Glitter or speckled paint (1 Viewer)

Cosmiccow

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten custom chips made with glitter or speckled paint? If so I'm very curious what the end result looked like and the cost associated with doing something like this. Reference pictures are what I'm referring to. Love the Mirage 100s and the glittery 1000 from golden nugget

Attachments

• 20220428_154123.jpg
    20220428_154123.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220312_164234.jpg
    20220312_164234.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 119
I could be wrong, but I think the first photo w/ the 100s is a rare option that GPI offers, and the second looks more like brass flakes to me.

Chips use to have lead in them, to give them weight, when they stopped putting lead in them they started using brass to give them weight.

GPI doesn't sell to the home market, but CPC does, and they have weighted colors that use brass, there are a few examples you can see in the gallery.

Welcome to PCF, check our New Members Start here thread

I believe what you are seeing is the light reflecting off metallic flakes that have been added to the clay-like material before the compression process. Sometimes this is done to add weight, and sometimes to add an esthetic effect.

GPI removed lead from their chips and I don't think they use brass. CPC and ASM never used it and have long used brass.

What you are seeing in the Mirage chips are aluminum (?) flakes used as a security feature.

That definitely makes sense they mixed in brass with the golden nugget chip. Looks like all of the "weighted" CPC colors come with that according to their website. Very curious what is mixed in with the Mirage 100 chip though because the white isn't very reflective and if CPC or some other custom chip manufacturer is open to creating something like this

I emailed CPC if they could possibly mix aluminum instead of brass to replicate the color of a mirage 100 and received a very quick response that they don't do custom colors unfortunately. Seems like the closest you can get to replicating this would be to create a custom "polyclay" from sunfly unless anyone has any other ideas on a place that could replicate this with clay instead of a ceramic and sells to the home market?

The Bellagio '98 chips had aluminum flecks as well.
bellagio 100.jpeg
bellagio edges.jpeg

Photos from @Bill_Man618
It's interesting on the edges how the flakes are all sideways and lathed in a cross-section.

I'm making a set of Bellagio tributes on ceramics, and making "faux" flakes using random white dots, which may or may not reproduce. Awaiting samples to confirm.
bellaginaught 100.jpg

View attachment 941827 View attachment 941828
Photos from @Bill_Man618
It's interesting on the edges how the flakes are all sideways and lathed in a cross-section.

I'm making a set of Bellagio tributes on ceramics, and making "faux" flakes using random white dots, which may or may not reproduce. Awaiting samples to confirm.
View attachment 941831
Inlay looks great! I like the Ø in replacement of the O rather than Bellacio.

View attachment 941827 View attachment 941828
Photos from @Bill_Man618

View attachment 941831
I am VERY interested to see how those ceramics turn out. Do you mind me asking the vendor you are using that is producing them? What is also interesting to me with the ceramics is that you can do this with any color you want. I think gold flakes on a purple would look very nice as well

The Vineyard $20 has the same feature. The flecks seem to be more prominent on worn chips, probably because the metal doesn't wear as quickly as clay. The flecks are barely noticeable on mint chips.

Interestingly, the Mirage/Bellagio $100 chips have flecks on the black base. The Vineyards have flecks only on the edge spots.

B43E5EF0-0BA3-4496-BE53-E3E3BCE342AB.jpeg

Last edited:
The Vineyard $20 has the same feature. The flecks seem to be more prominent on worn chips, probably because the metal doesn't wear as quickly as clay. The flecks are barely noticeable on mint chips.

Interestingly, the Bellagio chips have flecks on the black base. The Vineyards have flecks only on the edge spots.

View attachment 941937
Very interesting to see the fleks only on the edge spots. To me this seems like it's strictly for security purposes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom