Game of Gold ep1 (1 Viewer)

I hope Nikita Luther gets a ton of attention after the show. She seems like a genuinely nice person, who will make you feel great about it after she ruthlessly assassinates you at the poker table.
I agree. Also, I think Maria sometimes gets shit on undeservedly; I was really impressed with her.

As much as I would have loved to see how Kid Poker did, I think Negreanu being eliminated early allowed the show highlight some of the lesser known players.

I’m surprised they didn’t rename Indian Poker for “PC” reasons.

Why, is it not legit? On the surface, it doesn't seem any more or less offensive than Chinese Poker.
Because it's not referring to people from the India subcontinent, but rather the Native Americans or Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples. So it's not quite in fashion to use that term, see Cleveland Indians Guardians. Be kinda like calling a game Eskimo Poker.

Okay, I’ve had some time to think about it. Episode 11 is actually not that bad. It puts you in a tight spot where strategy is extremely important. It maintains all the strategy of real poker, and it accomplishes the goal of reducing the number of players. While I would have preferred to just go to the final table with 9 players and use two episodes for the final table of 9, I’m not mad at the decision.

It was still the least interesting episode of them all, but it was still a good episode. It just took me a minute to appreciate it.

*edited for typos*

Last edited:
Because it's not referring to people from the India subcontinent, but rather the Native Americans or Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples. So it's not quite in fashion to use that term, see Cleveland Indians Guardians. Be kinda like calling a game Eskimo Poker.
Plus the card looked like a feather in the headdress. Not a huge deal, but I figured thats why it was called that.

I’m surprised they didn’t rename Indian Poker for “PC” reasons.
Funny about that, I think I found it vaguely comforting. I just turned 50, and in my lifetime I’ve seen “Indian” go from everywhere to nowhere. One example - when we were kids, we sat on the floor Indian style. Now it’s cross cross applesauce.
I’m the furthest thing from MAGA, I swear. I think the progress we’ve made in political correctness (ie giving consideration and respect to different people and cultures) is a very good thing. That said, hearing a phrase like Indian Poker tossed around - I guess it reminded me of a time in my life when things were simpler. (And maybe this has given me some insight into some aspects of the maga crowd?)

Funny about that, I think I found it vaguely comforting. I just turned 50, and in my lifetime I’ve seen “Indian” go from everywhere to nowhere. One example - when we were kids, we sat on the floor Indian style. Now it’s cross cross applesauce.
I’m the furthest thing from MAGA, I swear. I think the progress we’ve made in political correctness (ie giving consideration and respect to different people and cultures) is a very good thing. That said, hearing a phrase like Indian Poker tossed around - I guess it reminded me of a time in my life when things were simpler. (And maybe this has given me some insight into some aspects of the maga crowd?)
How do you feel about the chant that the chiefs do? I used to love it as a kid (thanks Major League) but now I think it’s awful. It’s ok to change. (I’m a little younger than you are)

How do you feel about the chant that the chiefs do? I used to love it as a kid (thanks Major League) but now I think it’s awful. It’s ok to change. (I’m a little younger than you are)
I think it’s dated and at least a little cringy. But not my team, not my city, not my ethnic group - I don’t think I have much to say about it.

Acknowledging this is a departure from the thread topic…

I think a key difference lies in who gets to decide what a thing is called.

We’ve defaulted mostly to the people in charge, and have recently been more open to people historically underrepresented in those structures being heard.

It’s really messy.

I feel this way about the FSU chant also. I used to love it - I wanted to play football there when I was in high school … now it makes me uncomfortable.

Ah, that's the context that I was missing. So they should just call it something else.

Chinese Poker I can understand, being of that cultural background and growing watching lots of my older relatives play it week in and week out (just like MJ). But I never heard any Chinese person refer to it as Chinese Poker. It was always 13-card Poker to me.

Chinese Poker I can understand, being of that cultural background and growing watching lots of my older relatives play it week in and week out (just like MJ). But I never heard any Chinese person refer to it as Chinese Poker. It was always 13-card Poker to me.
And that’s interesting to me, because I always assumed Chinese poker was like Chinese checkers - not Chinese at all, just different from the standard American version. Live and learn.

And that’s interesting to me, because I always assumed Chinese poker was like Chinese checkers - not Chinese at all, just different from the standard American version. Live and learn.
But Chinese chess is definitely Chinese chess, FYI

I have zero idea where it originated from. But Chinese people sure played it. I doubt my history with this game is much different from other PCF members of Chinese background who grew up with lots of family close by.

It looked like it was just a PLO flip. Basically you just play a hand with no betting.
Oh ok. I have seen streamers mentioning flips being played off stream. I thought it was some intricate game where three cards are dealt, one face up. Hands are revealed, one by one with betting made up front.

I didn’t know what to expect when I watched the first episode. After I watched it I had the same reaction as some thinking, geez totally over produced blah blah.

A day or two later I watched the second episode. Well, I proceeded to binge watch the rest and found it to be a lot of fun. Lol!

I think that it’s a really clever way to reach a wider audience. Live streams of tournaments can be boring especially to those that aren’t into poker.

Turning poker into a team competition with various formats with commentary from the other players was a cool idea. It has all of the elements of a great reality show; some good looking women and some people that you love to hate. Oh yeah, and poker is a bonus!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom