Does your area have any weird/cool things to see/do?? (1 Viewer)

12thMan

Full House
Reaction score
So today I hear that they are cleaning off Seattle's gum wall (attracts rats, I felt stupid even questioning why they would be doing it after hearing how bad the rats are in that area) and it got me thinking about cool random things that are out there to do/see. I don't mean necesarily famous monuments (though if there's a cool reason to bring them up go for it) or things like that, everybody knows that Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee are buried in Seattle, but more things that are unique and exist for no other reason than people think they are or would be cool. For instance, near Palmdale, California there's the road that you drive at exactly 55mph (I think) and the grooves that are cut into the concrete play a song. I think Honda did it, but it's just a random little Easter Egg to find out in the world.

What does your area have, or what do you know of, that would make some people go "Huh, that's cool/funny/random." that everybody might not know about? Here's the two examples I was talking about with pictures stolen from the web since I'm to lazy to plug in my external hard drive to get my pics:

Seattle Gum Wall.

It's in an alley near Pike street and since the early 90's people have been putting their used chewing gum on the wall. It's been scraped before, and it was better when no one put business cards and other shit in it and it was all gum, but it's an odd sight to see and smell. I had always heard it was started by people from the theater that is on the other side of the wall but I have no clue, I wasn't old enough in the early 90's to be hanging out in Seattle. But once you do get there everybody has to have a friend that wants a picture taken acting like they are about to take a bite out of it, our group of friends also has the guy in it who is going to be the guy who pushes the other persons open mouth into the disgusting wall... The only problem with our groups execution of said funny picture is the guy who pushed the other guys face into the wall did it waaaaayyyy to hard and open mouth guy not only got a mouthful of OPG (other peoples gum) they also got a front tooth knocked out. And I feel really bad about that to this day, but my buddy had a good dentist and they fixed him up! ;) :

2012-09-24-SeattlePostAlleyGumWall%201_zpsfibuylf6.jpg

img_7914_zpsiv4kggp2.jpg

Freemont Troll

Under a bridge in Freemont, I don't know how long it's been there but I know that it was made specifically as a "whimsical" sort of statue by some local artists so it loses a few points for being a project planned by the "man" and not something spontaneous, but it's pretty cool none the less to take people to who have never been there. Depending on the time of day or night you go you could either be asked to take a picture of some tourists in the morning/afternoon, or if you go a little later in the evening you might be offered a toke or a beer, or go a lot later in the night and be asked to help hide a body...Freemont is an interesting area (and a shit ton of fun ;) ).

FremontTroll_zpssw7j0deb.jpg

So, anything you boys or girls know about that would be cool to see or do? There's more from around here, I'll dig some pictures up later if anybody has any others.

It's not as impressive as a gum wall but, in the Tipp Hill neighborhood of Syracuse there's the green over red traffic light. The story is that when the light was first installed that the residents would regularly break the light in protest of 'British' red over 'Irish' green. Ultimately the city installed the green over red light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill

Seward Street Slides

So. Much. Fun.

Definitely need a piece of cardboard to slide down properly and the city has also added another barrier about 3/4s of the way up, just like the one in the last pic. I can understand why, because you slide FAST, even from that height. I can imagine lots of people breaking limbs from the combination of speed and the not so soft dirt landing.

That, plus we have a huge pyramid here too :D

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-11_18-43-53.jpeg
    upload_2015-11-11_18-43-53.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 69
Frozen Dead Guy Days
Nederland, Colorado (about an hour west of Denver)

http://frozendeadguydays.org/

THE TRUE STORY (YES IT IS ALL TRUE)…

Grandpa Bredo is soon to be 109 years old. For years, he’s taken up residence in a Tuff Shed in the hills above Nederland, Colorado, where he remains very, very, verycold. More specifically, Grandpa is frozen in a state of suspended animation, awaiting the big thaw. The one that will bring him back to life.

There is a good story behind this, one that stretches from Norway to California to Colorado, involving cryonics, deportation, psychics, celebrations, and a dedicated Ice Man. It’s a tale that has captured international attention and sparked a must-attend annual event called Frozen Dead Guy Days.

Blue-Ball-300x200.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom