Euros 2020 (5 Viewers)

Use to get behind England a lot more when I was a kid. We never did f all so I had to support someone. But since moving to England (in the 90s, yes I am that old) and seeing what happens after games I like them less and less. Not the team but the fans. And it's got even worse since Brexit. Would have happened win or lose but will probably be worse this way, feel sorry for the Italian businesses and even any business with an Italian sounding name that will have their windows put in tonight.

Is it World Cup time yet?!?!? It can’t come soon enough to help with national team soccer withdraw that’s soon coming.

Best team of the Tourney ended up winning. So, so great to see Italy playing like that.

This is also one of the best English side in a long time and they should keep their heads up and just move forward and get better. No reason to implode what Southgate has done.

Both teams have a good shot at the Cup soon.

"Thanks for being willing to ship internationally, mate — really appreciate it."

Screenshot_20210711_231419.jpg

There must be some statistics on the success rate of defending a 1-0 lead. I don't like it, it feels like it almost always fails (unless you're Italy from before). IMO England didn't lose on penalties, they lost in the second half.

Nothing makes me more mad than players taking cutesy penalties. Just go up there and smash it to one side like Kane and Maguire.

These stop/start stuttering penalties are the worst and they only serve to increase complications. Just blast it.

Has Italy ever won anything without it being a penalty shootout? Heck, even the 1994 WC they lost on one when Baggio shot over the bar.

Good run for the England Boys though. Definitely got some great experience that will be important in later tourneys that this young squad will play.

Can we all just take a moment to acknowledge what a cowardly prick Sterling is. How does he not step up and take one, he's one of our key senior players and we had a 19 year old taking the key penalty.

I'm gutted lol
Yep... Southgate fucked up another shootout at Wembley in the Euros... And he didn't even take a penalty this time!

Gg Italy, well played. I guess Skinner and Baddiel will keep getting royalties. Anyone I owe money to please pm me your PayPal/venmo/zelle info.

Yep... Southgate fucked up another shootout at Wembley in the Euros... And he didn't even take a penalty this time!
His mistake was not going to 442 at 55-60 minutes. Probably wouldn't have needed penalties if we made that change early enough.

Channeling his inner Wenger. Stubbornly persisting with a formation that clearly isn't working.

Wow, penalties. I think basketball should adopt a similar overtime structure and just have a free throw contest. Riveting.

Soccer is nice to watch, but settling a game with free kicks has never sat well with me.

Doesn't matter...will be stuck at customs for a looooong while ;)

England had everything working for them...6 home games incl final and a goal after 120 sec....
That is 100% the strenght of Italy.
Doesn't help when you've got an absolutely incessant mainstream media overhyping the team 24/7 — a team that hasn't won anything since 1966, no less. You can say that the players can just switch off and ignore it, but the pressure is absolutely immense.

I wanted to see England get the job done tonight, but when you've got shit like this rammed down your throat from the MSM, pundits and fans, it's not difficult to see why so many people in the UK struggle to get behind the team (who are really, really likeable, let's face it).

This was written before the England vs Denmark game:
Screenshot_20210712_001052.jpg

And then there's Rio Ferdinand...
Screenshot_20210712_001102.jpg

Screenshot_20210712_001457.jpg

Screenshot_20210712_001436.jpg

Shearer...
Screenshot_20210712_000914.jpg

And Neville...
Screenshot_20210712_000835.jpg

Sadly, there's absolutely nothing united about the United Kingdom.

I shook my head when he brought on Rashford and Sancho cold to take pens. Sako is a fine young talent.
Soccer is nice to watch, but settling a game with free kicks has never sat well with me.
Penalties is not the way to win games but its classed as a skill.
Reckon extra time should be played with 9 men each

Not with this ref lol
Sterling was intentionally fouled in the penalty box going for a shot. Should have resulted in a penalty shot. Italians were fouling right and left and getting away with it. Granted, England looked terrible and Italy outplayed them most of the game, but the foul on sterling was outrageous.

Penalties is not the way to win games but its classed as a skill.
Reckon extra time should be played with 9 men each
Penalties are skill, just dumb to watch after actual soccer. After 90 min, I say it’s sudden death and every 10 min you have to remove a player. And no offside violations in extra time either. I’d watch the heck out of that.

Penalties are skill, just dumb to watch after actual soccer. After 90 min, I say it’s sudden death and every 10 min you have to remove a player. And no offside violations in extra time either. I’d watch the heck out of that.
Dunno about no offside, as it would completely change the structure of game (although it would make it damn exciting, so maybe).

At 90 minutes take a player off, then again at 105, then again at 120 and play till someone scores. 8 vs 8 by that point… won’t take long .

Dunno about no offside, as it would completely change the structure of game (although it would make it damn exciting, so maybe).

At 90 minutes take a player off, then again at 105, then again at 120 and play till someone scores. 8 vs 8 by that point… won’t take long .
I like this too. I've done minimal research, but I've never been able to determine if the offside rule was added to soccer to increase defense or increase offense. I'd guess to limit offense. Or maybe the strategy was really boring without it, like all the measures and countermeasures were obvious and offsides was implemented to spice things up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom