Game of Gold ep1 (1 Viewer)

I didn’t know what to expect when I watched the first episode. After I watched it I had the same reaction as some thinking, geez totally over produced blah blah.

A day or two later I watched the second episode. Well, I proceeded to binge watch the rest and found it to be a lot of fun. Lol!

I think that it’s a really clever way to reach a wider audience. Live streams of tournaments can be boring especially to those that aren’t into poker.

Turning poker into a team competition with various formats with commentary from the other players was a cool idea. It has all of the elements of a great reality show; some good looking women and some people that you love to hate. Oh yeah, and poker is a bonus!!!
Completely agreed. Wife and friends have been more interested in this show: it shows pros breaking down why its good or bad, music helps them figure out when the drama's happening, and some fantastic characters. This is an inbetween for the crappy live streams full of fish and side games vs the super robotic high end poker.

Not game of gold but this GG stream from Bahamas is good.

Except the Atlantis chips.

The $500 BJ is good. The oversized $1000 BJ is great! But the $5k and the $25k are rhc solids. With similar color tone
IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

After watching a live FT with Maria Ho involved

I am glad the theory of having Live FT is not true

Having to watch Maria Ho tanking every time is brutal, I keep having to fast forward 90sec whenever it her turn to act

Not game of gold but this GG stream from Bahamas is good.

Except the Atlantis chips.

The $500 BJ is good. The oversized $1000 BJ is great! But the $5k and the $25k are rhc solids. With similar color tone
View attachment 1236387
View attachment 1236388
So weird to have the highest denomination in solid

Maybe they are used for another solid tourney set and they have to use them as the tourney end up having more entries then expected

Watching it now. No spoilers on results (I’m only 10-15m in) but having the final tournament not have any commentators after every other challenge having teammates cheering, critiquing, etc. is a mistake.

You do get more banter between the players than a traditional tournament stream (players showing cards, “confessionals” between some hands, etc.), but some of the best parts of the show were the live takes from the other competitors.

If the format of the other episodes helped make the show more appealing to non-poker players/enthusiasts, then this is a step backwards.

Would have been very entertaining to have the previously eliminated players stay to commentate/railbird from another room, especially if it were the first team that got eliminated, with DNegs.

Still hopefully the non-poker fans have gotten invested enough in the players and personalities to want to finish up the series.

Finished it. Enjoyed the series as a whole!

Final episode was pretty good, including a very intense 3-way all-in hand. No spoilers. Again, thought the lack of any commentator(s) wasn't the best choice for a "final table" tournament broadcast in general and especially with the teammates/competitors commentary for all the previous rounds.

Congrats to the winner! There'll be a Season 2 according to the final screen of the video. Several players who busted said in their exit interviews they'd like to come back!

having the final tournament not have any commentators after every other challenge having teammates cheering, critiquing, etc. is a mistake.
This was exactly my thought. The best part of watching the previous matches was hearing the teammates in the back rooms give live (and very invested) commentary on the hand as it played out. The final table feels like a little bit of a letdown after that (just started so maybe i'll change my mind, but that's certainly my first takeaway).

Great finale.
That Fedor/Maria hand just put Maria in such a comfortable position for the heads up match.

It's always great to see Jungle play heads up, he picks his spots very very well.
Was finding myself rooting for him even tho the chip advantage was huge for Maria in the beginning.

I wish the season had more episodes and some more layers of complexity(for more drama :D ) but the casual viewer would not be as entertained.
Hope to see some new team dynamics for the next season.

Last edited:
Finally watch the finale. It was an overall good episode.

Not going to spoil it for anyone, but there was an incredible spot for one of the players, and watching him/her (so not to spoil it) think through that hand out loud was one of the most interesting things I’ve seen on this show. Very excited for Season 2!

Very impressed! Agreed with all criticism when it comes to no commentating, wife said the same, the finale was the first episode she didn't really care for.

Good for the winner, what an absolute rockstar. They're a very impressive player.

After watching a live FT with Maria Ho involved

I am glad the theory of having Live FT is not true

Having to watch Maria Ho tanking every time is brutal, I keep having to fast forward 90sec whenever it her turn to act
You seem to put a lot of that on Maria, but I've seen worse at most of the live super high buyin tourneys that are streamed. She's playing short table/heads up against some of the best in the world, I'd be taking deep breaths too! Not that it was great to watch, I just put less of the blame on her specifically and more on how poker's evolved in these big tournaments.

Completely agreed. Wife and friends have been more interested in this show: it shows pros breaking down why its good or bad, music helps them figure out when the drama's happening, and some fantastic characters. This is an inbetween for the crappy live streams full of fish and side games vs the super robotic high end poker.

I enjoyed the show, but my wife absolutely loved the show. Everyday she would ask me if a new episode came out lol

Who would you like to see on s2? I can definitely think of some of the old guard that would be entertaining, but i think you definitely want to mix in some less well known players, along with some celebs and popular stream players. Jenn Tilly is a good crossover being famous in and out of poker. Relatedly, I've always loved Phil Laak and I think he has a good personality for it, but I don't think he's involved in poker much nowadays. Affleck/Damon/Maguire would be cool, but I feel like they're all too big to be bothered with something like this.

Who would you like to see on s2? I can definitely think of some of the old guard that would be entertaining, but i think you definitely want to mix in some less well known players, along with some celebs and popular stream players. Jenn Tilly is a good crossover being famous in and out of poker. Relatedly, I've always loved Phil Laak and I think he has a good personality for it, but I don't think he's involved in poker much nowadays. Affleck/Damon/Maguire would be cool, but I feel like they're all too big to be bothered with something like this.
Jenn Tilly
Tom Dwan
Phil Helmuth!!!!!
Eli Elizra

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom