Dunes Clay Poker Chip Pre-Sale (2 Viewers)

Are there plans to restock these?
I hope not :):)
No, I do actually hope they get some in, to add on toncurrent sets, or make small purchases to complete sets.

However, I hope they don’t waste a ton of money on continuing these, and instead produce another China Clay. I’d rather have another China clay than the Monaco, Elite, Paulson Knick off, or whatever these last things have been.

As a new owner of a cash set, curious about Dunes in general. Any background would be good to see.

How many Dunes CC v.1 were produced?
How many Dunes CC v.2 were produced?
How many v.2 production runs have there been?
Are current plans to keep producing/selling or winding down after depleting current stock?

I have cc Pharaoh chips now for tourneys and need a chip set for cash games. I’ve chosen Dunes as that set but doing research on quality. This is a pretty old post and I’ve heard that first batches can ca super awesome quality with nice sharp edges and great detail.

Has anyone ordered any recently and how’s the quality now? Is the tooling holding up to demand? Are they phasing out production anytime soon? This is the set I want I just want to make sure the quality is still great.

Context, like everyone else I’m interested in this set because I hear they are most like Paulson with crisp corners etc. and the $20 is gorgeous. Should I be looking at any other sets that would be similar to cc versions of Paulson or dunes? Thanks in advance. I’m new to the forum.

Yes, welcome to the forum.
One of my 1st tourney sets I owned was the China clay Dunes. Great set. Has evolved over the years. The 1k is lighter than version 1 but still solid.

Haply hunting !
6752FEB5-3847-4DC4-B7B5-7995B72BA8C3.jpeg
518327AA-CF5B-4BF8-9301-D8B9D719768D.jpeg

“Clay”??
Yeah, this title, and the pic in post #1 using the CPC design tool threw me for a loop too. Then I saw it was from 2016 and wondered - did I miss a Dunes CPC remake? How have I not seen these around? I was about to post and ask what mold these were on and then noticed the later photos showed these are the Dunes china clays that have been floating around as long as I've been here.

I have cc Pharaoh chips now for tourneys and need a chip set for cash games. I’ve chosen Dunes as that set but doing research on quality. This is a pretty old post and I’ve heard that first batches can ca super awesome quality with nice sharp edges and great detail.

Has anyone ordered any recently and how’s the quality now? Is the tooling holding up to demand? Are they phasing out production anytime soon? This is the set I want I just want to make sure the quality is still great.

Context, like everyone else I’m interested in this set because I hear they are most like Paulson with crisp corners etc. and the $20 is gorgeous. Should I be looking at any other sets that would be similar to cc versions of Paulson or dunes? Thanks in advance. I’m new to the forum.
I personally would say the Dunes aren't very sharp and don't feel anything like a THC or RHC. I almost pulled the trigger on the Dunes as a starter set, but ended up holding off and I'm quite happy I did so.

Some used Paulson sets or even BCC sets for $0.75- $1.25 / chip that would be a significant improvement. Even the Gemaco Tropicanas are a few rungs higher in my mind for the same or less money.

The Dunes are okay, but the sound and feel really put me off of them. Even BRPro ceramics for the slight bump in price are quiet a bit nicer in my eyes. China Clay never did it for me and I'm happy I avoided them.

I personally would say the Dunes aren't very sharp and don't feel anything like a THC or RHC. I almost pulled the trigger on the Dunes as a starter set, but ended up holding off and I'm quite happy I did so.

Some used Paulson sets or even BCC sets for $0.75- $1.25 / chip that would be a significant improvement. Even the Gemaco Tropicanas are a few rungs higher in my mind for the same or less money.

The Dunes are okay, but the sound and feel really put me off of them. Even BRPro ceramics for the slight bump in price are quiet a bit nicer in my eyes. China Clay never did it for me and I'm happy I avoided them.
Even though this thread began six years ago, it is a vendor sale thread by a highly-respected PCF vendor-member, so product-crapping might be best saved for any of the other of the numerous China Clay threads on this forum.

As a alternate viewpoint, my poker group loved the Dunes chips more than some lower cost Paulson chips. The Dunes colors pop and the mold and label design are all excellent. Dunes CCs are quite good.

$40 starting stack pictured below.

EBE0CFD9-B1F5-4AB0-BC9B-264AA863E390.jpeg

Even though this thread began six years ago, it is a vendor sale thread by a highly-respected PCF vendor-member, so product-crapping might be best saved for any of the other of the numerous China Clay threads on this forum.

As a alternate viewpoint, my poker group loved the Dunes chips more than some lower cost Paulson chips. The Dunes colors pop and the mold and label design are all excellent. Dunes CCs are quite good.

View attachment 1058770

Those are at least Gen 3.

I purchased them used via PCF in early 2020.

Not 1st, but maybe 2nd generation?

I think 1st was the “commemorative” with all the same edge spot pattern
2nd was the plastic version with faux shaped inlays
3rd is yours, no commemorative and different edge spots on the different denoms

Maybe you don’t count the plastic but all those were running around here together at one point and it was easy to get them mixed up or buy the cheap plastic one. I had a friend who did that and he regrets it to this day.

View attachment 1058770
I really appreciate this reply man... As my last tourney for a while (1/27th) and the February game is slated to be a cash game I still don't have chips for micro stakes cause I'm in "poker chip school" at the moment here at the forum. I'm bouncing around from Paulson research and weather or not I'm willing to accept the lower cost RHC and live with some used chipped chips. or spend more on THC knowing the Tiger Palace Sales are happening literally and coincidently the same week I joined this forum. Feeling a little FOMO on that I've swung completely to the other bookend of "maybe some ceramics or plastic chips would get us by for now" while I eventually work toward a premium set of Paulsons. Paulsons are inevitable but I can't delay games while I research. Then I saw your post... I do like the Dunes but not in love with the "comic sans" type font that's molded in. But I think at a glance on the table this set looks awesome for the average non-PCF player. This is maybe my best option.

Maybe you don’t count the plastic but all those were running around here together at one point and it was easy to get them mixed up or buy the cheap plastic one. I had a friend who did that and he regrets it to this day.
Wow, I'm a little gun-shy in ordering a set of dunes from apache poker after reading some of the comments here about buyers remorse and seeing the different versions you describe. I went to apache poker and just looked at what they were representing and see that there's variation in where you look within the site. When I look at the order page... those look pretty nice but the opening banner on their website looks like a previous commemorative version. Two concerns...

1. I don't wanna order a set of dunes and get a version I didn't expect and similarly if I order a sample set from them do the barrels shipping match the sample set? This is a big unknown as well. I would think if you ordered the sample set and got one version that they wouldn't ship another version but this is an assumption.

2. and secondly it would be nice to see a visual history of chip photos and it's linear history. And what you get when you order.

Anyone shed some light on this and any confirmations on what version is shipping from Apache Poker?

1673718799889.png
Apache Poker's website banner on the home page shows this version. What version is this? simulated molded insert/label, texture, etc.

1673718854052.png

Shop-now link shows a different version with round label sticker (exact copies???) I know that's not true. From what I've seen in photos this is the version that I would expect to get from them and I think I'd be happy with the quality and aesthetics.

dunes-5-poker-chip.jpg

When you click on the 5 to zoom in on the order page you see a different 5 than the home page.

1673719076569.png

Then there's this crap when you google dunes poker chips. looks like the apache home page banner chip. Also looks like it was molded by playschool Toys tbh and made of plastic, are these even China Clay?

Lastly... hope this doesn't come across as a rant... it's more of an investigation of pre-hesitantly in ordering a set of micro.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 1673718277981.png
    1673718277981.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 46

View attachment 1058770
Are these the versions of China Clay shipping from apache right now? Love the chips man... I think this version of chips will suffice while I slip down the Paulson rabbit hole for future upgrades.

This is super helpful guys. It's starting to come into focus for me here thanks... I just posted some pics, maybe you could verify the images according to the generations you speak of. If I order from apache I think I might be safe even thou they're home page top banner is a little misleading and outdated I presume... But If I choose to pick up a set of Dunes CC in the PCF classifieds I'm gonna need to know what I'm doing ;) Thanks again, really helpful to us new guys with no history on Dunes but a discerning eye none the less.

Are these the versions of China Clay shipping from apache right now? Love the chips man... I think this version of chips will suffice while I slip down the Paulson rabbit hole for future upgrades.
The ones pictured on the website where you're buying should be what you're getting. Also, my players loved them when introduced (first time not using dice-tier chips); they didn't seem that much more enthusiastic with Paulsons. If your game isn't chippers and you're content with CCs, those with a solid table/surface and cards are going to elevate your game over most others around.
ZJVRPLS.jpg

I really appreciate this reply man... As my last tourney for a while (1/27th) and the February game is slated to be a cash game I still don't have chips for micro stakes cause I'm in "poker chip school" at the moment here at the forum. I'm bouncing around from Paulson research and weather or not I'm willing to accept the lower cost RHC and live with some used chipped chips. or spend more on THC knowing the Tiger Palace Sales are happening literally and coincidently the same week I joined this forum. Feeling a little FOMO on that I've swung completely to the other bookend of "maybe some ceramics or plastic chips would get us by for now" while I eventually work toward a premium set of Paulsons. Paulsons are inevitable but I can't delay games while I research. Then I saw your post... I do like the Dunes but not in love with the "comic sans" type font that's molded in. But I think at a glance on the table this set looks awesome for the average non-PCF player. This is maybe my best option.
Just don’t try to buy a .25/.50 secondary set…I don’t want any more competition. Everything else is cool. Good luck!!!

The ones pictured on the website where you're buying should be what you're getting. Also, my players loved them when introduced (first time not using dice-tier chips); they didn't seem that much more enthusiastic with Paulsons. If your game isn't chippers and you're content with CCs, those with a solid table/surface and cards are going to elevate your game over most others around.
ZJVRPLS.jpg
This reply is amazing, thank you. In the time it took me to draft a similar question on apache poker's "contact us" you sent visual confirmation. I love this forum... think I'll stay a bit. You don't happen to have a photo of your cash set all racked up would you? love to see the edge spots. Your camera's pretty high def. If not no worries. Thanks again.

My players loved them when introduced (first time not using dice-tier chips); they didn't seem that much more enthusiastic with Paulsons. If your game isn't chippers and you're content with CCs, those with a solid table/surface and cards are going to elevate your game over most others around.
ZJVRPLS.jpg

I can second that. Milano's were a big hit when I hosted tournaments. Players liked the large denomination and colors. I received more compliments on them, then I did my ASM 312 chipset that I used for cash games. Same now that I have moved up in the chipping world. Players love the DDM's and are not that impressed with the Paulson sets that I own.

This is (most of) a set I bought here last summer that I’ll be looking to sell soon. $20s relabeled as .10 for micro play. Great chips, I just ended up building a small live Paris set instead.
85AA89E0-6B32-4547-B5D7-C5AF68A16ACD.jpeg

See this spirited thread for more Dunes & China Clay info and pictures.

View attachment 1058900
Love the photo... you guys are so helpful... That's exactly what I need. 8 trays for $392 or less in the classifieds. I have a case like that for my Pharaoh's cc 8 rack set but I like the size of yours. Do you happen to know the make and model of that? Looks perfect. Mine is a little larger and I like the extra foam but that pluck-foam is really annoying. I'll take a photo of mine if you're interested. It's my Pharaoh's tournament set.

Hey I'm noticing a few lighter pink .25s in that front rack. Is that from batch variability or are those the different versions mixed in?

Here's my Case... I'm thinking your case might be a good option. would be nice to know what make and model I'll check it out.
1673725197963.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom