SOLD Gear labels samples on Paulson RHC - traveling loan (US only) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msuroo

Straight
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Inspired by @navels and his traveling CPC color samples...

I’ve seen a few questions around the forums lately about @Gear labels, particularly as they relate to Jacks. I had these same questions myself, so I ordered some samples so I could compare overlabels vs inlay replacement, and smooth vs matte finish. Then I went to work butchering some HS Cincis.

I learned a lot about the look/feel/sound of the various options, and figure I can pass that experience on to the community. Chips are currently on their way to @kaimat - if you are interested in taking a turn with them, sign up in this thread. No charge, other than the cost of sending the chips on to the next person. I’ll maintain the list here, but coordinate addresses via PM directly with the next person on the list, and update with progress in this thread. For logistical reasons, US only please.

The list:
@kaimat
@Taghkanic
@ReallyGoodUsername
@anotherdaydown
@Meathooke
@yone
@Run 'Em
@asam2006
@suited67 -we are here-
@auto
@CW23

Last edited:
@Gear should include some sample sized discs with his sample set. Discs not labels so you can use them over and over.

He sent me a set of labels for sizing and it was fantastic for getting the proper fit.

@Gear should include some sample sized discs with his sample set. Discs not labels so you can use them over and over.

He sent me a set of labels for sizing and it was fantastic for getting the proper fit.

Shrug, I’m not sure how much a generic disc would help. The chip you are using matters as much (if not more) than the label to the final product. This actually prompted me to edit the title to be clear that we are taking about RHCs. Obviously this may not be helpful if you are looking to relabel ASMs or BJs or whatever.

Shrug, I’m not sure how much a generic disc would help. The chip you are using matters as much (if not more) than the label to the final product. This actually prompted me to edit the title to be clear that we are taking about RHCs. Obviously this may not be helpful if you are looking to relabel ASMs or BJs or whatever.

This was pretty helpful, but maybe close is good enough for you. [shrugs]

1BD1B96A-8C88-4017-99E7-3321DFDBF52F.jpeg

This was pretty helpful, but maybe close is good enough for you. [shrugs]

View attachment 275741

Ah, sorry - I misunderstood. Yeah, for sizing I could see reusable discs. I just told Gear I needed RHC size and he knew what to do, ha. This project for me was more about feeling the different label types in my hand.

The point of the sample set is pretty much everything EXCEPT the diameter of the label. Reusable discs for sizing are not a bad idea, but it's very specifically and deliberately not part of the sample kit.

The point of the sample set is pretty much everything EXCEPT the diameter of the label. Reusable discs for sizing are not a bad idea, but it's very specifically and deliberately not part of the sample kit.

Cool. It just seemed like with a lot of people home milling anymore it might help. Different runouts and bits sized slightly different from different manufacturers, you never know.

Cool. It just seemed like with a lot of people home milling anymore it might help. Different runouts and bits sized slightly different from different manufacturers, you never know.
Yeah, I'm not saying a diameter-size sample set would be a bad idea (it wouldn't) I'm just saying it isn't part of the label sample sets. The point of the label samples is to demonstrate the different laminate types and thicknesses only.

This is a great thread and what makes this community great.
I had a million questions when I ventured down my first relabel project. Fortunately @Gear and many others were great at answering all my questions about the unknown.
Presently I am now moving on from the "relabel" to a full label replacement of the same chips. Again, in this process I had/have many questions and Gear and others have helped me try to understand/comprehend all the variables all over again.
I have "inlay replacement" labels in route from Gear and would be happy to add to the traveling kit a couple of chips to show the difference between a label over and a label replacement.
Once I have some chips completed i'll check back here and see if anyone thinks it is worth it to include those examples.

Me too! Definitely would like to be added to the list please! I was just asking around about how overlable and inlay replacements were like.

These just shipped out to the next recipient, @ReallyGoodUsername ...

Below is a pic of the chips, but it doesn’t really show much.

The matte unlaminated labels are the brightest/most saturated of the three types included, followed by the glossy smooth laminated.

The glossy matte laminated are to my eye noticeably cloudier/duller in person.

3216A898-A200-4536-A29E-E9F528D2124C.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I'd like to have a chance to check 'em out too, if I may?
Thanks a million! :)
Me too! Definitely would like to be added to the list please! I was just asking around about how overlable and inlay replacements were like.

Added.

These just shipped out to the next recipient, @ReallyGoodUsername ...

Below is a pic of the chips, but it doesn’t really show much.

The matte unlaminated labels are the brightest/most saturated of the three types included, followed by the glossy smooth laminated.

The glossy matte laminated are to my eye noticeably cloudier/duller in person

View attachment 280069

Agree that it’s hard to capture the differences in a picture, but they really are all very different in the hand. I was most surprised by the sound - it really changes something when you cut the inlay out. While I didn’t favor the look or feel of the overlabel as much, they definitely sound closest to the original. Curious to see if the impact is smaller on a THC with the smaller inlay - my hunch is yes, given that THCs sound a little deeper than RHCs when unbutchered. (Stay tuned - that’s coming up next, ha.)

I would probably choose the glossy vinyl smooth laminated, for durability with less color dulling than the other laminated alternative. Only the matte unlamented has a true white.

I would probably choose the glossy vinyl smooth laminated, for durability with less color dulling than the other laminated alternative. Only the matte unlamented has a true white.
I can't picture matte unlaminated or glossy vinyl smooth laminated in my head at all... so I'm glad I'll be seeing them in person soon :D

The glossy vinyl smooth laminated has a clearer color than the glossy vinyl matte laminated, which seems greyer/cloudier. The sooth gives off a bit more glare under certain light, but I didn't find it distracting.

Anyway, you'll see in person soon...

After having both, I agree with the above that laminated are the way to go.
My chips get used weekly, sometimes 2-3 times per week. I have noticed some wear on some unlaminated labels in well under 1 year.

Anyone interested in me throwing in a couple of chips - 1 with a unlaminated label over the top and 1 with a laminated label replacement?
I can mail them to wherever these are going next to be added to the lot.
LMK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom