How would one develop a new product/software (2 Viewers)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a general question.

I have an idea for a software package/application for hosting/running/tracking all things poker. I have the "design" sketched out in my head, and have a ton of things that I would like to see in this application. My issue .. I have no software/application design, patent design, etc... or .. well .. any skill or "know how"

If I developed a proof of concept (on paper of course), how could I potentially take this to the next step to get developed? Another major issue of course would be the limited customer base, and knowing that I wouldn't get much of a return on investment, if any at all.

Anyone have any experience in this world? Wondering if this is something that would even be possible.

Thanks

Mark

I have 30 years experience in software development and architecture but am now retired and enjoying it too much to work again.

take a night class, and let this be your project.
yeah, that's not an option. Between March and November, I'm usually booked in the evenings. Not something an hour or 2 per week is going to help with. I've been in the IT world for 25+ years, and this stuff is all over my head (and I don't really like coding)

yeah, that's not an option. Between March and November, I'm usually booked in the evenings. Not something an hour or 2 per week is going to help with. I've been in the IT world for 25+ years, and this stuff is all over my head (and I don't really like coding)
Fiverr then!

Same. Man I wish I liked coding but every time I try to pick it up again I lose interest after less than a week.

Not worth the effort.

In this setup, your best chance would be to utilize something akin to free lance, even better if you can find someone early in their career who enjoys either learning new processes/technologies/tinkering or a small 3rd party provider who regularly turns out minimum viable product platforms/sfws.

Even then, you are essentially now the product/project manager. Meaning that feedback on UI/UX, processes, change control, etc. would all need to flow through you. If you want anything beyond an MVP, you need to have the ability to create/provide/test solid use cases and speak your 3rd party's language. Even then, you are 100% beholden to them for any/all updates and changes which can tend to be expensive AND everyone develops/codes in their own style so getting feedback outside of your dev team or even worse dropping them at some point and bringing in an new touchpoint would be akin to restarting.

Whatever direction you go, you aren't building an enterprise software, and having no technical expertise yourself and a limited user base, it all equals a pretty difficult scenario.

Best case scenario is find a patient free lancer through something like fiver and hope that in listening to your idea they can leverage current tech to build something somewhat useable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom