Dinner Plans? (12 Viewers)

Spaghetti marinara with hot Italian sausage, topped with parmigiano-reggiano and fresh basil. The bread is a delightful rosemary olive oil round loaf which we dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar while cooking, and then spread it with a garlic herb cheese spread for some toast. The meal was accompanied by a 2013 pinot noir that was so-so

20200512_190721.jpg

20200512_195111.jpg

Marinara is so underrated.

We always pre-package out "spaghetti meat", a blend of beef, pork sausage and spices, and freeze it. It makes a great, quickly accessible meal with dried spaghetti and sauce that we always keep on hand.

Then, in late 2018, I discovered the joy of marinara from scratch. Peeling the tomatoes level of scratch. Trying different tomatoes, different add-ins. The flavor varied wildly from awesome to "OMG this is awesome", but the flavors kept changing. Unlike the meat sauce, that was always dominated by the meat flavor with everything else as back-up singers.

It wasn't until the Covid panic shopping emptying out the shelves of the grocery store that I dug into my freezer to find what kinds of meat we had available, that I discovered that I haven't had a meat sauce pasta at home since 2018.

Then, in late 2018, I discovered the joy of marinara from scratch. Peeling the tomatoes level of scratch. Trying different tomatoes, different add-ins. The flavor varied wildly from awesome to "OMG this is awesome", but the flavors kept changing. Unlike the meat sauce, that was always dominated by the meat flavor with everything else as back-up singers.

I did this once about 10 years ago. It was way too much work for me lol. Your right. It was fantastic, but not worth the effort.

I did this once about 10 years ago. It was way too much work for me lol. Your right. It was fantastic, but not worth the effort.
It definitely makes the name "Sunday Gravy" make sence. You gotta have the time. Not "dedicated to cooking for hours" time, but 15 minutes to prep the tomatoes, and 2-3 minutes throughout the day to stir and make adjustments/additions. Since every 3rd day is a "Sunday" for me, it isn't too bad. Get it started, do a little yard work. Stir, waste time on PCF. Rince, stir repeat. By the time Liz gets done with work, and I've had a martini, dinner is ready.

Looks like a simple meal, but...

1589548524637.png

• Applewood smoked chicken. Wrapped in bacon for about 1/4 smoking process
  • Green Beans with smoked onions
  • Loaded smashed potatoes (Sour cream, the aforementioned smoked bacon, smoked then charred jalapeno, cheddar cheese)
  • Devil's Nectar BBQ sauce (from the local BBQ joint). Served on the side, because the stuff comes in at 300,000 scovilles.

Majestic Sunday dinner, at a friend's top terrace.
Athens' historical center, downbeat neighbourhood right now, overbuilt and baking hot, where you don't expect to hear much Greek in the streets (rather Urdu, or other Pakistani and Bangladeshi dialects).
Still, the ancient temples were visible, and reminiscent of Pericles' words in his "Funeral Speech" for the first casualties Athens suffered against Sparta: "What we have achieved in this City, those last two decades, will be marvelled by mankind, as long as mankind exists". Hair-raising godammit.
Evripidou1.jpg
Evripidou2.jpg
Evripidou3.jpg
Evripidou4.jpg
Evripidou5.jpg
Evripidou6.jpg
Evripidou7.jpg
Evripidou8.jpg
Evripidou9.jpg
Evripidou10.jpg
Evripidou11.jpg
Evripidou12.jpg
Evripidou13.jpg

Majestic Sunday dinner, at a friend's top terrace.
Athens' historical center, downbeat neighbourhood right now, overbuilt and baking hot, where you don't expect to hear much Greek in the streets (rather Urdu, or other Pakistani and Bangladeshi dialects).
Still, the ancient temples were visible, and reminiscent of Pericles' words in his "Funeral Speech" for the first casualties Athens suffered against Sparta: "What we have achieved in this City, those last two decades, will be marvelled by mankind, as long as mankind exists". Hair-raising godammit.
View attachment 460801View attachment 460802View attachment 460805View attachment 460806View attachment 460807View attachment 460808View attachment 460809View attachment 460810View attachment 460811View attachment 460813View attachment 460814View attachment 460815View attachment 460816
Those monuments look so... old. When are you going to build something new?

Those monuments look so... old. When are you going to build something new?
Hagia Sophia2.jpg
Hagia Sophia.jpg

We built this 1,000 years later (565 AD), but it was sacked and desecrated by Westerners in 1204 (all of the City's population mass-murdered by the ancestors of today's Western Europeans; most of this Church's and City's treasures to be found in either Venice or Trier today), only to fall, as a corpse, in Turkish hands from 1453 till today.

Other, later, building achievements:
Simonopetra.jpg

Pathetic evolution: The "Athens Tower"
:vomit:
Athina_Lykavittos_Athens_Tower.jpg

:(:(:(

Peppercorn crusted petite filet mignon with balsamic red wine sauce
served with broccolini and roasted potatoes with oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Ciel du Cheval 2000 Merlot

20200517_175640.jpg

I love the way my wife makes the broccolini: boil it, then into an ice bath to halt the cooking process, then into the HOT cast iron skillet with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The sound is like an arena erupting with cheer! If she uses lemon, she cooks it in the stainless steel pan. Delicious!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom