Dinner Plans? (3 Viewers)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I love food...........Lets see what your eating for dinner.

I cooked Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks. Outstanding. This is the second time I cooked them. First time I over cooked them. This time I nailed it.

20141201_173048_zpsjeggan27.jpg

20141201_173858_zps4tfljymt.jpg

Tonight was a splurge night. I did a generously cut single rib of prime rib, rubbed with my house spice mix, seared, and roasted at 175 deg F to an internal temperature of 126, then rested for 20 minutes before being taken off the bone. Served with a tomato/cucumber/mango salad, and an excellent 2003 Ridge Paso Robles zin; followed by some Camembert and Pont l'Eveque; and finished up with the remains of a raspberry tart that my wife made yesterday. We're stuffed, and I have a tennis match at 10 am -- not good news. :cool:

PrimeRib2.jpg
PrimeRib1.jpg

I don't tend to take many pics of food, so instead of last nights dinner, lets go to my wife's birthday...

First, because it's her birthday, she gets options.
Elizabeth's Menu 2014.jpg
The stars indicate her selections.

Then I hunt down the ribeye that was aged 21 days
2014-01-26 17.31.58.jpg
I believe in overkill, so these are some monster 22 oz. (iirc) steaks.

Before dinner proper, there is an amuse bouche. Tonight it was a fried truffle risotto with parmesan on microgreens.
2014-01-26 18.38.06.jpg
I strongly suspect that someone joined ChipTalk (or PCF), Puggy gave his standard welcome, and I said "Ooooh! I'm making that for dinner". But I cannot confirm or deny that rumor.

Last year when attending S@P I, Mrs. Poker Zombie and I stopped by Hugh Acheson's Atlanta restaurant Empire State South. They had a terrific course there that I recreated for the first course. Charred octopus on red peas, smoked onion-squid ink puree, leeks, orange confit, and ginger.
2014-01-26 19.04.05.jpg
Orange confit, by the way takes a full 24 hours to prepare. Finding fresh octopus in Nashville, considerably longer.

Next the salad. Arugula, roasted pears, toasted almonds, balsamic, and a local farmed buffalo milk mozzarella.
2014-01-26 19.15.46.jpg

The steaks were grilled for the main course. That photo came out a little too dark, so no pic of that.

Dessert was Crema Catalana.
2014-01-26 20.56.28.jpg
Think Creme Brulee' with hints of citrus and cinnamon.

Since it was her birthday, she doesn't have to do any dishes on her birthday.
2014-01-26 19.51.31.jpg
The next morning wasn't her birthday anymore... :rolleyes:

You guys know how to participate in a food thread. Well done gentlemen.

Stocky, sorry bro. Good luck finding a new one.

B

I have some pictures of a Bone In Tomahawk Ribeye, aged 28 days..............fucking best steak/meal I have ever eaten. My buddy cooked them up. 32 ounce steak that we split. I'll go look for some pictures.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I have some pictures of a Bone In Tomahawk Ribeye, aged 28 days..............fucking best steak/meal I have ever eaten. My buddy cooked them up. 32 ounce steak that we split. I'll go look for some pictures.

He seared it over a charcoal grill (using lump coal). After searing it he moved it to propane and continued cooking for a few minutes over indirect heat.

Outstanding!!!

IMG_6893_zpscjtlupke.jpg

20140726_182342_zpss4rkqvbk.jpg

20140726_183227_zpsidkde0rr.jpg

20140726_183414_zps1davv88i.jpg

Funny, my cooked ribeye photo came out much like your first shot. It looks like it was overdone, but inside it was beautiful. Ribeye is very particular about it's lighting I guess.

Mine was also done over lump charcoal and apple-wood, but I did not shift to propane. I reach into the grill and shove the coal off to one side by hand to finish with indirect heat. The benefit to having firefighting gloves.

MR Tree,

I love waffles, and I love Fried Chicken (just rarely eat it), but I've never had this..............damn it looks good.

I have family in deep south Alabama. We used to eat Fried Chicken served on top of Pinto Bean Soup..............damn was that good.

Love Hash House a Go Go. Have been going to the LV location since the days when it took a car to get there. Insider tip: One person orders the chicken and waffles, the other person orders a single biscuit, or a side of bacon. That way you don't get stuck with a split plate charge, or worse: trying to polish off one of their breakfasts by yourself. :p

It was STUPID big. Ended up eating one breast, boxing the other up, and giving it to a homeless guy

For not having a smoker...I make a mean pulled pork with home made BBQ sauce. (Grampa's recipe)
I make sure to use smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder and alder smoked sea salt in the dry rub to make up for the lack of smoker.
Last Father's Day, as a treat for the guys in my poker league, I made a huge roast and brought all the trimmings.
I got asked for the recipe so much I made a how to guide with pics for them and/or their wives...
1. The Roast.jpg2. Rubbed Roast.jpg3. Roast in the Crockpot.jpg4. Roast in the Crockpot after 10 hrs on Low.jpg5. Roast in Casserole Dish being pulled apart.jpg6. Roast Juice and BBQ Sauce.jpg7. Roast almost fully pulled clean bone.jpg8. Pulled Pork back in Crockpot with juice, stir in BBQ Sauce.jpg9. Pulled Pork with one batch of BBQ sauce.jpg10. Serve on a Roll with slaw.jpg

Since we have a food thread..chicken and waffles at Hash House a Go Go in the Linq

View attachment 3834

Their chicken and waffles are great and HUGE. That place is a must do at least once while in LV. Also one of the better Bloody Mary's I've found in LV is in a little Tiki bar in the back of the mall at PH, also the best buy too.

BTW I don't see your "bud in a bag" with that meal......

Last edited:
Reactions: DRG
I love Hash House, and it was a must-not-miss stop on any LV trip. Then they opened an Orlando location, and now it only takes a 25 minute drive to get those fantastic chicken and waffles. :)

Boy, was it a splurge, that meat looks about as perfect as it gets! Nicely done!

Tonight was a splurge night. I did a generously cut single rib of prime rib, rubbed with my house spice mix, seared, and roasted at 175 deg F to an internal temperature of 126, then rested for 20 minutes before being taken off the bone. Served with a tomato/cucumber/mango salad, and an excellent 2003 Ridge Paso Robles zin; followed by some Camembert and Pont l'Eveque; and finished up with the remains of a raspberry tart that my wife made yesterday. We're stuffed, and I have a tennis match at 10 am -- not good news. :cool:

View attachment 3814
View attachment 3813

Just trust me on this one and do it just like it is written. You WILL thank me later.​

Cochinita Pibil

· 3lb boneless pork shoulder roast
· 1 large red onion
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 bay leaf
· 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
· 1/4 cup orange juice
· 1/4 cup lime juice
· corn/flour tortillas
· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
· Achiote seasoning (see recipe)
· Crumbled queso fresco (see recipe)
· Cebollas Encurtidas (see recipe)
1. Trim fat from roast if needed. Sprinkle Achiote seasoning evenly over all sides of the roast; rub seasoning in with your fingers. Place roast in a large resealable plastic bag and chill in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
2. In a 4 to 5 quart crock pot combine onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Place roast on top of onion mixture. Pour grapefruit, orange, and lime juice over roast. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
3. Remove pork from slow cooker and discard the bay leaf. Let pork stand until cool enough to handle. Using 2 forks pull meat apart and shred; place shredded meat in a large bowl. Transfer the onions to the bowl. Add enough of the liquid to moisten the meat; toss to combine. Serve meat mixture with tortillas and queso fresco. Cebollas Encurtidas (pickled red onions) and Chiltomate sauce are optional.
Achiote Seasoning
In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons ground annatto; 1 teaspoon dried oregano; 1 teaspoon ground pepper; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin; 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 4 tablespoons.
Crumbled Queso Fresco
· 8 cups (1/2 gallon) whole milk
· 1 tablespoon kosher salt
· 1/4 cup white vinegar
1. In a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven or heavy stock pot combine milk and salt. Heat mixture over medium-high heat to 190°F, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
2. Gradually add vinegar, stirring gently. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes. Stir gently (some curds should have formed).
3. Place a double thickness of 100% cotton cheesecloth in a colander in the sink. Carefully pour hot mixture into the colander, discarding the liquid whey. Allow cheese to drain in colander for 15 to 20 minutes to remove all of the excess whey.
4. Transfer cheese to a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 8 (1/4-cup) servings. The cheese may be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Crumbled Queso Fresco
· 1/4 cup white vinegar
1. In a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven or heavy stock pot combine milk and salt. Heat mixture over medium-high heat to 190°F, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
2. Gradually add vinegar, stirring gently. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes. Stir gently (some curds should have formed).
3. Place a double thickness of 100% cotton cheesecloth in a colander in the sink. Carefully pour hot mixture into the colander, discarding the liquid whey. Allow cheese to drain in colander for 15 to 20 minutes to remove all of the excess whey.
4. Transfer cheese to a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 8 (1/4-cup) servings. The cheese may be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.

You are welcome into the ranks of cooking bad-assery when you start making your own cheese (or any other simple ingredient that 99% of cooks would just otherwise buy).

Perhaps when Ben holds a meetup someday, I will do a cooking-extravaganza/poker-event warm-up.

lol, this dish is AMAZING. I am talking 4 star food out of your crock pot. The other awesome thing is that it is super easy. Just takes some prep the night before!

angusbarn.jpg 9 oz Filet Lobster tail prepared to perfection ... dijonaise sauce flanksteak marinade and a spicey honey mustard ....yummyville !

In case anyone is interested, here is an updated version of this dish that includes the cebollas encurtidas and the chiltomate sauce. Enjoy!!​

Cochinita Pibil

· 3lb boneless pork shoulder roast
· 1 large red onion
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 bay leaf
· 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
· 1/4 cup orange juice
· 1/4 cup lime juice
· corn/flour tortillas
· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
· Achiote seasoning (see recipe)
· Crumbled queso fresco (see recipe)
· Cebollas Encurtidas (see recipe)
1. Trim fat from roast if needed. Sprinkle Achiote seasoning evenly over all sides of the roast; rub seasoning in with your fingers. Place roast in a large resealable plastic bag and chill in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
2. In a 4 to 5 quart crock pot combine onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Place roast on top of onion mixture. Pour grapefruit, orange, and lime juice over roast. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
3. Remove pork from slow cooker and discard the bay leaf. Let pork stand until cool enough to handle. Using 2 forks pull meat apart and shred; place shredded meat in a large bowl. Transfer the onions to the bowl. Add enough of the liquid to moisten the meat; toss to combine. Serve meat mixture with tortillas and queso fresco. Cebollas Encurtidas (pickled red onions) and Chiltomate sauce are optional.
Achiote Seasoning
In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons ground annatto; 1 teaspoon dried oregano; 1 teaspoon ground pepper; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin; 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 4 tablespoons.
Crumbled Queso Fresco
· 1/4 cup white vinegar

Cebollas Encurtidas
· 1 Red Onion, into 1/2 inch thick slices
· 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
· 2 tbsp orange juice
· 2 tbsp lime juice
· 1 tsp coarse sea or kosher salt
· 1 tsp oregano crushed
· 1 clove garlic minced
· 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1. Preheat broiler, arrange red onion slices on a 15x10x1 Inch baking pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until charred and tender, turning once half way through broiling time. When cool enough to handle, separate onion into rings, discarding any large dry blackened pieces.
2. In a medium bowl, combine onion, grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, salt, oregano, garlic and pepper. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. Makes 8 (1/4-cup) servings.
Chiltomate sauce
· 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
· 1 tbsp cider vinegar
· 1/2 tsp bottled habanero chili sauce
· 1/4 tsp salt
[FONT=&amp]In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, vinegar, chili sauce and salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 to 8 minutes, or until sauce is desired consistency. Makes 3 (1/2-cup) servings.[/FONT]

Leftover Meatloaf tonight. I plan on turning it into a Bacon/Meatloaf sammy with Franks red hot, and swiss cheese.

We're about to head out to a five-course dinner at one of our favorite Sarasota restaurants, with a Moroccan chef who creates some very interesting dishes.

Couldn't possibly cook tonight. I've been doing prep work and general KP for the past two days, getting ready for our 89th annual New Year's Day brunch tomorrow afternoon from 1pm on. I'll be making crepes, sweet and savory, and omelets for forty-some people, and drinking a *lot* of Gruet Blanc de Noirs to get through the day.

Happy New Year, everyone!

-- Larry

We're about to head out to a five-course dinner at one of our favorite Sarasota restaurants, with a Moroccan chef who creates some very interesting dishes.

Couldn't possibly cook tonight. I've been doing prep work and general KP for the past two days, getting ready for our 89th annual New Year's Day brunch tomorrow afternoon from 1pm on. I'll be making crepes, sweet and savory, and omelets for forty-some people, and drinking a *lot* of Gruet Blanc de Noirs to get through the day.

Happy New Year, everyone!

-- Larry

Larry are you a chef?

We just did a cheese and oil fondue that included steak, shrimp, veggies, and bread. Going to follow that up with a chocolate one for dessert. All washed down with a lot of wine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom