SOLD Gear labels samples on Paulson RHC - traveling loan (US only) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having both, I agree with the above that laminated are the way to go.
My chips get used weekly, sometimes 2-3 times per week. I have noticed some wear on some unlaminated labels in well under 1 year.

Anyone interested in me throwing in a couple of chips - 1 with a unlaminated label over the top and 1 with a laminated label replacement?
I can mail them to wherever these are going next to be added to the lot.
LMK

View attachment 282734

Hey Bill, there are both unlaminated overlabels and 2 different styles of laminated inlay replacements in the set already, but I appreciate the offer!

First order of business:
The chips are now on their way to @yone

Next up:
I want to, yet again, thank @msuroo for the opportunity to check out the chips!! Thank you!!!

And lastly, my quick impression of the differences:
For me, this would be a rather difficult choice..
1. Sound-wise, I prefer the unlaminated (label over). I think those sound the most like the original chips. Both of the laminated (complete inlay replacement) chips have a deeper/darker, somewhat "rounded" tone to them. It's not bad by any means, just a slightly lower pitch... I was a bit surprised at their lack of "higher frequencies" as they (theoretically) should be lighter in weight vs. the "label over" chips, and thus create higher frequencies...
2. Feel-wise, I think I prefer the either of the laminated chips (inlays replaced) I definitely like to be able to feel the recess between the inlay/label, albeit slight, when handling a chip individually. With only having a few of each in stacks, it is a bit difficult to tell how different they would feel in larger stacks. Keeping in mind these are "new" chips, I would suspect that any "label over" of a more worn in chip would certainly have different feel... And I'm guessing I might not care for it.
3.Look-wise, aesthetically, they're all fantastic! I would be happy with any of them... Although I believe I prefer the "glossy smooth laminate", if I were going the route of inlay replacement. To my eyes (poor as they are) the "matte" inlay appears closer to what a textured inlay looks like. My comparison being to Empress secondary $5s, and I definitely prefer "crisper", easier to read lines.

***I am speaking specifically of RHC chips only, and I assume there will be differences in all of the above if comparing THC chips... And of course this is merely my personal observation/opinion, so ymmv***
In the end, props to @Gear for his amazing work!!!! They are all awesome, and I will definitely wouldn't hesitate to use his labels!!

I think that's about all I can come up with ATM, so... Hope that helps anyone on the fence, and/or not yet a part of this list!
Cheers!

Last edited:
1. Sound-wise, I prefer the unlaminated (label over). I think those sound the most like the original chips. Both of the laminated (complete inlay replacement) chips have a deeper/darker, somewhat "rounded" tone to them. It's not bad by any means, just a slightly lower pitch... I was a bit surprised at their lack of "higher frequencies" as they (theoretically) should be lighter in weight vs. the "label over" chips, and thus create higher frequencies...

This was somehow the biggest thing for me. By cutting the inlay out, it creates a bigger cavity which makes a cloppy sound when stacking chips. I thought maybe it was the plastic, but I bought a shuffle stack of the AS tourney hotstamps to compare, and they don’t sound like the relabeled chips. You say it isn’t bad, but it’s enough that I can’t seem to get over it. All subjective, of course.

This leads me to wondering about milled hostamps. Hey @Gear, when you mill a chip, is the depth as deep as an inlay removal? If not that may fix the sound problem.

The quest for the perfect semi-custom Paulson continues lol.

I guess the next big question would be, what do you think of THC chips? In my experience, with all of the THC chips that I have, they all sound darker/deeper/duller (I'm assuming "cloppy" as you called it) than any of the RHC chips I have... It also seems that, not only inlay size, but the actual color of the base chip itself plays a part in the tone... Not to mention whether it's inlaid or hot stamped..
My hot stamped chips definitely are the deepest/dullest... Then the darker colors are slightly "brighter" sounding... And finally "neon colors" (Pink Casa $5s) are definitely the brightest sounding of the bunch... But again, they are all THC chips (and the Casa's also have a much larger inlay than the others).
So yeah, definitely seems there are a multitude of factors involved in creating any specific chips sound

I guess the next big question would be, what do you think of THC chips? In my experience, with all of the THC chips that I have, they all sound darker/deeper/duller (I'm assuming "cloppy" as you called it) than any of the RHC chips I have... It also seems that, not only inlay size, but the actual color of the base chip itself plays a part in the tone... Not to mention whether it's inlaid or hot stamped..
My hot stamped chips definitely are the deepest/dullest... Then the darker colors are slightly "brighter" sounding... And finally "neon colors" (Pink Casa $5s) are definitely the brightest sounding of the bunch... But again, they are all THC chips (and the Casa's also have a much larger inlay than the others).
So yeah, definitely seems there are a multitude of factors involved in creating any specific chips sound

I had the same thought lol. Let’s get to work!

Still waiting on gear to get caught up from his vacation, so I don’t have samples yet, but the “blanks” sound very similar to the blank RHCs. That is, they make that cloppy sound that grinds my gears a little bit. Will update once I have labels, ha.

Got the Chips! There are a couple of PCFers in New York that I’m going to show them to on Thursday. @Run 'Em pm me your address, I’ll send them out by the end of the week or Monday at the latest.

@msuroo thank you so much for making this possible. This was such great insight! First, I would like to ask the list if any of you mind if I wait until Tuesday to send it out. I wasn’t able to meet up with the local PCFers to show them the sample set this week.
As already stated in this post, there is a sound difference between the labeled and inlay replacement. I don’t know if it’s the sound that’s playing tricks with my mind, but the unaltered and label chips feel more solid. The inlay replacement chips seem to rattle or vibrate more easily. The unlamented and originals slap together like they have magnets in them when you drop them on each other in stacks.
I do like the inlay replacements better than the labels. Just because I could see the white edge of the label on the over label chips. I’ll post more if I have any more thoughts.
Thanks again!

Just arrived today. Will forward to @suited67 when done playing with them. I prefer the look and feel of the laminated chips but there is definitely a cloppy sound but its close enough to a clacky sound that it doesn't bother me. Both look good. I'd prefer the laminated but I'm too lazy too remove the labels and use the laminated labels. Probably will stick with unlaminated for right now. They are damn good for 10 cents each and a lot less work. Plus you never actually have to commit chip murder with the unlaminated labels :)

Can I switch places with @CW23? I won’t have access to my mail until Monday. I don’t want to hold things up.
Hi,
It will probably be Friday or Saturday before they go out anyway. Got called away on a emergency business.
So you should be good
My Best Jeff

Hi,
It will probably be Friday or Saturday before they go out anyway. Got called away on a emergency business.
So you should be good
My Best Jeff

Okay. In then we can keep the same order. You can send them to me. I will send you a PM with my address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom