Game of Thrones (HBO Series - NO BOOK SPOILERS) (2 Viewers)

#Truth

lovestory.png

this was helpful for me even though i rewatched the whole damn thing like a few months ago.

First four episodes of Season 5 fairly solid IMO.

HBO Can't be impressed by the leak.

Yeah watched the first ep last night. Will watch a couple more tonight probably.

I'm guessing someone's getting fired at hbo.

Ep 1 was ok, the way hbo goes with the story continually surprises me, they leave out parts from the book that to me should've stayed. Or change parts in the book when if they stuck to the story they'd get the same results.

The scene with a young Cersei was something I think could've been left out. But I guess they know better than me.

I wouldn't want to watch the four leaked episodes and then have a month with no new content to enjoy, so will be patiently watching each week as they are released. That brothel killing scene, at first I thought that was Grey Worm that was being offed and I was like wtf?

I wouldn't want to watch the four leaked episodes and then have a month with no new content to enjoy, so will be patiently watching each week as they are released. That brothel killing scene, at first I thought that was Grey Worm that was being offed and I was like wtf?

I thought the exact same thing.

We watched the first two episodes tonight. Will probably save the other two for next weekend. My wife had the same concern. Watch all 4 last night and then nothing for a month.

Hit up daredevil. First episode was good, not great. Each and every episode has gotten better. I'm through e6 and I'm loving the show. The Kingpin is very impressive.

I'm guessing someone's getting fired at hbo.

all signs point to a critic having leaked a screener. the leaked video has a watermark blurred on the lower left corner that could have been used to identify the recipient of the precise file. i suppose time will tell whether whoever blurred the watermark did so in such a way that it can't be unblurred or whatever on the other end.

The scene with a young Cersei was something I think could've been left out. But I guess they know better than me.

i'm in no way qualified to compare the books to the show, but i loved that opening. how much had been said about that witch's predictions prior to this on the show? i can't recall whether i remember it from my failed attempts to read the books or if it had come up on the show previously. in any case, i thought it was pretty effective and was a good way to allow us to glide back into the story.

i watched the first four eps and i really, really liked if not loved them. i really cannot wait to see where arya and jon snow's stories go.

i watched the first four eps and i really, really liked if not loved them. i really cannot wait to see where arya and jon snow's stories go.

Arya in the books and the shows has been great. Jon Snow in the books I enjoyed, but in the show he's been falling pretty flat for me. We'll see if that turns around this season, but at the moment not a fan

i'm in no way qualified to compare the books to the show, but i loved that opening. how much had been said about that witch's predictions prior to this on the show? i can't recall whether i remember it from my failed attempts to read the books or if it had come up on the show previously. in any case, i thought it was pretty effective and was a good way to allow us to glide back into the story.

I can't remember it being mentioned on the show before. The books it really comes out in the 4th one, I believe it's shows the seeds of her hate and fear of Margaery. I really liked the scene also, I was just more surprised they included it when others (and to me more important to the story) have been completely left out. Eg. Sam the slayer and Black Hands. Sometimes it's seems like the shows creators are trying to steer clear from the "magic" in the books, maybe my expectations are to high because I love the books so much.

Arya in the books and the shows has been great. Jon Snow in the books I enjoyed, but in the show he's been falling pretty flat for me. We'll see if that turns around this season, but at the moment not a fan

Agreed, the show sometimes makes him seem timid (maybe not the right description). Arya is great in both. Won't say more until next week regarding her scenes though.

Sam the slayer and Black Hands.

was googling both of those to see what i'd missed and came upon this thoroughly researched and well-crafted argument:

3e61c4e3797fe3ab6165182c0f2eface186cef170accfdc3c2be0d5f4460a77f.jpg

fair point.

i don't think you're being too tough on the series in comparing it to the books. i can imagine how difficult it is to adapt this stuff, though. GRRM is not exactly known for his succinctness.

so far i'll give them points for being able to structure the series in such a way as to give the viewer the same path as the reader in the books in realizing the humanity and worth of characters most originally judge to be beneath contempt. the books are able to do this with the shifting perspectives and voices to a rashomon-like effect (i read two - maybe two and a half - of the books before surrendering to the show alone). the series is less able to retread ground due to simple time constraints and yet still succeeds in winning over viewers' hearts not by showing dramatic changes on the part of the characters, but somehow by communicating their histories in such a way as to revise viewers' memories of the events which have come before.

i forgot to mention my favorite parts of the premiere episode: they played a recap of the last season and i got to see joffrey and tywin die again. fuck those guys, particularly joffrey.

i forgot to mention my favorite parts of the premiere episode: they played a recap of the last season and i got to see joffrey and tywin die again. fuck those guys, particularly joffrey.

I actually liked Tywin, he didn't pull punches, he did what he felt he needed to do to secure his families place in the power structure.

I actually liked Tywin, he didn't pull punches, he did what he felt he needed to do to secure his families place in the power structure.

the same could be said of basically every sociopathic tyrant. he's a cock.

the same could be said of basically every sociopathic tyrant. he's a cock.

I could agree that Joffrey (and Cersai) are sociopaths, I don't necessarily view Tywin to be nearly close to their level of depravity. He can be cold and calculating, but he isn't out torturing people just for the fun of it like his descendants.

I could agree that Joffrey (and Cersai) are sociopaths, I don't necessarily view Tywin to be nearly close to their level of depravity. He can be cold and calculating, but he isn't out torturing people just for the fun of it like his descendants.

i'm teamcersei a lot of the time. was never and never will be teamtyrant.

I can't remember it being mentioned on the show before. The books it really comes out in the 4th one, I believe it's shows the seeds of her hate and fear of Margaery. I really liked the scene also, I was just more surprised they included it when others (and to me more important to the story) have been completely left out. Eg. Sam the slayer and Black Hands. Sometimes it's seems like the shows creators are trying to steer clear from the "magic" in the books, maybe my expectations are to high because I love the books so much.

It is implied in the books that she kills her friend on the way home by pushing her into a well.

Margery Tyrell FTW!

^^This. So much this. It isn't remotely close.

Margaery-Tyrell-S4.jpg

Also,

"Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle than a dozen at dinner." - Tywin Lannister

Throughout the entire series, this is really the only time anyone expresses a thought that maybe the wanton slaughter of people who are not HIS personal family/friends/close countrymen isn't really cool. Not sure how he could reasonably be labeled a sociopath, other than being a really really shitty dad to a son who he sees as deformed and malignant. (Which, to be honest, my grandfather who I loved to death probably would have done the same in the same situation. Not that that's OK, but hardly makes him a sociopath.) To be sure, he knowingly employs sociopaths to do the really dirty work (Gregor and Sandor Clegane, Vargo Hoat, etc.) so by the transitive property - maybe.

#TeamTywin(sorta)

Agreed Tywin is nothing compared to Cersei and Joffery.

Cersei cares only for herself and kids. And would openly kill anyone who she deems a threat to her own power if able.

Joffery is just plain nuts.

Tywin at least plans for the bigger picture, he may be cold hearted, but he's smart enough to realize his actions have consequences that may be irreversible. Something Joffery (taking Ned Starks head) and Cersei care nothing about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom