Fake/Replica of Paulson WTHC 5000s? (1 Viewer)

UniLover

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, been reading/lurking for awhile now, first post.

Recently got some Paulson Pharaohs that came with 10 of these WTHC 5000s. I then bought 10 more on eBay and they don't look/feel the same.

Bottom 10 from rest of Paulson Pharaohs, top 10 from eBay. Note the thicker font, more jagged edge of the inserts, darker red, lighter stamp of the HTC symbol, and overall uneven edges. The eBay 10 also are 10g lighter for the 10. Are these just different batches? Replicas? Fakes?
IMG_5031.JPG

Closer up of the eBay version, note the inserts with unevenness, lighter stamp of the THC, etc.
IMG_5032.jpg

This is the best I can capture on the "uneven inserts" from the side. Note the dark brown spots physically are not smooth, and yes these are also warped so probably why a barrel does not fit onto a rack.

IMG_5035.jpg

Thanks, sorry newb here. I see the mold has been referred to as pip or suits, but also have seen threads that call these particular chips WTHC, perhaps refer to the design and not so much the mold?
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/wthc-denominations.69991/
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/paulson-wthc.76818/
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/paulson-wthc-500s.34194/
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/paulson-top-hat-and-cane-wthc-chips.100594/
Don't sweat it. Are you going to try and put together a WTHC set? Or adding to one?

This is the best I can capture on the "uneven inserts" from the side. Note the dark brown spots physically are not smooth, and yes these are also warped so probably why a barrel does not fit onto a rack.

View attachment 1080935
Those were stored poorly and are starting to pancake themself
I’ve never seen an edge spot almost look like it’s melting but if you look close the center of the chip is denting in like the edge of a sharpened hockey skate.
Every time I’ve seen that they were stored poorly under heavy weight and started to get crushed almost
It could have been someone not knowing what they are doing too and over flattened them with too much heat
Not fake but given what you probably paid I’d send those back for a refund

View attachment 1080935
Yup, that looks to me like some kind of heat damage and the fact that you have warping pretty much confirms it.

Thanks for unanimous answer of heat damage/improper storage. And yes, since I was only buying 10, spent more than I otherwise would. Will get them packed up and returned.

Don't sweat it. Are you going to try and put together a WTHC set? Or adding to one?
No, I have Paulson Pharaoh in denoms of $25, $100, $500, $1000 to use for my home cash game where we move two decimals over and use them as $0.25, $1, $5, and $10 chips. But then for higher buy-ins, I was going to use these WTHC 5000 as $50s but only have 10, so need probably 10 more to cover additional buy-ins. So really only need 10 more but so hard to find at a reasonable price...

Thanks for unanimous answer of heat damage/improper storage. And yes, since I was only buying 10, spent more than I otherwise would. Will get them packed up and returned.
Personally, I’d probably keep them and play them. I mean yeah they’re not perfect, and maybe you overpaid for them based on condition, but if they’re chips you want and they’re hard to find, who cares that they’re a bit flawed. It’s up to you personally - if those condition flaws will bother you, then fine, send them back. But just stop and consider whether you actually care that much about their condition, or whether you just think you should.

Personally, I’d probably keep them and play them. I mean yeah they’re not perfect, and maybe you overpaid for them based on condition, but if they’re chips you want and they’re hard to find, who cares that they’re a bit flawed. It’s up to you personally - if those condition flaws will bother you, then fine, send them back. But just stop and consider whether you actually care that much about their condition, or whether you just think you should.
Thanks, condition vs price bothers me #1 and also warped enough where they don't fit on the rack in a barrel is #2.

If I'm patient then I can find them in much nicer condition at maybe ⅓ less. Got any leads?!?!

You could try and carefully flatten them to try and fix warping
Then edge them to get the bumps out

But give the price already on eBay’s peak crazy market now I’d maybe just return them too

There seems to have been issues though with some of these and the easy warping too is kinda sad

Thanks, condition vs price bothers me #1 and also warped enough where they don't fit on the rack in a barrel is #2.

If I'm patient then I can find them in much nicer condition at maybe ⅓ less. Got any leads?!?!
No, you do you. I was just floating the contrarian argument. It’s always good to think things through.

You could try and carefully flatten them to try and fix warping
Then edge them to get the bumps out

But give the price already on eBay’s peak crazy market now I’d maybe just return them too

There seems to have been issues though with some of these and the easy warping too is kinda sad
I think they are so damaged that certain parts of the mold is almost flat.

Returned them for sure, no way I accepting sub par standards when I paying the premium for it

But if I have gotten them on a huge discount, I might just chalk it off and keep it thou

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom