F1 in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Gotta love the kerbs!
Screenshot_20231110_103450_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_103423_Gallery.jpg

Apparently this is what Mercedes has been doing with the Exotics Racing track they bought out for the whole week.

My wife and I were planning to go to this race originally to celebrate our 10th anniversary until they unveiled the prices, which, combined with the initial hotel room prices, seemed like poor value at the time. It does seem like those came down in the end as the race drew closer.

The track also didn't initially seem like it was one that would make for an overly exciting race (boy, were we wrong there).

Great race in the end. I dare say the most exciting of the season. My wife turned to me after the podium ceremony and said, "maybe we should go next year."
Viva Las Vegas.

Only F1 race of the year that I watched start-to-finish. And Max still won.....

So, from those of you who were there, how was it? (The event itself incl. food, access, sightlines, but also Vegas in general)? Initially, it seemed like hotel prices were sky high, but I had heard they came down quite a bit, same with ticket options for the event.

Strongly considering putting down a deposit for the race in 2024 already and planning a long weekend with the wife.

So, from those of you who were there, how was it? (The event itself incl. food, access, sightlines, but also Vegas in general)? Initially, it seemed like hotel prices were sky high, but I had heard they came down quite a bit, same with ticket options for the event.

Strongly considering putting down a deposit for the race in 2024 already and planning a long weekend with the wife.

Initial prices were too high.

Even if you have grandstand tickets you’ll be mostly relying on a screen anyway.

It’s harder to get around especially by car.

The F1 site experience is frankly not the strip and the strip experience is not the F1 paddock experience. Mutually exclusive.

You won’t see more than blurs most of the time but the sound and atmosphere is electrifying.

Thursday and Friday weren’t that exciting. If I have a choice next year I would just stick with Saturday.

There are plenty of hidden spots with a good free vantage point like Gilley’s or out the window of some of the less expensive hotels that line the strip that aren’t set far back.

Table mins Friday and Saturday night were pretty strong but plenty of value to be had if you know where to look. Park MGM 3:2 BJ $25 min.

Lots of special menus with chefs attending their own restaurants that I hope they expand on next year.

I think if anything this weekend has proven it may not be wise to book so far out in advance.

Initial prices were too high.

Even if you have grandstand tickets you’ll be mostly relying on a screen anyway.

It’s harder to get around especially by car.

The F1 site experience is frankly not the strip and the strip experience is not the F1 paddock experience. Mutually exclusive.

You won’t see more than blurs most of the time but the sound and atmosphere is electrifying.

Thursday and Friday weren’t that exciting. If I have a choice next year I would just stick with Saturday.

There are plenty of hidden spots with a good free vantage point like Gilley’s or out the window of some of the less expensive hotels that line the strip that aren’t set far back.

Table mins Friday and Saturday night were pretty strong but plenty of value to be had if you know where to look. Park MGM 3:2 BJ $25 min.

Lots of special menus with chefs attending their own restaurants that I hope they expand on next year.

I think if anything this weekend has proven it may not be wise to book so far out in advance.
Thanks for the summary! We're both huge F1 fans and a trip to Vegas has been on our wish list since before the pandemic, so it's certainly appealing.

How was the situation with viewing screens along the course? Did they have big screens set up for all the various grandstand locations?

Thanks for the summary! We're both huge F1 fans and a trip to Vegas has been on our wish list since before the pandemic, so it's certainly appealing.

How was the situation with viewing screens along the course? Did they have big screens set up for all the various grandstand locations?
Can’t speak to the Koval side but the bellagio side didn’t have many screens at all. Most viewers were on their phones. There was no sound either. Definitely room for improvement.

Hated to see Sainz punished for a course defect and the spin outs on the first turn. Didn't disappoint for a street course but wish they had done it during the day (why didn't they?) so course temps would be up to help with traction.

Praying the wind tunnel penalties catch up to red bull next year.

Hated to see Sainz punished for a course defect and the spin outs on the first turn. Didn't disappoint for a street course but wish they had done it during the day (why didn't they?) so course temps would be up to help with traction.

Praying the wind tunnel penalties catch up to red bull next year.
I'm not a fan of street courses at all. (Walls & fences are ugly) At night though with all the Vega$ lights (especially The Sphere) it POPPED! I'm guessing in future years it will be earlier in the year where track Temps will be much higher even at night.

I thought this race was going to be a fiasco. I was very wrong. I follow F1 peripherally, and hope for a better competitive balance in future years with power plant changes. I follow Indy Car much more. I watched this race start to finish on the East coast, and it was fantastic. I am definitely contemplating going next year, and even thinking about making the plunge for paddock VIP access (don't know the name of the ticket - access to the paddock for the 3-day event, and stuff like that - a small fortune, I know).

One complaint I had was with the ESPN (Sky) pre-race coverage. Beyond awful. Mind-numbing to have the on-track reporters chasing down which celebrity is there or what BS influencer is taking a selfie with a car they have no clue what it even does or who drives it. Once all the crap pre-race hype ended and the race started, it was very enjoyable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom