Did I have a choice in this spot? (1 Viewer)

ChipMonster

Two Pair
Reaction score
This one is annoying me. STT on Global Poker paying 1st and 2nd place and chip leader has been playing fairly aggressive with almost any two cards. I’m sitting comfortably in 2nd place until this hand busts me out. Should I have played differently? Should I have found a fold here with the board showing AKK and a flush draw?

https://play.globalpoker.com/gp/10/hand/c78ab062-8fbf-3544-a8d7-ffa287ba7b45

The flop lead OOP on this board into the BB pre-flop raiser is not necessary. You're only going to get called by better hands. That said, the rest of the hand played out as it would have regardless. Still though, that flop move will put you in bad trouble on most turns and rivers given the action thus far.

I know, not much different to do when trips hit. I don’t usually limp into pots like this but he wasn’t doing much pre-flop raising and was saving aggression for after flop so I was getting to see cheap flops with marginal hands. His reraise was actually abnormal and should’ve tipped me off. My raise post flop was to get a sense for where I stood because if I didn’t raise, he would’ve for sure and I wouldn’t have any better information (and I was trying to control pot sizing since I would’ve called a 1 or 2BB raise but nothing more so I may as well lead out with that). I thought for sure he held Ace low with his all in bet…

Oh well, this is poker!

I actually think ICM might dictate you fold pre since the short stack has only 2bb and you have 10bb. Not sure though. But the shorty will be in the BB next hand and have to put on nearly half his stack. And the chip leader doesn't have you covered by much, so the ICM value of your stack is very high.

Not your fault, but that’s a terrible website UI/UX. On my phone, whatever controls exist in the lower right aren’t fully visible/accessible. No idea what occurred in the hand.

I actually think ICM might dictate you fold pre since the short stack has only 2bb and you have 10bb. Not sure though. But the shorty will be in the BB next hand and have to put on nearly half his stack. And the chip leader doesn't have you covered by much, so the ICM value of your stack is very high.
I know, I probably shouldn’t have even entered the pot in the first place given the short stack’s position and played more conservatively to knock him out. I think that’s the part not sitting well with me because at the end of the day the short stack got paid and I didn’t, and that shouldn’t have happened.

Not your fault, but that’s a terrible website UI/UX. On my phone, whatever controls exist in the lower right aren’t fully visible/accessible. No idea what occurred in the hand.
I know, it’s horrible. I tried to screen record a video but PCF doesn’t let me load a video (or at least I don’t know how). My trip kings got busted by kings over aces boat

1) Fold Pre

The flop lead OOP on this board into the BB pre-flop raiser is not necessary. You're only going to get called by better hands. That said, the rest of the hand played out as it would have regardless. Still though, that flop move will put you in bad trouble on most turns and rivers given the action thus far.

I know @ChipMonster has acknowledged this but yes, this is 100% correct. Let the next BB put in 40% of his stack dark, this is a clear fold pre. I am probably only playing JJ+ AK, AQ maybe AJs in this spot. There are probably arguments to fold everything that's not AA here, tbh.

Now if if you were 2nd in chips but 3rd place was much closer to you, then I see the argument for playing this hand.

2) Check flop.

I don't see any value in donk-betting the flop after the BB was the preflop raiser with second pair middle kicker. An aggressive BB is going to frequently have Ax and Kx here and will continue. He might have smaller pairs you can fold out, but he's going to hit this flop more than a tighter player would that might more pair heavy and fearful of the two overs.

3) Since you made it to the turn...

Then you have no choice, you have just outdrawn most Ax, which I would assume is villain's most likely holding given the action so far. Turns out it's AK, which has you stone dead.

So on the turn I say there is no choice the money has to go in. But I think the two previous streets could have been rethought for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom