First Cash Set Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Davis

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I’m very new to the home poker scene and I was hoping for a bit of guidance / recommendations from you folks.

I just purchased a brand new table for me and my buds to play cash games a few times a month! For now I’ve planned for a full 10 person game, at a 50.00 dollar buy in. My chip break down is as follows;

$10 = 40 x .25

$20 = 20 x 1.00

$20= 4 x 5.00

(Would also like some 10’s or 20’s / 25’s to have in the bank)

Since this will be my first real poker chip set, I was hoping some of you experienced chippers could point me towards a good chip & vendor to purchase from. I am from Canada and would prefer not to pay duties over the border but that’s not a deal breaker.

Some styles I have found and really liked are as follows;

Monaco Millions: https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/poker-chips-sets/monaco-millions-14g-poker-chips.html

Monte Carlo: https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/poker-chips-sets/monte-carlo-14g-chips.html

Crazy Horse (but I can’t find 25 cent chips): https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/poker-chips-sets/crazy-horse-clay-10g-chips-sets.html

I don’t really have a preference on chip material, but it seems clay composite or true clay is the way to go? (Correct me if I’m wrong please lol!)

Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction, any help is appreciated!

Assuming .25/.25 blinds or .25/.50 blinds, each player probably only needs:

12 x .25
16 x $1
6 x $5

Numbers can be adjusted a bit, but you REALLY don't need more than 20 .25 chips per player. So something like:

100-120 x .25
200 x $1
160 x $5
40 x $20 or $25

As far as price for the set. What is your budget? You can get decent plastic chips for about 0.15/chip. Though if you have the budget, getting a "China Clay" from Apache or ceramic chip from ABC for 0.40-0.60/chip is a big upgrade. Always get samples first!

Last edited:
while I like to have 12x.25 in play, note that 80 is the minimum for a .25/.50 blind
therefore (per player) you can go

0.25 x 12
1 x 12
5 x 7

or

0.25 x 8
1 x 13
5 x 7

Rebuy in $5

As result you can consider a 400 chip set. 100/150/150

I understand your breakdown for cash games with the quantity of fracs and it may be that you are trying to build a multi purpose set.
Are you playing mixed games or more blinds games? I started with a tourney set and now working on a cash set.
There are a lot more options for chips coming from the US than what is available in Canada. Lots of great chips on this site and deals from some that are upgrading or changing up. Have a look at what others have in their sets whether they are for sale or not.
Once you're above 10 posts you will be able to post a wanted ad in the classified section.
Good luck with your search, you'll find a lot more here than what is available in the GTA.

Budget?

Don't get too many quarters.

Looking to spend no more than 350.00 dollars. Would like a chipset of at least 500.

And thank you to everyone who has been commenting and giving me advice. I really do appreciate it very much!

Welcome!

I'm assuming your budget is in CDN and not USD (the assumed currency on the forum is USD). Given that range, there are two practical vendors in Canada.

Straight Poker Supplies (Toronto), which you've already found.
MRC Poker (www.mrcpoker.com) out of the Vancouver area

For breakdown, I agree with
12 x 25c
12 x $1
n x $5

It works well for our 25c/25c games. Most of the chips in your budget are sold in 25-chip multiples. For a breakdown for a 500-chip set for 10 players, I'd suggest

125 x 25c
200 x $1
150 x $5
25 x $25

Total bank: $1606.25

Any rebuys would only need $5 and $25. I'm not a huge cash game player, so others may have a better recommendation.

As for the chips themselves, I'd include the Laurel Crown ceramics and the Poker Knights for consideration
https://www.mrcpoker.com/item-category/poker-chips-sets/laurel-crown-ceramic
https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/poker-knights-500-poker-chip-set-w-aluminum-case.html

Just note that the denominations for the Laurel Crowns may be on the small side. I would avoid anything with "laser" or "holographic" in the description.

If you are in the Toronto or Vancouver area, I would strongly suggest checking out the chips in the store prior to purchasing, or otherwise ordering samples via mail. You may love the look of the chips on the screen, but the colours may be different in person, and you won't know if you would be happy with them until you handle them. If you are in the Ottawa area, send me a PM.

Welcome to the forum! I'm going to suggest that a set of China Clay Milanos be your minimum option.

500 chips with case, you choose chip denominations, for $176.99 (in the U.S. anyway). Here's the link --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/253002762392

For the break out, I prefer this:

1580265620503.png

Last edited:
I’m in the ‘more quarters’ camp. (May be something to consider if you have a lot of limping in your games.)

I’ll stick with the assumptions already made about your game possibly being .25/.25 or .25/.50. I’d give a barrel (20 chips) of quarters, a barrel of $1’s, and fill in the rest with $5’s for each player. So for $50 buy-in, breakdown would be:

.25 x 20 ($5)
$1 x 20 ($20)
$5 x 5 ($25)

Re-buys in $1’s and $5’s.

For 10 players:

.25 x 200
$1 x 200
$5 x 150
$20 ($25) x 50

600 total chips

If you don’t need/want that many of the $20/$25, then lower that down to 25 and add 25 more $5’s or $1’s depending on how your game plays.

Contrary to many previous posters, I prefer to have more chips of each denomination at the table so we don't have to constantly make change with each other. I will even step down to a lower quality chip to make that happen. But when I hosted we played fixed limit, which likely colors my opinion.

I would need more info to do a chip breakdown for you...
--Are you playing no limit, fixed limit, or spread limit?
--What are your blinds/antes?

In fixed limit you want to figure out which are your workhorse chip(s) and have a bunch of them, like 25-40 per player. A $50 buy-in for fixed limit hold'em typically means you're playing $1/$2. In that case, I would do something like:
12 x $0.25 = $3 (blinds & antes)
27 x $1.00 = $27 (workhorse chip)
4 x $5.00 = $20 (for re-raises on later streets)
Total = $50

In no limit, a more even distribution is preferable. With $0.25/$0.50 blinds, I would do something like:
20 x $0.25 = $5
20 x $1.00 = $20
5 x $5.00 = $25
Total = $50

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom