars that he drove and added to his list of potentials were a 12 Malibu LTZ with 25k miles and a 12 Impala with 45k miles. He liked both. Liked the Malibu a touch better. Both were in the 13k range. We will obviously haggle if we decide to go with either of these. First we want to see what is on some other lots, test drive some more makes and models.

20160408_110714_zpsxiybi2eu.jpg

Amazing how much car you can buy for $15K

The car looks sharp. LTZ is a nice trim. Being from the Detroit area, I'm sure you appreciate a fine American automobile (well, at least parts are made in the U.S., but that's a different discussion).

Let us know if he decides on the Malibu.

My first car was a '78 Malibu wagon in shitlog brown with a small block V8. I could pack 8 people in that thing and still do 80 on the highway. Those were the days...

Let us know if he decides on the Malibu

Yesterday was the first chance that we had to get out and drive some cars. Were really early in the process. He has said that he isn't in a hurry. Were going to try and get out this morning before he goes to work and hit the Hyundai and Honda dealers on the other side of town.

I appreciate everyone who has participated in this thread.

B

20160409_103658_zps2zr5zexn.jpg

The Accent has moved to a top three. There are a few used ones with low mileage and tons of warranty left or a couple of new ones for just a fraction more. A lot more room in them than we anticipated.

20160409_103658_zps2zr5zexn.jpg

The Accent has moved to a top three. There are a few used ones with low mileage and tons of warranty left or a couple of new ones for just a fraction more. A lot more room in them than we anticipated.
I was actually about to PM you to consider the Elantra as well since your son is 6'1. Little pricier but a little bigger. I'm glad the Accent works.

Just be sure to compare the price of the used to a new. Sometimes it's close enough that you can negotiate the new down to a similar price as the used (used cars don't have as much wiggle room).

Pop some black rims on that Accent and it would be sweet [emoji3]

When I bought my last car, I did all my negotiations by email. I went to edmunds.com, looked up the fair market value of the car I wanted, had edmunds send emails to the local dealers, and they battled against each other for my business.

It was effortless, and dropped my purchase price by quite a bit.

....It was decided that the compact cars are just to small for him. The Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus were way to small for him. He is about 6'1"....

He does know that the seat position is adjustable, doesn't he? :eek:

I assume that's personal preference, rather than actual fit. Which may be why I see so many 60- and 70-something women driving Escalades and Suburbans down here in FL.

I'm 6-3 1/2, and have been driving Miatae and Mazda 3 class vehicles for decades, no problem.

But happy hunting -- hope the search is successful soon.

Jake and Colleen went out again today to test drive a couple of more cars. He also drove the Accent again and that is what he ended up going with. He'll pick it up THUR.
14,500 out the door. Were pitching in 4k for his college grad present (and because he is a great kid).

To say thanks to everyone that participated in this thread I will be doing a give away. If you posted in this thread prior to this post then you will be eligible . I don't know what it will be yet. I'll try and get something up today/tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Bill

Jake and Colleen went out again today to test drive a couple of more cars. He also drove the Accent again and that is what he ended up going with. He'll pick it up THUR.
14,500 out the door. Were pitching in 4k for his college grad present (and because he is a great kid).

To say thanks to everyone that participated in this thread I will be doing a give away. If you posted in this thread prior to this post then you will be eligible . I don't know what it will be yet. I'll try and get something up today/tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Bill
Wish Jake our best with the car!

Thanks again.

Bill

give away for his old car!!

I did the flops. Working on posting them when the laptop took a dump. It'll have to wait until tomorrow

*not a complaint, i just wish to share humerous runbad.

As i was laughing at flopping dead in a plo flip, i was thinking about my trackrecord of never having won any givaway ever, no pulltab, no slot jackpot etc....the runbad ran into my hand and released the grip on my coffeemug. The burn didnt bother me as much as dumping it out onto my phone...lol I'll stick to skillgames

*not a complaint, i just wish to share humerous runbad.

As i was laughing at flopping dead in a plo flip, i was thinking about my trackrecord of never having won any givaway ever, no pulltab, no slot jackpot etc....the runbad ran into my hand and released the grip on my coffeemug. The burn didnt bother me as much as dumping it out onto my phone...lol I'll stick to skillgames

At least there wasn't a buy in for this flip?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom