Dunes Clay Poker Chip Pre-Sale (3 Viewers)

Light mineral oil comparison.

90 chips have been oiled - can you spot them?!

View attachment 1087021
The difference is clear and they look great. But I have to ask if the chips are actually absorbing the oil. Probably it varies between different types of China clays, but the ones that I’ve handled (just Milanos and majestics, I think) felt pretty plasticky and I’d be surprised to hear they were very pourous.

I’m no scientist but…both my experience and @BGinGA (and others) confirmations within related threads, indicate that there is some absorption. At a minimum, they stay bright and non-chalky for a very long time.

See this thread as an example.

Last edited:
After a few days, the mineral oil is either absorbed or evaporated or both. Leaving behind non-greasy, bright colored chips. Ready for play.

AACAD85A-7663-4112-B208-06D8BA1F37D1.jpeg
4AF71ABA-ACFA-4756-8484-2F7FCD6CEF41.jpeg

After a few days, the mineral oil is either absorbed or evaporated or both. Leaving behind non-greasy, bright colored chips. Ready for play.

View attachment 1089551View attachment 1089552
These look fantastic .. I just picked up a few sample sets from Apache and shuffling them as I type this.

Did you go with the method listed on their site? (A bit of mineral oil and water mixed in a pot then dump them in?)

These look fantastic .. I just picked up a few sample sets from Apache and shuffling them as I type this.

Did you go with the method listed on their site? (A bit of mineral oil and water mixed in a pot then dump them in?)
“Compression oil” your chips. There’s a thread. It’s worth it. Takes time but worth it. More exacting.

Anyone else think that the pink (I'm assuming) 25c is a washed out $5 every time they see it in pictures? That's my only gripe with these chips.

Anyone else think that the pink (I'm assuming) 25c is a washed out $5 every time they see it in pictures? That's my only gripe with these chips.
In play, they do not seem close at all. I’ve yet to see a player mistake the two.

The colors are great, especially the $20!

9CED775C-D8EE-469C-A6AA-754612E2E55A.jpeg

In play, they do not seem close at all. I’ve yet to see a player mistake the two.

The colors are great, especially the $20!

View attachment 1099129
Not saying they look close, just that the color of the .25c to me looks like someone bleached a red chip with dark blue spots. Maybe I just don't like that shade of pink. Love the other 4 though.

Not saying they look close, just that the color of the .25c to me looks like someone bleached a red chip with dark blue spots. Maybe I just don't like that shade of pink. Love the other 4 though.
I love the Dunes, I will say tho that pink frac is the reason I bought the majestics instead of the dunes. Milling over Dunes vs Majestics for days I finally gave my wife the two sample sets and asked her. First thing she said was "what's with this pink chip?" Bought the Majestics but I use the Dunes $20 with it even tho I know that's against the rules :p The dunes feel really nice, still love the set.
tumblr_muttximDjQ1scd8q2o1_500.gifv

OK, yes I agree, the pink Dunes fracs would be better if it were closer to the Majestic frac color.

In fact, the first run of Apache Dunes fracs were closer to coral. See attached pic. Perhaps @Apache can request the next frac run be more like the initial coral run!?

6AECEE95-0D7B-4C70-971C-7D863FE21AA9.png

OK, yes I agree, the pink Dunes fracs would be better if it were closer to the Majestic frac color.

In fact, the first run of Apache Dunes fracs were closer to coral. See attached pic. Perhaps @Apache can request the next frac run be more like the initial coral run!?

View attachment 1099164
Oh yeah the coral is definitely much better.

I just got a set of Dune's and they are wonderful, I was very pleased with the look and feel. I was surprised to see the $5000 chip color is different than what is shown on Apache's site, the White is now a Orange color. I don't know if this a mistake or they have decided to change the color format. This Brown, orange, yellow design is the same they use for the Majestic $5000 chip. I like the Orange so it is fine for me, even if it differs from the original color scheme.
20230620_003229.jpg

Is there any plan for Majestics to be restocked?
Apache states that Majestics ($.25, $.50, $10 & $5000 Chips will be out of stock till August), not sure about the other denominations they are out of.

Dunes, Majestics, Pharaohs... all the same chip body with a different mold, right? (and the smaller label on the Majestic of course) I don't think I can wait that long, so mixed set here I come if the stack sizes line up.

I just got a set of Dune's and they are wonderful, I was very pleased with the look and feel. I was surprised to see the $5000 chip color is different than what is shown on Apache's site, the White is now a Orange color. I don't know if this a mistake or they have decided to change the color format. This Brown, orange, yellow design is the same they use for the Majestic $5000 chip. I like the Orange so it is fine for me, even if it differs from the original color scheme.
View attachment 1153619
That's interesting, looks cool, but not similar to the real thing

Dunes, Majestics, Pharaohs... all the same chip body with a different mold, right? (and the smaller label on the Majestic of course) I don't think I can wait that long, so mixed set here I come if the stack sizes line up.
Apache also has [Penthouse Poker Chips] they are ceramic but have a nice feel to them, they are similar design to the Aria/Bellagio Noir style poker chips and they are fully in-stock.

That's interesting, looks cool, but not similar to the real thing
Yes, I did end up getting a couple barrels of the $5000 Dunes from spinettis that are more similar to the original Dunes 5K chip.
Dunes-_5k_600x (1).jpg

How do the spinettis compare to the Apache, I’ve been contemplating between the two..
The Spinettis' version is a nice looking chip, the inlays are more like the originals and they have a deep Dunes scroll but the feel is not as good as the Apache China Clay versions. The Spinettis version have smooth sides but the edges are sharp and the chip has a more plastic feel compared to the Apache CC Dunes. I like them both I wish Apache had made a more of one to one replica with the proper geometric inlays and edge spots but I am very happy with the Apache's CC Dunes overall.

The Spinettis' version is a nice looking chip, the inlays are more like the originals and they have a deep Dunes scroll but the feel is not as good as the Apache China Clay versions. The Spinettis version have smooth sides but the edges are sharp and the chip has a more plastic feel compared to the Apache CC Dunes. I like them both I wish Apache had made a more of one to one replica with the proper geometric inlays and edge spots but I am very happy with the Apache's CC Dunes overall.
This is perfect, thank you. I do like the look of spinettis version with smooth sides which is why I haven’t decided.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom