Gin. Always gin. (1 Viewer)

Mondaynight

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting for poker chips to dry felt like the perfect time to do a gin inventory. Or… a GINVENTORY, if you will. Anyone else out there big into gin? If so, what are your favorites?

As much as I love trying new gins, I keep coming back to Tanqueray or another London Dry. That Engine Organic Gin (looks like an oil can) is quite good. That and The Botanist probably my current favorites.

IMG_7462.jpeg

IMG_7460.jpeg

I used to crawl through Juniper bushes as a kid, don't care for Gin so much

Used to love Hendricks… Unfortunately in my 50s, gin seems to dissagree with me. Just gin, thankfully. It’s almost a mild allergic reaction. Sucks.

Usually go for Polish home brand Lubuski, however recently tried Wild Burro and it is awsome...

Waiting for poker chips to dry felt like the perfect time to do a gin inventory. Or… a GINVENTORY, if you will. Anyone else out there big into gin? If so, what are your favorites?

As much as I love trying new gins, I keep coming back to Tanqueray or another London Dry. That Engine Organic Gin (looks like an oil can) is quite good. That and The Botanist probably my current favorites.

View attachment 1165119

View attachment 1165120
No bombay (sapphire)?

i thought this was about the best 2 player card game ever and got excited. the booze is fine too, i guess.

Here’s my gin struggle. Maybe someone here can I help. I quite like gin but hate anything carbonated. I make a martini pretty frequently but I’ve been looking for other ways to enjoy the nuances of a gin that A) don’t have any tonic or soda and B) don’t overpower the gin flavors. Suggestions?

Here’s my gin struggle. Maybe someone here can I help. I quite like gin but hate anything carbonated. I make a martini pretty frequently but I’ve been looking for other ways to enjoy the nuances of a gin that A) don’t have any tonic or soda and B) don’t overpower the gin flavors. Suggestions?

Most gins are quite delicious on their own. If you're not a fan of neat gin, but enjoy gin flavor in drinks, try gin straight up - shaken with ice and strained into a cold glass. You certain can't overpower gin that way!

There are many flavor profiles of gin, so each can be enjoyed on its own and can span a large flavor profile.

Here are a few of my fave gin cocktails with no bubbles. Admittedly, most of these do have strong flavors from chartreuse, Aperol, etc.

IMG_7465.png

IMG_7467.png
IMG_7468.png

IMG_7466.png

Ive always assumed that sloe gin had nothing to do with gin, so I normally wouldn’t ask. But since you’ve pictured a bottle, I’ll take a shot. Do you have any idea if there’s a sloe gin shortage? I was making Alabama Slammers for the 4th of July, and I had to check 6 different stores before I found one that had sloe gin, and they only had one bottle left.

As for gin, I drank a lot of Bombay sapphire and Tanqueray in my younger years. Hendricks is nice.

I love gin but I'm not typically much of a drinker - unless @kirchhausen is around to talk me into a wine slushy.
I always have a bottle of Monkey 47 in the house
I also tend to have some in the house. Monkey 47 is the best gin I've tried, but I definitely haven't had very many top shelf brands. I typically just do simple mixed drinks like gin and tonic, but Monkey 47 is good enough to sip on. I'm sure there are others with similar or superior quality.

View attachment 1165119

View attachment 1165120
Just a heads-up, no need to let them "dry", as mineral oil doesn't evaporate. It soaks in, but that can be done without leaving them out.
Now, if youre looking for a good reason to inventory the gin, carry on. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Just a heads-up, no need to let them "dry", as mineral oil doesn't evaporate. It soaks in, but that can be done without leaving them out.
Now, if youre looking for a good reason to inventory the gin, carry on. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
FWIW this was a post-ultrasonic bath "dry," not a mineral oil "dry." However, this advice is still helpful since I had no idea. Currently in the middle of the oiling. Gah my fingers hurt.

Being born and raised in Florida I might be a bit biased, but my go-tos for all things gin have been St. Augustine and Old St. Pete gin. I’ve never been a fan of the super juniper-forward varieties and love the citrus note in these.

My go to London dry style gin is Plymouth. It is the least juniper forward of the london drys and mixes well in every cocktail I have ever thrown at it. Hayman's is a wonderful Old Tom style gin that is a bit sweeter - great on its own or in older cocktail recipes such as the Tom Collins or the Martinez.

1695813477592.png
1695813503903.png

Looks delicious! A variation to try some time: put a splash of green or yellow chartreause on top of the gin and tonic. Hard to get those nowadays, unfortunately. Or a dash of Suze.

What is that cocktail in the background? Looks like a Bee's Knees.
A green chartreuse floater is a staple at our house. It's the only way my wife will drink a G&T. I don't remember what that cocktail in the background was... I think it was a riff on a classic daquiri.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom