Tourney Double re-buys? Rules help please! (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
On Friday we had our monthly game which I hosted. Last month I said no rebuys but there were only 4 of us. This time there were 9 and most assumed it was still unlimited rebuys.

We're playing $20 buy-in for T100k in chips. As the game went on, and the blinds got higher, one guy who busted out asked if he could buy-in for double - $40 for T200k. Since I didn't have a rule for this I asked the table and no one objected. In the end there were about 4 or 5 double rebuys in the game. The prize pool ended up at $540 by the end of the game. No one complained and everyone was happy - several guys got to the last 5 with only a single buy-in and it meant they had potential to win a large multiple of their stake.

But I think I need to make some rules about this. I don't want to allow double buy-ins from the beginning. Any suggestions?

Also, I usually determine the prize pool through the number of players so only paid out the top 2 (1-5 winner takes all, 6-9 top 2, 11+ top 3) but since the prize pool got so high, I would like to have paid out more players. Any ideas on this also?

Set the rules to - you can rebuy anytime at 100k or less.

This is a fairly standard rule for rebuys.

So you can rebuy right away before the tourney starts for a double stack. If you completely bust out you can double rebuy - 1st rebuy gets you 100k and 2nd rebuy is allowed at 100k or less.

If this is getting too many chips in play, set the starting stack to 50k and allow 50k rebuys at 50k or less.

If you really want to keep it equal to before you can make the tourney $10 for 50k with 50k rebuys for $10 at 50k or less.

Last edited:
Thanks @moose. I'm thinking of using rebuy chips - giving everyone two and allowing rebuys at $20 for T100k for the first two hours (BB from 1k to 8k) and then allowing $40 for T200k from then on (BB 12k and up). Capping the rebuys at 2 per player, use optional and only allowable if felted.

9 players and a $540 prize pool? $180 to start, $360 in re-buys.

No one has a problem forking over $20 or $40 to play.

You can offer players a 100,000 chip add-on at the end of the re-buy period for $20, but it sounds like players are allowed to re-buy back into the tournament at any time.

It may also be time to re-assess the buy-in amount and starting stack. Maybe move to a $30/150k chips buy in and 1 rebuy $30/150k chips. Maybe add a $10 add-on 50k chips. Gives different options for your players

Since I didn't have a rule for this I asked the table and no one objected.

When you announce the stake you are implying that's the limit. Since no one objected I guess you were covered, but probably good to clarify this for the future. Someone could say "I didn't know you could do that" and that would cause harsh feelings. Glad that doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

You can set whatever rules you want. Just bear in mind your chip set will need to support it :).

I think if you allow a double buy during play you should allow it at the outset as well. You could also allow single buys whenever they fall below a single chip stack during the entry period.

since the prize pool got so high, I would like to have paid out more players. Any ideas on this also?

I typically pay according to "entries" not players. 1-4 winner take all 5-8 pay 2, 9-13 pay 3, 14-18 pay 4, etc. If double entries become common it might make more sense to divide the number if entries by 2 before applying a chart like this. You'll get the feel for what works.

What I have are a mix of players, some who are only good for $20 and others who have much deeper pockets. What I’ve decided is to limit rebuys to 2 per player and when we’re at the second break, the rebuy is double and single rebuys are no longer allowed.

I asked the guys about payouts and they’re really only interested in winner take all. I will pay out second place for one buyin if we’re over 5 players.

I typically pay according to "entries" not players. 1-4 winner take all 5-8 pay 2, 9-13 pay 3, 14-18 pay 4, etc.
I do the same thing for casual (non-league) re-buy tourmanents, with the added stipulation that 50% of the field size never gets paid. So even with 10 re-buys, a 10-player field would only pay 4 places (never 5).

Like BG, we count players and entries separately. While I don't do rebuys generally (1x/yr for rebuy), other groups I've played with base the number of payoffs on the total number of unique players, not total entries.

I asked the guys about payouts and they’re really only interested in winner take all. I will pay out second place for one buyin if we’re over 5 players.

Interesting, we'll stay top heavy as long as that's what the people want. But I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later that could change. Just something to watch and anticipate as a good host :).

My re-buy rules as currently written:

RE-BUYS
52. Re-buys are optional and at the sole desire of the player.
53. The default game allows for unlimited re-buys (unless re-buy chips are in play).
54. Re-buys can only be done once the player is bust.
55. The standard re-buy is the buy-in amount (and one re-buy chip if in play) and the player will receive the same chips as the standard buy-in.
56. The Tournament Director will define if and when double re-buys are permitted and will be announced prior to the start of the game. Once double-rebuys are permitted, single re-buys are not allowed.
57. Double re-buys are equivalent to double the buy-in amount (and one re-buy chip if in play) and the player will receive double the chips as the standard buy-in.
58. At the time that the double re-buy period is announced, players may optionally elect to add-on to their existing stack an additional number of chips as the standard buy-in for the buy-in amount (and one re-buy chip if in play). Note that his add-on option is limited to only the instance of the announcement of the double re-buy period and concludes once cards are in play. Double add-ons are not permitted.

Starting stacks are 100bb and the double re-buy period starts when the blinds are 1/10 of starting stack (effectively 10bb).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom