Dinner Plans? (10 Viewers)

Nice! What kind of smoker do you have? That rack looks like the one I had in my Bradley.

I've got a Primo. Basically a Big Green Egg clone except it has an oval shape which is awesome for ribs and bris jets. (Also manufactured locally in Atlanta and the owner is awesome if you need a part or repair.)

The rack actually isn't from the smoker. Just one we keep in the kitchen.

I've got a Primo. Basically a Big Green Egg clone except it has an oval shape which is awesome for ribs and bris jets. (Also manufactured locally in Atlanta and the owner is awesome if you need a part or repair.)

The rack actually isn't from the smoker. Just one we keep in the kitchen.

I just check out the Primo. Looks like a nice unit. My bradley didn't last long-they are cheap and flimsy.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I love food...........Lets see what your eating for dinner.

I cooked Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks. Outstanding. This is the second time I cooked them. First time I over cooked them. This time I nailed it.

20141201_173048_zpsjeggan27.jpg

20141201_173858_zps4tfljymt.jpg

Perfectly done sir! I'm a foodie too.

NYE - Prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, grilled asparagus, Lemon pie, sausages in puffed pastry, wine and the bubbly.

New years day - fresh black eyed peas, toasted prime rib sandwiches and mimosa.

To determined: Prime rib soup made from the rack and the left over gravy.

Yum yum -=- DrStrange

Sounds good. Flavored with greek style seasonings I presume?

You would do well to use transglutaminase. You could do away with those toothpicks, and your food won't look like footsoldiers after the archer's volley.

Sounds good. Flavored with greek style seasonings I presume?

You would do well to use transglutaminase. You could do away with those toothpicks, and your food won't look like footsoldiers after the archer's volley.

wifey cooked them up. Flavored with just the spinach, feta, salt, pepper, and bacon. She served it with a Kale salad.

I'll google it. I have no idea what transglutaminase is, lol........were just lowly amateur cooks.

Depending on which part of Alabama, there is a strong chance you will be driving right by. We're 15 minutes off I-65, and roughly 8 hours from Detroit (I'd call that a good stopping point for the night). If you'd like, PM me when you might be heading through. Dinner will be hot, and my cards will probably be running cold. :)

I'll google it. I have no idea what transglutaminase is, lol........were just lowly amateur cooks.

I think it's edible glue. I'd stick with the toothpicks and deal with the visual....

I think it's edible glue. I'd stick with the toothpicks and deal with the visual....

Not quite glue (an adhesive that holds two items together), but if it helps to think of it that way, go ahead. In pseudo-scientific terms, it's an enzyme that works on the molecular level, and connects amino acids together.

Ribs and mustard potatoes. , slightly over cooked, but still delicious

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Centennial ipa

How about some Isaan food? (Northeastern Thailand) This is called Laab Moo. A very spicy Isaan chopped pork salad made with lime, Thai fish sauce, roasted red pepper, onions, roasted rice, palm sugar, and mint leaves. It will wipe you out if you are not ready for the heat.

2014-02-21145849.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One serving plated

We've been out at parties the last two nights, so tonight there's osso buco in the oven, to be served with homemade four-cheese ravioli and an older Ridge zin. Comfort food.

Some left-over raspberry-strawberry tart from last night for dessert. Espresso and Calvados out by the fire pit.

No TV, now that the Australian Open is over and football is gone. I'm looking forward to it...

tried this on a whim today. It was outstanding

20150212_144949_zpsgtilh7tb.jpg

20150212_170433_zpsn5kwg371.jpg

Next time I'd like to add either clams or mussels.

I doubled the ingredients except for the Cumin. I added Paprika, can of corn, and a half a bag of frozen stir fry veggies. I used Tilapia.

I didn't use the non fat yogurt. Instead I chose to top my bowl with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile
peppers, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 1/2 cups canned peeled and diced
tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup shrimp
1/2 pound cod fillets
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Directions:
1. Spray a large saucepan with the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 2 more minutes.
2. Then add the chicken broth, chile peppers and cumin, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Next, add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, shrimp and cod. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the yogurt until heated through.

We didn't cook last night, but we reached what is for us a significant milestone: we had an excellent supper at the Jacksonville Beach Roy's Restaurant. Sat at the bar, as we usually do, to watch the kitchen show, and ordered Red Curry and Chicken Samosas and Duck Confit Eggrolls to start, then Parmesan Crusted Sheepshead with Lobster Potato "Risotto" - Clam Bisque, and Prosciutto Wrapped Atlantic Wahoo with Fingerling Potatoes - Rainbow Swiss Chard - Pancetta - Shiso Beurre Rouge. Their trademark chocolate souffle for dessert. Glasses of Etude Lyric 2012 pinot noir, and a bottle of Laurenz und Sophie Singing 2012 Gruner Veltliner.

The milestone is that we've now eaten at every one of Roy Yamaguchi's restaurants in the continental US, including a couple that have since closed (Denver, Philadelphia) and one early Roy's licensing disaster (Seattle).

Sadly, we have yet to get to the ones in Hawaii, which are separately owned...but maybe one day.

And the continental Roy's have just changed hands, sold by Bloomin' Brands (Bonefish, Outback, Carrabas, and Fleming's) to a Texas guy named Sunil Dharod, who owns 69 Applebee's there, so who knows what will happen to this outstanding concept . 8;(

How about some Chong Nonsi area street food. Crab fried rice and some kind of seafood or whatever it was. Pretty damn good but my butt is on fire!!!!
image.jpg

Just trust me on this one and do it just like it is written. You WILL thank me later.​

Cochinita Pibil

· 3lb boneless pork shoulder roast
· 1 large red onion
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 bay leaf
· 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
· 1/4 cup orange juice
· 1/4 cup lime juice
· corn/flour tortillas
· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
· Achiote seasoning (see recipe)
· Crumbled queso fresco (see recipe)
· Cebollas Encurtidas (see recipe)
1. Trim fat from roast if needed. Sprinkle Achiote seasoning evenly over all sides of the roast; rub seasoning in with your fingers. Place roast in a large resealable plastic bag and chill in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
2. In a 4 to 5 quart crock pot combine onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Place roast on top of onion mixture. Pour grapefruit, orange, and lime juice over roast. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
3. Remove pork from slow cooker and discard the bay leaf. Let pork stand until cool enough to handle. Using 2 forks pull meat apart and shred; place shredded meat in a large bowl. Transfer the onions to the bowl. Add enough of the liquid to moisten the meat; toss to combine. Serve meat mixture with tortillas and queso fresco. Cebollas Encurtidas (pickled red onions) and Chiltomate sauce are optional.

I make a carnitas dish that is very similar to that (no achiote seasoning).
The main difference is you use bone-in pork, cube the pork first, then add the bone, plus salt, Poblano and Jalepeno peppers in with the onions and garlic.
Once it's done cooking, transfer it to a sautee pan and fry in small batches.

Just bought my first sous vide machine. The great experiment was delayed from supper until lunch today. Salmon fillet, one inch thick, cut across the grain two inches wide -- roughly a half-pound each.

Separately vacuum sealed, with two teaspoons of evoo, one teaspoon fresh lemon juice, six small basil leaves, a bit of orange/ginger pepper in each one.

The Sansaire came up to temperature in a few minutes, in a six quart stock pot. Not wanting to undercook the first time out, I used a temperature of 125 F, and let them go for 30 minutes (recommendation was 122 for 25)..

Didn't bother to sear afterward, as we wanted to taste the basic result. It was very good, served with a fruit salad and a glass of red wine.

SousVide1.jpg

Just bought my first sous vide machine. The great experiment was delayed from supper until lunch today. Salmon fillet, one inch thick, cut across the grain two inches wide -- roughly a half-pound each.

Separately vacuum sealed, with two teaspoons of evoo, one teaspoon fresh lemon juice, six small basil leaves, a bit of orange/ginger pepper in each one.

The Sansaire came up to temperature in a few minutes, in a six quart stock pot. Not wanting to undercook the first time out, I used a temperature of 125 F, and let them go for 30 minutes (recommendation was 122 for 25)..

Didn't bother to sear afterward, as we wanted to taste the basic result. It was very good, served with a fruit salad and a glass of red wine.

SousVide1.jpg

Id like to get an immersion circulator. How much did it set you back?

Making Tom Yum Goong with students in Bangkok
[video=youtube_share;U3BvqH7F6nQ]http://youtu.be/U3BvqH7F6nQ[/video]

Thawing some deer steaks. I will post it when made.

I have been wanting to try sous vide...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom