First Set of custom CPC chips (1 Viewer)

strat_baseball

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Short story/brag.
I've always wanted a set of custom clay chips but have never been able to consider buying a set as large as I wanted. I'm also a professional player and recently got some coaching and my win rate tripled to the point I have enough "disposable income" to be able to afford a set of chips and am trying to get them ordered and paid for before the price increase at the end of the year.
Here is my current idea for colors, edge spots and mold. I have contacted a poker chip graphics designer for the inlay but would like comments on my color choices.
cash_game_a.png

The colors correspond to $1, $5, $25, $100 and $500. I'm not sure if I will even bother with ordering the $500 as they will rarely if ever get to the felt. I am also trying to keep the $1 and $5 chips to L1 or L2 edge spots to save on cost.
Any input you guys may have is much appreciated.

I'm with @JP1984 , I like some kind of 'line' of design between the different chips of the set. But also is important the design of the inlay. What is your theme? And how many chips do you need?

I like the line up, but if you are set on using a tri moon on the bottom, I would make it the first chip... on the second chip it just looks out of line there. I would also atleast add one more color on the $25 but keep the 414 pattern, just add another color for two of the opposing spots.

Also can confirm that $500 would be baller!
20200307_214724.jpg

It looks like you went with darker base colors. Not sure if there will be issues telling them apart in stacks or splashed pots, especially the black hundos and purple 500

Maybe consider alternating light and dark?

Light blue $1
Dark red $5
Bright green $25
Black $100
Light purple $500

It looks like you went with darker base colors. Not sure if there will be issues telling them apart in stacks or splashed pots, especially the black hundos and purple 500

I agree. If it hasn't been suggested yet @strat_baseball then you should either purchase/borrow a CPC color sample set. Post a want add and someone will probably help you out.

B

It can't be said enough: "get samples"!! The chips will vary in colour quite a bit from the design tool. Even though I heard the "get samples" advice A LOT on the forum, I was still surprised by how different the colours were in person.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

First @detroitdad @swana I have a sample color set ordered and on the way. I have read many times about people being very disappointed and surprised with the colors the show up when not getting a look at the colors in person first.

@Anthony Martino I originally had lavender for the $500s but for some reason picked purple when making this sample set. I will probably go with the lavender if I get the $500s made, I'm still not sure if they will be necessary, I may just get them for completion of the set.

@Ben8257 @Rhodeman77 I like your idea on going TRIM for the 1s rather then the 5s. I may have to play with the edge colors on both of those chips. I do like the 3DS316 for an edge design, I remember those being a very classic edge spot design. I also like the idea for going multi colored on the 25s as well.

@CarlosStorm I am going for an inlay with denominations, possibly the denom spelled out as well, with a background image. I'm undecided if the image will be different for each chip, I am working with a designer to help me decide this part. I really want a set that will be 100% custom for security, but also won't have my name on it so it could be used in any setting I need/want it to. My suggestions for the image so far were a possible outdoors, forest and/or mountains theme. I live near Mt. St. Helens so that was also a suggestion. I'm planning on getting around 4,000 chips, enough for 3 very deep stacked games running at the same time. We are still slow due to COVID and get 2 deep games ($10k in play with $1/$1 blinds) often and I wouldn't want to run out if we had a 3rd game running. I also don't want to have to reorder anytime soon. And I want enough 1s and 5s to run a $6/$12, $8/$16 or $10/$20 limit mixed game.

Thanks again everyone who has responded so far. This has given me a lot to think about and to play with in the chip designer. At least I have about a month to play around with this before I need to get the money in before the price goes up 10%.

Been playing with everyone's ideas and suggestions over the weekend. Also waiting for my graphics designer to get back to me with a price quote so I know how to proceed in regards to having inlays with one design and different denoms, one inlay pic but different colors for the different denoms or different inlays for each denom.
Here is my new design, went with a level 1 for the $5 and due to the quantity it was a larger savings cost wise then I realized and I still like how it looks. I'm waiting on my color samples (should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday) to finalize the particular shades of each color.
cash_game_e.png

Been playing with everyone's ideas and suggestions over the weekend. Also waiting for my graphics designer to get back to me with a price quote so I know how to proceed in regards to having inlays with one design and different denoms, one inlay pic but different colors for the different denoms or different inlays for each denom.
Here is my new design, went with a level 1 for the $5 and due to the quantity it was a larger savings cost wise then I realized and I still like how it looks. I'm waiting on my color samples (should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday) to finalize the particular shades of each color.
View attachment 814989

REALLY like the colors on the 25, 100 and 500

Only critique would be a lighter blue color on the $1 chip, if going with alternating dark, then bright bases

The other chips look great because the base and the spots in each chip have good contrast. But the 1, in your last post looks like the spots are trying to blend into the base color.

If you are stuck on the blue for the 1, then make the tri- moon spots on it a bit brighter for higher contrast. White or ultra white?

Only critique would be a lighter blue color on the $1 chip, if going with alternating dark, then bright bases

The other chips look great because the base and the spots in each chip have good contrast. But the 1, in your last post looks like the spots are trying to blend into the base color.

If you are stuck on the blue for the 1, then make the tri- moon spots on it a bit brighter for higher contrast. White or ultra white?
Deffinatly still up in the air on the particular shade of blue to use, if I go with blue at all. though I really not concerned with it getting confused with the black as they ($100s) will rarely be in play and the $500s are almost exclusively because I want some to play with, I doubt they will see the table but once every other year, and that would only be if there were extra extremely deep tables in play.
Also looking at going light blue but am concerned that they will get dirty and discolored too easily. Also considering DG Peacock, I like how it pops on a screen but really want to see it in person before deciding.

I'm not hung up on only blue for the $1, I just want a semi-standard color and would like it to not get instantly dirty so that is the reason for avoiding white.

I know you are trying to save cost, but having the most basic spot pattern on the workhorse chip kinda sucks. Also it throws of spot professional, if you care.

If money is that tight maybe get less $5’s or drop the $500 and use that money for a level 2 spot on the $5.

I also think the $1 blends too much. But you will see when you have your color samples.

My 2c

The color combos are great for the most part and work well across the set. Peach and tiger look awesome on that $25! The $1 might need tweaked, I personally like blue and retro blue way more than imperial. Light blue is nice too but the gray will have to go in that case. Peacock could work.

I think black base chips with 3 colors look better with a neutral in there, or with 4 colors as gradients. The 3 dayglow colors always make me think I'm looking at a bowl of fruity pebbles. But that's me personally. it's not a bad chip I know a lot of people like the look of many bright colors...they do pop.

The 500 is a good chip but seems out of place. You have a nice progression of 3 spot patterns then that 500 is wildly different. Maybe this is intentional. If you want a wild 500 you might consider a 3V12318 or similar in keeping with the 3 spot progression. Or mix in a 4 spot or split spot pattern somewhere, for instance changing the 5 to 414 and the 100 to 3DS316.

Okay, dropping the $500, there is just no need, and if I need some in the future I'll already have the artwork done and I'll only have to wait on shipping and build time, and for such a high level chip and low quantity the price increase won't be as severe.

Trying to decide on what edge spot to go with for the $1, here are the choices right now, though if anyone has a different idea I won't say no to help.
cash_game 1s.png

I really like the $25 I have but the hundred colors are nice but there are a few edge spot designs and I'm curious what others think I could also go with DG pink and DG green (rather then DG peacock) for the edge spots on #3 or #4).
cash_game 100s.png

@Rhodeman77 I'm not on a tight budget, just don't want to go overboard if it isn't necessary. These chips will be used by many players who will have no appreciation for what went into them and for that reason if I just don't want to waste money.
What would you suggest for a red or cardinal red $5, I'm open to suggestions. The only limit is I don't want to go over L2 on the $1 and I really like the TRIM, and don't want to go crazy complicated with the $5. You mention that it "throws of spot professional" could you care to elaborate what you mean by that?

Here is what I have currently loaded at my draft for the full set but everything can still change.
cash_game_g.png

@Nine_high thanks for the complement on the $25. I see what you mean about the colors on the $100, you see I have other ideas on what to do with that as well. If going for a neutral color what would you swap out for? Also what would you do for a 4th color on it? What if anything would you do for the $5 if you were to tweak it?

Love the progression and colors in general.
For me, Dg Peach doesn't contrast enough with light green. I may try with Dg Peackock instead???
I'm designing a cash set myself (a micro cash set...), and I also thinking in three spot in all the chips, but also combination of 3 - 6 spots. Something like this:

01799f6d-2716-4c85-9d26-2d440d9e7ac6.png

vs all 3
Mock up CPC La Viña MED v1.png

I'm looking for different colors, but the edge progression has a similar idea.

Good luck with your set!
Carlos

Okay, dropping the $500, there is just no need, and if I need some in the future I'll already have the artwork done and I'll only have to wait on shipping and build time, and for such a high level chip and low quantity the price increase won't be as severe.

Trying to decide on what edge spot to go with for the $1, here are the choices right now, though if anyone has a different idea I won't say no to help.
View attachment 816896

I really like the $25 I have but the hundred colors are nice but there are a few edge spot designs and I'm curious what others think I could also go with DG pink and DG green (rather then DG peacock) for the edge spots on #3 or #4).
View attachment 816897

@Rhodeman77 I'm not on a tight budget, just don't want to go overboard if it isn't necessary. These chips will be used by many players who will have no appreciation for what went into them and for that reason if I just don't want to waste money.
What would you suggest for a red or cardinal red $5, I'm open to suggestions. The only limit is I don't want to go over L2 on the $1 and I really like the TRIM, and don't want to go crazy complicated with the $5. You mention that it "throws of spot professional" could you care to elaborate what you mean by that?

Here is what I have currently loaded at my draft for the full set but everything can still change.
View attachment 816898

@Nine_high thanks for the complement on the $25. I see what you mean about the colors on the $100, you see I have other ideas on what to do with that as well. If going for a neutral color what would you swap out for? Also what would you do for a 4th color on it? What if anything would you do for the $5 if you were to tweak it?

For the black 100 I think it often looks nice with a bright white or gray combined with a bright color, though white seems to work better with split spots and gray with double spots. Or if going 4 color trying to pick a 4th color that somehow blends the other two. Here are some examples of what I mean. There a tons of ways to do this I just threw out a couple.

4dcab58a-869a-49db-9454-ee2051fe3221.png

The black with 6D18 pink and blue you have up looks good too.

I had only suggested altering the 5 as a way to widen the spot pattern overall to help reel in the 500 you had before. If dropping the 500 I don't think any change is needed for the 5. It looks fine with 3916 and 314. I might like 314 slightly better because it's a little more distinct from the trimoon and in my opinion a better spot but both are fine.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

First @detroitdad @swana I have a sample color set ordered and on the way. I have read many times about people being very disappointed and surprised with the colors the show up when not getting a look at the colors in person first.

@Anthony Martino I originally had lavender for the $500s but for some reason picked purple when making this sample set. I will probably go with the lavender if I get the $500s made, I'm still not sure if they will be necessary, I may just get them for completion of the set.

@Ben8257 @Rhodeman77 I like your idea on going TRIM for the 1s rather then the 5s. I may have to play with the edge colors on both of those chips. I do like the 3DS316 for an edge design, I remember those being a very classic edge spot design. I also like the idea for going multi colored on the 25s as well.

@CarlosStorm I am going for an inlay with denominations, possibly the denom spelled out as well, with a background image. I'm undecided if the image will be different for each chip, I am working with a designer to help me decide this part. I really want a set that will be 100% custom for security, but also won't have my name on it so it could be used in any setting I need/want it to. My suggestions for the image so far were a possible outdoors, forest and/or mountains theme. I live near Mt. St. Helens so that was also a suggestion. I'm planning on getting around 4,000 chips, enough for 3 very deep stacked games running at the same time. We are still slow due to COVID and get 2 deep games ($10k in play with $1/$1 blinds) often and I wouldn't want to run out if we had a 3rd game running. I also don't want to have to reorder anytime soon. And I want enough 1s and 5s to run a $6/$12, $8/$16 or $10/$20 limit mixed game.

Thanks again everyone who has responded so far. This has given me a lot to think about and to play with in the chip designer. At least I have about a month to play around with this before I need to get the money in before the price goes up 10%.
You might want to cut back on the $1’s since those will be mostly your blind chips and get a ton of $2’s or $3’s made up for those limit stakes.

Spot progression is having each chip get a little more complex as it goes up in value. Adding another spot, another color etc. having the tri-moon as the $1 then 314 as the $5 was going backwards.

We don’t build custom sets for our players! We build them for ourselves to enjoy. They are functional works of art, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Unless you also really don’t care what the set looks like, (which I don’t think is the case at all) take the time to make it the best set you will love and be excited to bring out every game. Not a set that you go “Damn, I wish I would have spent the couple hundred extra dollars on xxxxx, it would look so much better.”

Here are a few level 2 options. You can even get a 2 spot color chip at level 2.

81BC2A96-EEBE-42B4-BB3E-5046AD393CF2.png

Last edited:
You might want to cut back on the $1’s since those will be mostly your blind chips and get a ton of $2’s or $3’s made up for those limit stakes.
Our primary game right now is $1/$1 NHL or $1/$1 PLO Mixed, I would love to be able to start a limit game in the future but with enough $1s and $5s a $6/$12 limit game will work just fine. We just haven't gotten enough interest recently to try a limit game but it is my future goal to be able to have one, once a week.

Spot progression is having each chip get a little more complex as it goes up in value. Adding another spot, another color etc. having the tri-moon as the $1 then 314 as the $5 was going backwards.

We don’t build custom sets for our players! We build them for ourselves to enjoy. They are functional works of art, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Unless you also really don’t care what the set looks like, (which I don’t think is the case at all) take the time to make it the best set you will love and be excited to bring out every game. Not a set that you go “Damn, I wish I would have spent the couple hundred extra dollars on xxxxx, it would look so much better.”

Here are a few level 2 options. You can even get a 2 spot color chip at level 2.

View attachment 816993
Spot progression makes sense, I just couldn't figure out what you meant with spot profession. And yes I'm got plenty of budget to up to even a level 3 for the $5s if I found one that really struck me. I just haven't found one yet that makes me look back and really admire it.

I've been playing with the $5s all morning, found some combos I like and some I don't. Waiting for a few hours today so that I can get into a drug store and pick up some mineral oil for my color sample chips, I really want to see what they look like with a proper oiling as I have heard and seen examples that it really makes a huge difference with CPC chips.

And I'm definitely ordering these somewhat selfishly. Currently in use are "custom" foil stamped dice chips in wonky colors, I'm just tired of playing poker with shitty chips when I can now afford to go with some very nice ones. I'll be loaning out the set for daily use to my regular game where I play 4-6 days a week. Basically my win rate increase in the game for 2 months is what I am spending on chips. I really want these to look great and if a regular mixed limit game takes off I can always order a add on of $2 or $3 chips specifically for that game.

Thanks again everyone for their suggestions and I've posted it in the meet up section already but anyone willing to come to Portland, OR this summer is welcome to see what these look like in person once I get them made.

My chips arrived today. I would like to thank Tim A. for doing the artwork and everyone here for their input. I'm a little tired and not in the mood to take pics of the chips but I'll post some in the next few days. The "dusty" chips fresh from the factory have a very muted color so I'll have to oil the up to get them to look beautiful. Anyone in the Vancouver, WA area that wants to come play in a game with these chips send me a message and we can discuss when games will be played at my house.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom