Design question regarding spots (2 Viewers)

TRB

Waiting List
Reaction score
Considering a set of CPC for a home game. I am doing an initial design - by no means is the graphic being considered - only purpose here is to have something to discuss the issue.

My question is this: Would it be strange to have a set of poker chips in which the edge spots were consistent across all chips, and the only change would be the base layer.

So, the spots would be sort of an homage to classic tri-colored beagles (the unofficial mascot) in black-tan-white and this would be the same on each denomination, but the base color would change.

Pic below for discussion. Again, by no means is this final design, just an initial concept.

If the same spots doesn't work, I'll reconsider the whole concept.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 2.52.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 2.52.35 PM.png
    344.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 2.53.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 2.53.27 PM.png
    429.8 KB · Views: 59
Unless the rest of the forum is helping you pay for it, you can do whatever you want. A custom set is going to be expensive so if you’re happy with it, why not?

Personally, I think I always prefer different spots but then again, I myself haven’t really seen a set with the same spots so I have nothing to compare with.

Considering a set of CPC for a home game. I am doing an initial design - by no means is the graphic being considered - only purpose here is to have something to discuss the issue.

My question is this: Would it be strange to have a set of poker chips in which the edge spots were consistent across all chips, and the only change would be the base layer.

So, the spots would be sort of an homage to classic tri-colored beagles (the unofficial mascot) in black-tan-white and this would be the same on each denomination, but the base color would change.

Pic below for discussion. Again, by no means is this final design, just an initial concept.

IMG_20221115_171646.jpg

Honestly I think it’s a great plan, especially if that spot pattern means something to you.
There’s been a trend recently toward crazy kaleidoscopes of bright brilliant colors. And although I love chips that look like they glow in the dark, too many crazy bright colors make me weary. Having the same spot pattern on each chip would avoid the overwhelming color assault, and pull all the chips together.

To add some contrast, I would think it would be quite boring and be reminiscent of dice chips. Also if anyone is color blind, it could cause confusion, where varying your insert pattern could help with color blindness.

There are some great old school things you can do using a limited insert colors, but altering the pattern.

Here is a tournament set I stumbled across that I really like.
Next set.png

Liked it so much that I started making a similar design myself. Thinking about making some oversized Tina ceramics, and If I like them I'd consider some CPC's. Simple. Colorful. Doesn't look distracting or confusing with these base colors.

Here is a tournament set I stumbled across that I really like.
View attachment 1164851

Liked it so much that I started making a similar design myself. Thinking about making some oversized Tina ceramics, and If I like them I'd consider some CPC's. Simple. Colorful. Doesn't look distracting or confusing with these base colors.
Works surprisingly well. Was about to post about how I think this is a bad idea. Still think it’s more fun to have different spots and spot colors, but for practical purposes it looks fine.

it is a high risk based on the price of CPC. I would think of using spot 1TA316 rather

Good point about the cost - what about going something more like this: This is the 312+ but there's also a 312 that doesn't seem to be in the design tool - the 312 is level 1 I think?
Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 11.51.16 AM.png

Consider using those same spot colors on all chips, but changing the number of spots used on each chip as the denominations get larger: i.e., 1, 2, 3, and 4 spots per chip.

So the tri-colored beagle spot would be represented on all chips, but the spot pattern would not be repeated across the set.

The 3A12 pattern could also be used on a fifth chip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom