Dinner Plans? (10 Viewers)

lime marinated chicken with a home made basil and roasted almond pesto and zukes

20190721_172357.jpg

Forgot to take a pic, but tonight was baked wolf fish fillet -- which we'd never heard of before -- with sauteed orange bell pepper, cucumber, and tomato, chased by a mango and grape fruit salad, accompanied by an excellent Italian Erbaluce while the sun went down.

Anyone up in New England know wolf fish? It supposedly came from those north Atlantic waters...

Not bad for an evening pickleball rainout.

If you've never made your own pesto your missing out. Every summer we get a basil plant that goes crazy. I made a batch yesterday to use as a topping for chicken. It was the best batch that I have ever made. The only change was I roasted, and used almonds instead of pine nuts. WOW........The flavor was explosive. Its a 10 minute condiment to make.

2 cups of Basil (Basil works best, but you can practically use anything, I've made it with kale and cilantro before).
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste
Juice from half of a lemon
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (didn't measure)
oil , probably about a quarter of a cup?

I roasted the almonds at 350 for 10 minutes.

I put the basil, chopped garlic cloves, salt, and pepper, lemon juice in the food processor and gave it a couple of quick pulses. I then added the oil and almonds and chopped the shit out of it.

WOW........

Having Italian, but indecisive. Marinara? Alfredo? Pesto? Obvious answer is obvious...
1563792552272.png

Like @detroitdad , I believe there is no substitute for homemade pesto (or alfredo, or marinara), especially when the basil and tomatoes are from the garden. My preferred pesto is made with pine nuts when topping pasta (the almonds are a bit overpowering with meatless dishes).

(the almonds are a bit overpowering with meatless dishes).

I made the pesto with almonds once before, and I would agree that it was a tad too much. This time I roasted them, and it toned it down, while adding another level of flavor to the dish. It was paired with chicken that had a strong citrus marinade so that could also be why.

I love this cooking shit without using recipes lol. I'm still not 100% doing it, but definitely more than I was a few years ago.

Geez, I'm a messy cook. I could never get away with having poker chips that close to my work or eating area!
Hahaha sometimes @Ben8257 drops them in his food o_O
But those garden citys still need to be washed clean of hooker juice. Oh and Ben wanted me to tell you that the Aces are far away safe on a shelf!!

^ always imaginative looking dishes. You may have missed your calling!

Thank you.

I really love cooking. Now that I realize I can be as creative as I want too, I'm having even more fun. @Poker Zombie was a huge help in getting me started on this path. Then about two years ago I joined a cooking forum and that has catapulted me even farther!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom