Need advice on oiling China Clay chips (1 Viewer)

Apache

3 of a Kind
Site Vendor
Reaction score
i just sold 4000 Majestic chips to a customer and he wants me to oil them before i ship. I never oiled that many chips.
Can you guys give me any advice on the best way to oil that many chps?

Only if mailing blanks.

Though China clays might be "ok" with a few second dip in water, I tend to steer away from submerging labeled chips. The oil/water trick is good for hotstamped/Paulsons/CPC chips with inlays.

Unless you're just oiling the rolling edges, there's no easy way to oil China clays (other than the dauber method. And that's still going to take an eternity. I'd personally just do the rolling edges, and call it good.

Take a rag (lightly soaked in mineral oil) then take a barrel at a time (Or 25 chips), and spin the barrel in the rag (between your fingers). Coats a barrel in a couple seconds. Then I'd set the barrel out to allow excess oil to soak in/dry (possibly overnight).

Easiest and most correct oiling method for China clays: don't.

I don't mind it for Milanos, but at least for my samples the Majestics aren't really chalky out of the box. Even just doing the edges by the barrel like @Trihonda said is going to take a good while for 200 barrels...

I don't mind it for Milanos, but at least for my samples the Majestics aren't really chalky out of the box. Even just doing the edges by the barrel like @Trihonda said is going to take a good while for 200 barrels...

I haven't owned any china clays since the Dunes commems, but even then oiling them was a thing and I found that a damp cloth had the identical effect with 10% of the effort and no lingering oil to sit on chips made of a material that doesn't absorb the oil in the first place (at least the Dunes china clay commems didn't)

Ool8ng my majestics took awhile...no way id do 4000 chips other than the rolling edge...ok i probably would.

I did 2 batrels at a time. Using a lint free rag i pinched the chip with 2 fingers while dragging the edge with the third...very light oil on the rag. Set them on a lint free towel and when I finished the last chip in the 2nd barrel, i started with the first chip I oiled and with some force wiped both sides on the rag the were sitting on, it was about a 10 inch swipe on the rag each side. Then racked them. That way it protected the labels, the oil had mostly stopped being absorbed at that point and my wife didnt have chipes all over the place. They lookngreat and arent greasy.

This is my opinion too. China Clays don't absorb the oil like other clays. It's a waste of time. The customer will probably complain about how oily the chips are.

This is a very good point.

I have 1800 Milanos. I tried a light oil on a few chips. The result was not good. As others have said, a wipe down with a damp rag was all they needed.

I have a bunch of Majestics, I washed and oiled my tournament set. Didn't spend the time with the cash set aside from the ones that I had to label, those I gave a bath too and then used a baby wipe on to clean/prep the surface before putting the label on. I have the perfect set to determine which is the best, still too early to determine as we've only used them a few times. But even after the first time you could tell which of the un-oiled chips had been in play and which had not.

...and no lingering oil to sit on chips made of a material that doesn't absorb the oil in the first place...

^^^ this

I have yet to see a China Clay chip absorb any oil -- it's like putting mineral oil on a PVC pipe. Sure, it'll look silky and shiny and smooth, but the oil just sits on the surface. And there are people here who swear that it does (absorb).

But hey, if you believe it and it makes you happy... effin do it. Hell, I still put cookies out for Santa Claus.

The china clay mineral components do absorb oil, and it can make a big difference in appearance (more for some colors than others). Using a damp rag to achieve the same visual effect goes away after the water totally evaporates. There is plenty of pictorial proof of both on this site, but it seems there will always be naysayers.

Fill with oil, then giv'er!
Kingfisher-1L-Hand-Pump-Pressure-Sprayer.jpg

I think it's probably an efficient method to just get some sort of assembly line going. I'm not sure as I have 3000 of my own to oil up soon. I'm subscribed to see what you choose to do.

Whether you think they should or shouldn't be oiled, the OP states that a customer is requesting it. I suppose that when time is money, the fastest way is the best way. But only if the results are satisfactory. If one was to oil china clays, what is the best method? Would the water and oil method apply too much oil for a china clay?

Would the water and oil method apply too much oil for a china clay?

Not a matter of too much oil, it's a matter of submerging the chip... Which has a sticker (label) on it. You run the risk of getting the sticker wet, and affecting its adherence to the chip...

Not a matter of too much oil, it's a matter of submerging the chip... Which has a sticker (label) on it. You run the risk of getting the sticker wet, and affecting its adherence to the chip...

I'd heavily discount that concern, since the adhesive isn't water-soluble and the labels are laminated (and not paper). I've never had any issues with submersion during cleaning or oiling china clay chips. I wouldn't advise soaking them for hours or days, but a dunk and wipe down should be fine.

I'd heavily discount that concern, since the adhesive isn't water-soluble and the labels are laminated (and not paper). I've never had any issues with submersion during cleaning or oiling china clay chips. I wouldn't advise soaking them for hours or days, but a dunk and wipe down should be fine.

I personally would agree with you, and if it were me, I'd risk it. Just didn't know the prudence of recommending a retailer do this to chips. Ya, probably not a big deal, and if oiling 4K chips, I'd use the water/oil method. It only takes a few seconds to coat the chips. The labels aren't likely to be affected.

i just sold 4000 Majestic chips to a customer and he wants me to oil them before i ship. I never oiled that many chips.
Can you guys give me any advice on the best way to oil that many chps?
Hi Josh, how did you tackle this in the end?

And there are people here who swear that it does (absorb).

But hey, if you believe it and it makes you happy... effin do it. Hell, I still put cookies out for Santa Claus.
He's referring to me :)

I still believe in Santa.

Although lately I have stopped buying China Clays and moved on to more expensive chips so it's moot now.

I used the water/oil method. The chips came out great. I am thinking about providing this service to all my customers. Something like $.05 - $.10 each extra.
That's a good service Josh!

Although oiling chips is probably 60% of the fun of the hobby for me.

Who am I kidding? It's probably 90%

I used the water/oil method. The chips came out great. I am thinking about providing this service to all my customers. Something like $.05 - $.10 each extra.

Well... I'm planning to start a business of oiling chips, and I plan to undercut your prices, lol... $.04/chip. So for $160, I can oil your 4000 chips. :). Shipping is extra! :)

In all seriousness, I think folks will appreciate pre-oiled chips. Great idea to provide the service.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom