Flying Spaghetti Monster CPC Mockups (1 Viewer)

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
Here's the design as of 3/13/2016. I think having no text, in the inspiration of the Rounders chips, gives it a nice minimalist feel. Base color match the label color. Think green and grey are different enough colors?

cpc95.png

Same label on both sides.

Here's the concept so far. A tourney set that can be used for .25/.25 cash themed after the Flying Spaghetti Monster (A-mold of course).

Any feedback?

Considering selling my Paulson Lucky Derby set and CPS sets to get my first CPC set.

Attachments

• cpc8.png
    cpc8.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 213
  • cpc8white.png
    cpc8white.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
From a design POV, any reason the 5000 was not a 412? FSM is nothing if not logical.

Also, the font for the denom feels a bit like a "stock font".

Finally, I wouldn't ever worry about resale value on customs. You may be able to sell it to a Pastafarian, but any Lovecraft fan will know it's not Cthulhu, especially for the price you would be reselling it for (assuming a $1000+ set).

From a design POV, any reason the 5000 was not a 412? FSM is nothing if not logical.

Also, the font for the denom feels a bit like a "stock font".

Finally, I wouldn't ever worry about resale value on customs. You may be able to sell it to a Pastafarian, but any Lovecraft fan will know it's not Cthulhu, especially for the price you would be reselling it for (assuming a $1000+ set).

I think a 412 would have too much pink.

I think the font does feel like a stock font. It is one. I'll likely be scoping out some unique free ones. I am looking for something oogly where the zeros are kinda like cookie monsters eyes.

Yea regarding resale, I never want to burn the bridge by making it something that no one would buy. I see custom CPC on eBay once in a while (or on classifieds) with themes that exclude a huge amount of people from buying them. I know FSM is likely to, if it's clear that it's an Atheism themed chip.

Imo, the font looks too pac-man-ish

And why the A mold?.

Yea that poor font. I didn't spend a lot of time choosing it.

But the A mold is great because my first name begins with A. ;)

I think it definitely needs a better font and some sort of caption.

I love the concept!

A mold is for Atheism of course... All pastafarians know that!

You got it.

From a design POV, any reason the 5000 was not a 412?

I keep wondering about keeping the edge spots uniform on all chips, but that's no fun. Is there an etiquette or guideline to edgespot progression? I always thought the general guideline was basic edgespots for lower denom chips and more elaborate for higher denom. Also, one thing I have against the 412 edgespot is it's the pattern on Nexgen Vegas molds, which I don't want my chips to end up looking like. Also kinda why I stayed away from 814 (and kinda 614) as they look like china clay Pharaohs in stacks.

Last edited:
I like the idea and your colors. I'd slightly re-order your edgespots:

25: 214 (same)
100: 212 (originally your 5000)
500: 314 (originally your 100)
1000: 312 (originally your 500)
5000: 414 (originally your 1000)

As DD said, there are not set edgespot progression rules, although customs frequently do have some progression. The higher cost of complex spots, and the need for fewer of the high denom chips reinforces the concept, but I frequently dislike the concept. because I want the most often used chip to also be the most awesome chip.

However, when a set like yours demonstrates some sort of progression, I had to question why one chip's edgespots appeared to be out of order.

I'm with Zombie on this one. I want my workhorse chips and/or fracs to be my favorite chips in the set. That said, I still want some harmony, so I wouldn't go too loud with it. It's pretty typical to see a set end with the loudest chip as the highest denom though. That looks cool too. For my Rounders set, I stuck with the simple Rounders edge spots, but added a somewhat controversial choice for my frac. Some will love it, others will dislike it for breaking continuity. Personally, I love it. But I have different tastes than most in here. Best advice I can give is to spend some time in the HOF threads and see how some of those edge spot progressions speak to you.

Here's how I handled the frac in the Rounders set I'm ordering tomorrow.

KGB_Set.png

Here are a couple of other options you could consider depending on your tastes. I kind of like the idea of using 1/8" edge spots for a more noodly chip... here's a couple of quick mock up ideas I had.

SpagMonst2.png

SpagMonst1.png

Totally agree that 1/8" spots are the noodly way to go.

Totally agree that 1/8" spots are the noodly way to go.

the 1/8s are really nice but they're more expensive compared to 1/4. I guess if you're gonna do something do it right the first time.

Some really good points about having your workhorse chips be the elaborate ones. I'm an advocate of elaborate doesn't mean better, and with the right color combos, you can make sexy chips with the level 1 edgespots.

Those pies are beautiful but I couldn't do it.

the 1/8s are really nice but they're more expensive compared to 1/4. I guess if you're gonna do something do it right the first time.

Some really good points about having your workhorse chips be the elaborate ones. I'm an advocate of elaborate doesn't mean better, and with the right color combos, you can make sexy chips with the level 1 edgespots.

Those pies are beautiful but I couldn't do it.
I would strongly advocate if you are even in the slightest bit concerned with a level or 2 difference in edgespots, save the money, wait a few weeks, months, years etc, to get what you truly desire. if that is not the case, disregard my comment.

but once these babies are finalized, theyre final.

one set that comes to mind is Jeffs Everleigh $1. ended up costing way more in the long run, and this advise is for newbies, long standing PCF/CT members, basically everyone looking at customs

I would strongly advocate if you are even in the slightest bit concerned with a level or 2 difference in edgespots, save the money, wait a few weeks, months, years etc, to get what you truly desire. if that is not the case, disregard my comment.

but once these babies are finalized, theyre final.

one set that comes to mind is Jeffs Everleigh $1. ended up costing way more in the long run, and this advise is for newbies, long standing PCF/CT members, basically everyone looking at customs
I ALWAYS advocate this response. Get it done 100% right the first time.

Those are really nice. I don't see 418 or 618 in this list of edgespots on CPC's website.

Three of the color combos that I'm really leaning towards, are red/grey for the $500, yellow/blue for the 1k and blue/pink for the 5k.

Those are really nice. I don't see 418 or 618 in this list of edgespots on CPC's website.

Three of the color combos that I'm really leaning towards, are red/grey for the $500, yellow/blue for the 1k and blue/pink for the 5k.

The other spot patterns are available here:
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclay/39spots.pdf

Those are good color combos. I did a DG Saturn with Dark Blue for the $20 in my Rounders custom set. I really like it in the mockup. Stoked to see how it comes out in real life.

Here's another option. I know you said you like red for the 500, but that may throw people off since purple is the expected chip color for the 500s with your current color theme. The red "belongs" in the $5 chip. But you can mix it up. They are your chips afterall :)

SpagMonst4.png

The other spot patterns are available here:
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclay/39spots.pdf

Those are good color combos. I did a DG Saturn with Dark Blue for the $20 in my Rounders custom set. I really like it in the mockup. Stoked to see how it comes out in real life.

Here's another option. I know you said you like red for the 500, but that may throw people off since purple is the expected chip color for the 500s with your current color theme. The red "belongs" in the $5 chip. But you can mix it up. They are your chips afterall :)

Those those 1/8 edge spots are sexy but Level 6 and Level 8? That makes them $2.56 and $3 per chip when L1 are $1.45. I could buy twice the chips with Level 1 edgespots.

They're nice and all but they don't seem like a good enough value at that price.

Regarding getting rid of the red, this set is going to be used mainly for a $.25/$.25 game and the occasional tourney. It's easy to use a tourney set for cash, but not so easy using a cash set for tourney. That's why a few of the colors in the OP are more cash relevant colors. Definitely not married to red as a $500 and purple or something close would work as $5 or $500.

DG Saturn looks fantastic.

Ya, that's not really worth the price hike. They do look cool though.

Oh, that makes sense about the colors. Ya, I'd probably go with red too then. However, that makes me think you have some other options than black for the 100 if it will primarily be used as a $1. Using a black 100 as a 1 would throw me off a bit as I've just never seen a black $1 before. But there are a lot of 100s that are white, and of course a lot of 1s as well. You could try to do something with white for the 100 and keep the 500 as a red? I do like that blue you have for the #5 and #6 mockups.

I wonder if anyone would be offended if you made a bounty/tribute chip with Christopher Hitchens' on it? One of my heros... :)

but once these babies are finalized, theyre final. Until you build secondaries, a dedicated tourney set, tertiaries, etc.

FYP

They're nice and all but they don't seem like a good enough value at that price.

There is no such thing as "value" when it comes to custom chips. It's all about "want" and "need".

Seriously though, this is what others alluded to regarding 'save up and do it right the first time', particularly when it comes to design elements that are so crucial to a theme, and make an ordinary chip set an extraordinary one. In other words, don't settle.. You will almost certainly regret it, and very likely spend even more money in the future to correct it.

Follow the path shown by the wise elders who have erred before you, and avoid their pitfalls......

If you look at these chips as an investment over your lifetime, the extra $$ required to do it justice really works out to just pennies in the long term. Don't sell yourself (or your dreams) short.

cpc7.png

Here's the set with cash colors and new fonts. The 25 font looks okay as a 25 but the 0s are not legible. it's called Psycho . The 100 and 500 fonts look poops. 1k and 5k are Alan Font. Not sure if it's a stock font or not. Kinda wobly without sacrificing legibility. Edge spots that kinda progress and are affordable.

There is no such thing as "value" when it comes to custom chips. It's all about "want" and "need".

Seriously though, this is what others alluded to regarding 'save up and do it right the first time', particularly when it comes to design elements that are so crucial to a theme, and make an ordinary chip set an extraordinary one. In other words, don't settle.. You will almost certainly regret it, and very likely spend even more money in the future to correct it.

Follow the path shown by the wise elders who have erred before you, and avoid their pitfalls......

If you look at these chips as an investment over your lifetime, the extra $$ required to do it justice really works out to just pennies in the long term. Don't sell yourself (or your dreams) short.

I hear ya, but I'm satisfied with T1 and 2 edge spots. The other's do look sharp but they're just not worth it to me. I'd like L6 and L8 edgespots but I'd really think I'd rather a 1200 L1 and L2 set than a 600 L6 and 8 set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom