Emerald City CPC MD-50 cash set (1 Viewer)

Great set Toby, especially love the hundos, and I always appreciate when someone takes the time to tell the backstory about their customs. Congrats and have fun playing with your daughters (show no mercy ;) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: )

20210209_215729.jpg

Around 20% split spot on the fiver, for those interested

Last edited:
Not checked the other chips yet but I think the $5 had the most split spots

Toby those turned out fantastic.
They’ve come along way since the first drafts of them. Your colors and mold really make them.
I’m glad you finally got them made!

Wonderful set overall!
For me, the 5 is the star, but that 1 complements it beautifully.
Well done!
:tup:

1 split spot on the affected chips. Not multiple split spots on the same chip.
and all 3 colours have been affected. hmmmmmm. I dont want to get ahead of myself but the theory around colour combos being the issue doesnt stack up with your examples. I find it very interesting that it always seems to be just the single spot that is splitting. Without knowing the intracies of the manufacturing process my intial thought process goes to wondering if there is some sort of imbalance when pressure is applied to the mold. Hopefuly people with way more knowledge than I have can weigh in on this.

and all 3 colours have been affected. hmmmmmm. I dont want to get ahead of myself but the theory around colour combos being the issue doesnt stack up with your examples. I find it very interesting that it always seems to be just the single spot that is splitting. Without knowing the intracies of the manufacturing process my intial thought process goes to wondering if there is some sort of imbalance when pressure is applied to the mold. Hopefuly people with way more knowledge than I have can weigh in on this.
@BGinGA ?

I dont want to get ahead of myself but the theory around colour combos being the issue doesnt stack up with your examples. I find it very interesting that it always seems to be just the single spot that is splitting. Without knowing the intracies of the manufacturing process my intial thought process goes to wondering if there is some sort of imbalance when pressure is applied to the mold.
Color combos being an issue is a fact because Jim Blanchard, the man, has said so (different colors have different melting points, need to find a temperature where the viscosity of colors is similar or they’ll react differently to pressing), but it’s certainly not the only thing in play. I’ve also thought about uneven pressure, resulting in more material being pushed out of one side of the mold cavity. For example looking at chip faces, 3moons seem to very often have one of the moons shallower than the rest. Not sure if the shape of the insert plays a factor also (round vs. rectangular), or why exactly that tends to happen.

Regardless, great concept and absolutely beautiful chips @Toby :tup:

Split spots don't really bother me. I posted the info for those interested in numbers of split spots occurring in recent MD-50 production runs! (y)

Amazing set! Brilliant design, gorgeous execution, and a wonderful backstory. Enjoy them!

Color combos being an issue is a fact because Jim Blanchard, the man, has said so (different colors have different melting points, need to find a temperature where the viscosity of colors is similar or they’ll react differently to pressing), but it’s certainly not the only thing in play. I’ve also thought about uneven pressure, resulting in more material being pushed out of one side of the mold cavity. For example looking at chip faces, 3moons seem to very often have one of the moons shallower than the rest. Not sure if the shape of the insert plays a factor also (round vs. rectangular), or why exactly that tends to happen.
Been there with my custom (MD50) set.
Good face spots but split sides.
I made several versions of the same chips changing spot colors each time.
If you ask they will tell you what to expect and the best color combos that wont split/bleed.
Love your set!

Last edited:
Would like to see a list of the color and code (if such exists (Pantone)).

David Spragg says to use the hex code that you can get from the source code of the pokerchipdesigntool.com

In Chrome, r-click on the square color swatch, and select 'Inspect':

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 15.42.23.png

You can then copy the color code from the background-color value:

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 15.42.54.png

I'm not sure they're 100% accurate. But David advised to use these for color matching. Wouldn't work for some of the DG colors, natch. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom