Dinner Plans? (8 Viewers)

Bacon and asparagus pizza

20190412_172508.jpg

My quest to create the perfect burger continues. I've started using a bbq rub instead of salt and pepper for the patties.
We also cooked up some brisket and make brisket burgers.
IMG_20190420_170020.jpg

IMG_20190420_171505.jpg

Last edited:
That burger looks amazing! What have you discovered so far?
They taste amazing, I haven't found a burger her that's better than my own. Most places won't serve you up a burger that's pink inside. If it's not pink, it's not good.

The key is to using high fat mince, using cuts like brisket and Chuck. I haven't bothered doing my own yet, because I know a butcher that does a specific burger mince that is amazing.

Let the mince get to room temperature, roll into balls, coat it in oil, add a bbq rub and it's ready to go. No further seasoning required. Never use bread or onion, it's not a rissole

Pre-heat the bbq, turn down heat as you put it in. Flip once and season again as you do it. Add cheese until it starts melting and you are done.

They taste amazing, I haven't found a burger her that's better than my own. Most places won't serve you up a burger that's pink inside. If it's not pink, it's not good.

The key is to using high fat mince, using cuts like brisket and Chuck. I haven't bothered doing my own yet, because I know a butcher that does a specific burger mince that is amazing.

Let the mince get to room temperature, roll into balls, coat it in oil, add a bbq rub and it's ready to go. No further seasoning required. Never use bread or onion, it's not a rissole

Pre-heat the bbq, turn down heat as you put it in. Flip once and season again as you do it. Add cheese until it starts melting and you are done.

I like what you have there, except the rolling into balls. The less you manipulate the burger, more juice is held inside the burger because it isn't as dence.

I like what you have there, except the rolling into balls. The less you manipulate the burger, more juice is held inside the burger because it isn't as dence.
Don't worry I'm very gentle. I tend to grab a chunk, which is pretty much a ball shape anyway. I just gently roll it into shape, ready to be pressed once i put it on the bbq.

These bad boys are juicy as hell

Don't worry I'm very gentle. I tend to grab a chunk, which is pretty much a ball shape anyway. I just gently roll it into shape, ready to be pressed once i put it on the bbq.

These bad boys are juicy as hell

I figured that you handled it well given the flaky meat in the photo. But when giving directions, most people would read that and roll it in their hands like they were about to juice an orange. I see it all the time in the firehall, and people cannot figure out why my burgers are so much better.

Chuck here is 20% fat, so I would expect some extreme juice. Standard (i.e. cheap) buns would turn into a soggy mess, but it looks like you use a higher quality bun. :tup:

I figured that you handled it well given the flaky meat in the photo. But when giving directions, most people would read that and roll it in their hands like they were about to juice an orange. I see it all the time in the firehall, and people cannot figure out why my burgers are so much better.

Chuck here is 20% fat, so I would expect some extreme juice. Standard (i.e. cheap) buns would turn into a soggy mess, but it looks like you use a higher quality bun. :tup:
You are correct, most people tend to overhandle them massively. It really makes a big difference.

I was previously using brioche buns, but they were almost disappearing into themselves. In this picture we used potato buns, which hold everything In nicely and taste great. I'm still trying to source some milk buns, I've heard they are the best. Annoyingly everywhere that does them is a wholesaler

Grocery stores near me sell frozen turkeys at Thanksgiving time for 39¢/lb. We always buy 2 for later use.
If I'm smart I buy some cranberries for freezing and making cranberry sauce, if I'm smarter I forget and get to have jellied cranberry sauce!

View attachment 280470View attachment 280471
17 lb brisket put on at 245 am
This is at 9am
Wrapped in pink butcher paper and finished to 203
Shall be good eats for tonight’s draft party

I thought we were the only ones nerdy enough to cook a special dinner for the draft.

Although the Draft is in local to me this year (Nashville), traffic downtown yesterday was so bad with people coming in, that a number of office buildings decided to shut down as people couldn't get in to work. I certainly dont need that hassle and will pass on the professional parties, and stick with some @Perthmike level hamburgers.

Has anyone tried to sous vide a burger?

I thought we were the only ones nerdy enough to cook a special dinner for the draft.

Although the Draft is in local to me this year (Nashville), traffic downtown yesterday was so bad with people coming in, that a number of office buildings decided to shut down as people couldn't get in to work. I certainly dont need that hassle and will pass on the professional parties, and stick with some @Perthmike level hamburgers.

Has anyone tried to sous vide a burger?
Have never tried that
My buddy and I went to the 16 draft that our home state hero Carson Wentz was part of
I have lots of friends considering going to Vegas for draft next year

So, the county has restrictions against burning (trees, branches, etc), unless it is for religious or cooking purposes. There is no restriction on the size for a cooking fire, so this is how I heated the cast iron skillet for the sous vide cheeseburger last night.

Note the 12" skillet :sneaky:

Last edited:
My quest to create the perfect burger continues. I've started using a bbq rub instead of salt and pepper for the patties.
We also cooked up some brisket and make brisket burgers.

Like you, I spent a couple of years tinkering in the kitchen to create my ultimate burger experience after getting sick of being disappointed with eating burgers out Regardless of what the restaurant/chef promised or how much I was fooled into paying, I was consistently disappointed.

Check out The Burger Show on First We Feast (if you haven't already) for further inspiration and variations to try. The episodes with George Motz are my favourite.

Pre-child I was grinding my own meat on the regular and playing with ratios betweens cuts. Chuck, short rib and brisket combo is now my go to, sweet spot for me is 20% fat but anything between 15-30% works well depending on burger type.

I've tried so many variations over the years with just about every type and brand of bun, cheese, sauce, onion, pickle you can think of. I always seem to come back to the simple cast iron double smashed burger these days. A thick, juicy, pink centered burger is still fantastic but there something about that extreme maillard reaction that only a smashed burger gives that keeps me coming back to it as my go to burger.

Like you, I spent a couple of years tinkering in the kitchen to create my ultimate burger experience after getting sick of being disappointed with eating burgers out Regardless of what the restaurant/chef promised or how much I was fooled into paying, I was consistently disappointed.

Check out The Burger Show on First We Feast (if you haven't already) for further inspiration and variations to try. The episodes with George Motz are my favourite.

Pre-child I was grinding my own meat on the regular and playing with ratios betweens cuts. Chuck, short rib and brisket combo is now my go to, sweet spot for me is 20% fat but anything between 15-30% works well depending on burger type.

I've tried so many variations over the years with just about every type and brand of bun, cheese, sauce, onion, pickle you can think of. I always seem to come back to the simple cast iron double smashed burger these days. A thick, juicy, pink centered burger is still fantastic but there something about that extreme maillard reaction that only a smashed burger gives that keeps me coming back to it as my go to burger.
Thanks I'll check that burger show out.

I want to grind my own meat (@RocAFella1 I imagine you are going to be quoting this in another thread)but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Once I've built my outdoor bbq area and bought a smoker, I think I'll get a grinder.

I also havent properly made a smashed burger. I press them down a fair bit but nothing like a smashed would be. I should remedy that.

I'm also a big fan of the basic double cheese, it's a classic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom