Early Tournament Hand with AT (1 Viewer)

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
7 handed T1000 tournament, second of the night (hero came in second to cover both his buy-ins in the previous tourny), blinds are 10/20, Hero has around 900, everybody else is 800-1200. On the button, hero limps into the flop with :as::th:

Pot is 120 Flop :ks::js::jc:

Check around to hero, bets 100, two callers to the left both have me a covered by a bit.

Three handed. Pot 420, Turn is :7s: Both villains check to Hero.

What's the play?

JAM, or not. Personally I'm not limping on the button this early in the tournament. I would raise pre. Bet flop, jam turn. brick river pack up and go home.

7 handed T1000 tournament, second of the night (hero came in second to cover both his buy-ins in the previous tourny), blinds are 10/20, Hero has around 900, everybody else is 800-1200. On the button, hero limps into the flop with :as::th:

Pot is 120 Flop :ks::js::jc:

Check around to hero, bets 100, two callers to the left both have me a covered by a bit.

Three handed. Pot 420, Turn is :7s: Both villains check to Hero.

What's the play?

Preflop: I would have raised to weed out the limpy hands. Maybe around 3x plus 1x for every player who limped.
Flop: I would check this flop since there's evidently 6 players seeing this flop. We probably don't have all of them beat and our draw is fair.
Turn: CHECK! Two players just called your bet on a KJJ flop, so you're not to getting them to fold a better hand and they're not calling with worse.

So to summarize... CHECK!

The RIO implications of this situation are enormous. Hero will surely get snapped off when a villain has a jack and might get called down with a good king. Hero is risking 800 to win 420 (and it is a tournament so the last chips are worth more than the first chip in the pot.) Don't do it.

DrStrange

As far as a preflop raise, probably +EV for the win rate, but -EV for the social sensibilities at a table where these $10 coworker social games are the highest stakes anyone ever plays. Do it too often and the passive limpers just want to pack up and go home since they don't feel like they're playing cards. Plus, the table is pretty passive, so an overbet of the pot looks like AK+ (or a bluff at AK+). A bet of 50 probably folds Jack rag but keeps Kx+ in this case though.

Despite the limpers in the flop, Hero didn't smell Jack from the two villains. Too much hemming and hawing by two villains who aren't great bluffers historically. Seeing outs spinning around his head and being pretty confident, hero decides to jam and hope villains think he limped in with the Jack or hit the flush.

Covered villain is feeling short stacked after his draws have been missing and calls after some tanking and musing on hero's hand. Second villain snap calls over both of us.

Villain 1 has :qs: x
Villain 2 flips :kh: :9d:

River is :4h: and Villain 2 rides the big stack all the way to the end. Villain 1 leaves immediately, an hour before anyone else. Hero practices dealing for the rest of the game.

Preflop: I would have raised to weed out the limpy hands. Maybe around 3x plus 1x for every player who limped.
Flop: I would check this flop since there's evidently 6 players seeing this flop. We probably don't have all of them beat and our draw is fair.
Turn: CHECK! Two players just called your bet on a KJJ flop, so you're not to getting them to fold a better hand and they're not calling with worse.

So to summarize... CHECK!

This is good stuff. I like this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom