1/3 live river spot (1 Viewer)

natumes

Flush
Reaction score
I had an interesting hand over the weekend and curious on opinions. This is a $1/3 live game, 9 handed, $1k match the stack game. While the cap seems great, the room is often filled with promo chasers short buying. Most stacks at the table are around $200 or less, there are two other 2/5 regs with ~$1500 stacks, and hero is sitting with ~$700. I am going to give all action up to the river as I don't think there is much to discuss before then.

Preflop
CO ($1500, ok player, my read is he feels he is the best player at the table and is betting thin value too frequently and playing more aggressive than usual) opens to $10 (standard open is 10-15 with no limps). Hero on the button has :as::kh: and raises to $30. Blinds fold, CO calls.

Flop $60 - :ts::8s::6h:
CO checks, hero bets $30, CO calls

Turn $120 - :ah:
CO checks, hero bets $75, CO calls

River $270 - :ks:
CO bets $200, hero?

Curious on thoughts if CO had checked as well, what would you do?

Let's see. We only lose to QJ, a non-nut flush, or flopped trips. However, the king of spades was not a very good river for you here, even though it improved your hand.

I think it is unlikely that, if you were behind, it put you ahead. More likely than not, IMO, you were either already ahead and stayed ahead, or it improves your opponent's hand more than yours through completing the straight or flush.

I lean fold here I think; i know thats conservative.

Lots of suited connectors (and other) in villain's range. I'm a bit of a nit and would likely fold here, unless the villain has been bluffing a lot. I agree with a 1/3 pot bet if the villain checks, and fold to the raise.

Pre: Nice, that's a fantastic read for a player on your direct right lol. Did you pay someone for that seat?

Our top two is now just a beautiful bluff catcher now, especially with As. What does he see you as having that he's not scared of flush? What's your image, you been 3betting him a lot? He trying to bet you off your exact hand/a set with a busted flush n a pair or something?

Call and tell him he played it great if he wins.

I would have overbet the turn to end the story there.
Now, I 'm calling being pessimistic.
If villain hadn't bet the river, I 'd check back.

Pre: Nice, that's a fantastic read for a player on your direct right lol. Did you pay someone for that seat?

Our top two is now just a beautiful bluff catcher now, especially with As. What does he see you as having that he's not scared of flush? What's your image, you been 3betting him a lot? He trying to bet you off your exact hand/a set with a busted flush n a pair or something?

Call and tell him he played it great if he wins.
Table broke and I got moved there by luck, haha.
I have a tight semi aggressive image and I am winning, I have only shown down a few hands at this table and they were all strong. I have folded to this villains aggression a few times. Typically my 3 bets pre have gotten a lot of respect as I have not been 3 betting relentlessly at this table because there are two $100 stacks that will just put it in a lot and the other deep stack is a very good player and will squeeze that spot a lot.

You bring up a good point of what does he put me on? This isn't a typical 1/3 player that's just playing his cards, he is a 2/5 reg and is definitely considering ranges. I don't think he really knows me, we haven't played a ton together and as a white guy with a beard I don't stand out at the poker table vs the younger Asian guy that talks a lot that stands out a lot more.
Let's see. We only lose to QJ, a non-nut flush, or flopped trips. However, the king of spades was not a very good river for you here, even though it improved your hand.

I think it is unlikely that, if you were behind, it put you ahead. More likely than not, IMO, you were either already ahead and stayed ahead, or it improves your opponent's hand more than yours through completing the straight or flush.

I lean fold here I think; i know thats conservative.

Flopped straight as well
Against almost anyone else at the table I would be leaning fold. I think we can discount some of the thick value from villains range because he would certainly be raising on the turn with a set or flopped straight. I think QJ spades or hearts and J9 spades will find a raise a lot from this player as well on the turn but not always. With the 3 bet pre, I think suited gappers like 97 and J9 are going to fold a lot too. That really cuts down on flush combos- QJ, 76, 65, 54(maybe?).

67ss, QJss and Q9ss play this way. I don’t think there are too many other suited connectors in a 3-bet pot. But there’s 2 combos of K10s that might also play this way, A10 might also lead river for value sometimes and don’t forget we might be chopping. I’d expect to have heard from flopped sets by now. I’m actually struggling to find bluffs. J9 for busted straight draw? Would this V turn 10x into a bluff here?

Given that we beat some value I think we have to pay off. Especially with the As. I don’t like it, but I feel exploitable either way if I fold to flushing rivers. Either I pay them off, or I fold the best hand. Recently I’ve been calling and winning but that’s the games I play in.

Smells like a flopped set. I call and add on when they show the 8's or 10's.

I play with a lot of guys who are always shoving as a bluff in this spot when they are weak but with the nut flush blocker. Hoping to get everything else to fold.

Having top two pair, that seems unnecessary unless you think he has a better hand (set, straight, non-nut flush) that he’ll actually fold to a shove when only you can have the nuts.

Bluff catching (calling) seems fine to me here. You have way better than an average bluff catcher despite the flushy board. If you’re beat it’s for well less than half your stack.

Last edited:
It’s a call from me too. Maybe it’s an L, but I’m hoping he has KT.

I’m with everyone else in that I’m calling, but I’m not thrilled.

It’s pretty crazy how good of a play taking the betting lead away can be, especially on the river.

If your read is correct, then I would think he would be check raising a big flush draw with overcards (Something like QJs) on the flop or at least on the turn with a set or better.

I think we have to call here knowing he has been betting thin value. Sometimes you have to pay zat man his mahney!

One of the best possible bluff catchers. Needs a strong exploitative read to fold.

I do wonder if it could be an extravagant bluff raise sometimes at equilibrium, but I'd never do it.

So in the moment, my thinking was that he doesn't have a lot of hands that are beating me that are taking this line. I think flopped straight, sets, and the big combo draws are raising a lot on the turn. I think he has two pair hands like AT and KT, AQ and AJ with a spade that will bluff the flush run out, all of which I beat. But then there are some weak flushes that I do think would take his line, and I can apply max pressure with a shove and possibly get folds. So I moved all in. Villain was visually upset and frustrated and went into the tank for awhile. He eventually folded AK off. I showed him the As and he made the comment "no way you were flushing there". He apparently put me on a set of tens.

In retrospect I think the all in was too ambitious because I did not have enough money behind for any decent player to really fold with a small flush, and I was counting on him thinking I should only ever do this with the nuts and am never bluffing.

So in the moment, my thinking was that he doesn't have a lot of hands that are beating me that are taking this line. I think flopped straight, sets, and the big combo draws are raising a lot on the turn. I think he has two pair hands like AT and KT, AQ and AJ with a spade that will bluff the flush run out, all of which I beat. But then there are some weak flushes that I do think would take his line, and I can apply max pressure with a shove and possibly get folds. So I moved all in. Villain was visually upset and frustrated and went into the tank for awhile. He eventually folded AK off. I showed him the As and he made the comment "no way you were flushing there". He apparently put me on a set of tens.

In retrospect I think the all in was too ambitious because I did not have enough money behind for any decent player to really fold with a small flush, and I was counting on him thinking I should only ever do this with the nuts and am never bluffing.
Love it! His line really smelled like value. Turning top two into a bluff is fun. Don’t know if technically sound or winning play (I think so but very low confidence) but glad it worked out!

I had an interesting hand over the weekend and curious on opinions. This is a $1/3 live game, 9 handed, $1k match the stack game. While the cap seems great, the room is often filled with promo chasers short buying. Most stacks at the table are around $200 or less, there are two other 2/5 regs with ~$1500 stacks, and hero is sitting with ~$700. I am going to give all action up to the river as I don't think there is much to discuss before then.

Preflop
CO ($1500, ok player, my read is he feels he is the best player at the table and is betting thin value too frequently and playing more aggressive than usual) opens to $10 (standard open is 10-15 with no limps). Hero on the button has :as::kh: and raises to $30. Blinds fold, CO calls.

Flop $60 - :ts::8s::6h:
CO checks, hero bets $30, CO calls

Turn $120 - :ah:
CO checks, hero bets $75, CO calls

River $270 - :ks:
CO bets $200, hero?

Curious on thoughts if CO had checked as well, what would you do?
Calling 100% of the time depending on he villain

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom