How would one develop a new product/software (9 Viewers)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a general question.

I have an idea for a software package/application for hosting/running/tracking all things poker. I have the "design" sketched out in my head, and have a ton of things that I would like to see in this application. My issue .. I have no software/application design, patent design, etc... or .. well .. any skill or "know how"

If I developed a proof of concept (on paper of course), how could I potentially take this to the next step to get developed? Another major issue of course would be the limited customer base, and knowing that I wouldn't get much of a return on investment, if any at all.

Anyone have any experience in this world? Wondering if this is something that would even be possible.

Thanks

Mark

take a night class, and let this be your project.
yeah, that's not an option. Between March and November, I'm usually booked in the evenings. Not something an hour or 2 per week is going to help with. I've been in the IT world for 25+ years, and this stuff is all over my head (and I don't really like coding)

yeah, that's not an option. Between March and November, I'm usually booked in the evenings. Not something an hour or 2 per week is going to help with. I've been in the IT world for 25+ years, and this stuff is all over my head (and I don't really like coding)
Fiverr then!

Same. Man I wish I liked coding but every time I try to pick it up again I lose interest after less than a week.

Not worth the effort.

In this setup, your best chance would be to utilize something akin to free lance, even better if you can find someone early in their career who enjoys either learning new processes/technologies/tinkering or a small 3rd party provider who regularly turns out minimum viable product platforms/sfws.

Even then, you are essentially now the product/project manager. Meaning that feedback on UI/UX, processes, change control, etc. would all need to flow through you. If you want anything beyond an MVP, you need to have the ability to create/provide/test solid use cases and speak your 3rd party's language. Even then, you are 100% beholden to them for any/all updates and changes which can tend to be expensive AND everyone develops/codes in their own style so getting feedback outside of your dev team or even worse dropping them at some point and bringing in an new touchpoint would be akin to restarting.

Whatever direction you go, you aren't building an enterprise software, and having no technical expertise yourself and a limited user base, it all equals a pretty difficult scenario.

Best case scenario is find a patient free lancer through something like fiver and hope that in listening to your idea they can leverage current tech to build something somewhat useable.

I have a general question.

I have an idea for a software package/application for hosting/running/tracking all things poker. I have the "design" sketched out in my head, and have a ton of things that I would like to see in this application. My issue .. I have no software/application design, patent design, etc... or .. well .. any skill or "know how"

1) If I developed a proof of concept (on paper of course), how could I potentially take this to the next step to get developed? Another major issue of course would be the limited customer base, and knowing that I wouldn't get much of a return on investment, if any at all.

Anyone have any experience in this world? 2) Wondering if this is something that would even be possible.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark, I just saw this thread for the first time.

1) Having read through what can probably be described as a rough project brief of your idea, I can tell you if you took it to a professional dev shop this could happen. What your describing is not so much a 'proof of concept' though as much as it is a rough outline.

A good dev shop will start their discovery process by discussing what the end result needs to be and how the software will be deployed. In this case, you have a specific set of requirements that are almost certainly going to be an exclusive one-off and not a mass market product. So what you're really discussing is a custom made software product exclusive to your purposes*.

Once the dev shop has fleshed out what it needs to be, if they're interested in the project they will craft a proposal that includes 3 key elements: Design, UX (user experience), and development. Some shops charge for this because the discovery process can be lengthy so don't be surprised if there are fees involved. They would produce a proposal that would express the estimate as a range of billable hours - which would include the 3 abovementioned elements as well as project management time. So they might for example come back with a range of 100-150 billable hours at $175/hr.

*I'm sure you're not the only one who could use this, but given the development costs, you'd have to charge a significant license fee to justify the dev costs - so the market for this is almost certainly going to be very small.

2) With enough money anything is possible. Dev shops are like anything else though. Cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap. Most of the good ones won't touch a project unless it's over a certain threshold, say $20k for example. They usually have multiple professionals attached to a project, from the project manager, to the creative team to the developers, so they can't take on small projects due to economies of scale.

If you're serious about this and need a referral, I have people in my network who may be interested in taking a look at your project. But before you shop it around, you should establish a budget for what you're willing to spend out of respect for their time and yours too. I personally have no idea since I'm not a developer - it could be a complicated project but maybe not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom