Do these words make a call? (2 Viewers)

I rule it is a call. I don't tolerate any type of angle-shooting, whether intentional or not.

If I hear the word 'fold', it's a fold. If I hear the word 'call', it's a call. Say what you mean, or say nothing. No word salads allowed.

"I wouldn't not want to fold." wtf does that mean?
Can we stop using word salad? Jeesh.

I rule it is a call. I don't tolerate any type of angle-shooting, whether intentional or not.

If I hear the word 'fold', it's a fold. If I hear the word 'call', it's a call. Say what you mean, or say nothing. No word salads allowed.

what if i said "i don't think i can fold this" - that's a fold? or "i definitely shouldn't call" - that's a call?

these are extreme examples, but nuance exists.

what if i said "i don't think i can fold this" - that's a fold? or "i definitely shouldn't call" - that's a call?

nah, this standard does not work at all.
It absolutely does work. If you don't intend to fold, don't say the word fold. Verbal is binding. Lots of ways to call without using the word 'fold'.

It absolutely does work. If you don't intend to fold, don't say the word fold. Verbal is binding. Lots of ways to call without using the word 'fold'.

what if i said "do you want me to call or fold?" is that a call because i said it first? there is so much wrong with your stance i don't even know where to begin. this is not binary.

Did he fold? Is it on me? I can't see if he still has cards or not.

So if he said, the full sentence, "I think I'm going to have to call you one of these times, but not this time," that's a call?

"I can't call you" is a call?

"No way I'm folding" is a fold?
Welp, I suppose you wouldn’t have to make those rulings too many times before people would stop making speeches.

Just because 'Action!' is called on you doesn't mean it's the start of your scene.

Just call, raise, or fold ffs. It's poker, not Acting 101.

I'm in the camp that speech play needs to be extremely careful with the words 'call, fold, raise'

I should call - not binding for anything
I have to call - hard to argue against a call. a quick BUT statement with minimal pause could cancel.
I think that I have to call - tippy toes on the line. The issue is people at table probably are half listening so could miss the 'I think'. Pausing also makes it seem more like you are resigned to a reluctant call. It's on the fence to me. Just have to accept the ruling and move on.

Regarding the insult, I tend to use it more for things than people when I'm not thinking, similar to gay. It's just something said throughout my youth/childhood.

definitely a call.

If you started a sentence with ‘I think I’m going to have to call….’
And then didn’t call, I’d think it was an angle shoot.

I would probably ask for clarification but if I had to ask, again, I’d feel like it’s an angle

Remove the word ‘i think’

So it’s just ‘I’m going to have to call.’

Is that a call? I’d say so, it’s just more obvious

I guess I'm in the retarded camp as well.
If you open the door to such ambiguous phrases containing the word of an action, the next person might think it's fine to angle with stuff like this.
And no, I'm not talking about "No way I'm folding here", but if you can just pause mid sentence to illicit a reaction like "I call... bullshit! Gonna fold though." or a phrase that by its own could very well mean I made a statement about my action like the OP did, I think it's reasonable to be strict in your ruling.
It's close in OPs case, but if I realize my wording caused the other player to act as if I had in fact called, my reaction would be the same as @upNdown s and I'd accept the ruling of a call.

Probably not a call as described. Possibly would be ruled one though. More often than not, it’s not a call.

In villain shoes I like to give ‘em a little “you think you have to what?” which is usually good for a table chuckle

I know I already responded earlier in this thread but I recall I was the one dealing the hand and when @upNdown said “I think I’m going to have to call…” and then paused I asked “is that a call?” and other player at the table (whom was noted as previously worked in numerous card rooms in past) said “that’s a call” so we all went with it in the moment.

I guess it takes a event like this to vet/clarify the rule going forward. But in my opinion it’s not a call. Cheers!

I know I already responded earlier in this thread but I recall I was the one dealing the hand and when @upNdown said “I think I’m going to have to call…” and then paused I asked “is that a call?” and other player at the table (whom was noted as previously worked in numerous card rooms in past) said “that’s a call” so we all went with it in the moment.

I guess it takes a event like this to vet/clarify the rule going forward. But in my opinion it’s not a call. Cheers!
Is that what happened? I couldn’t remember who first said is that a call? I wasn’t sure if Sean ever actually said anything during the whole affair.

What if a player says "I'm thinking of folding/calling/raising"? Or "I might ..." "Or "I want to.. "

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom