How Common are Split Edges (1 Viewer)

The second arrow to the blurple chip - I don't know if it has an official name. Maybe squeezed spot? But I call it desirable. To me, those are the coolest spots in that entire barrel!

Edit: When I was having ceramic Tina chips designed a few years ago, I literally sent pics of spots like that to my designer and asked him to design edge spots that looked similar to these "squeezed" ones. The spots I dislike the most are the ones that have straight up and down lines.
Very cool!

Certain spot patterns it happens more often than others I have noticed too.

The CDI $100 sometimes does/doesn’t.

Yeah, it's relatively common on the CDI98 $100. And it doesn't happen on the $500, which is the same spot pattern. I therefore have to put it down to the Metallic Gold colour being a higher risk phenomenon compared to other colours.

What do you call it when the side edge slot isn’t flat/straight. And it sometimes wedges out.

I would call this "normal".

What do you call it when the side edge slot isn’t flat/straight. And it sometimes wedges out.

The yellow edge spot I pointed to is flat.
The lime green isn’t.

My theory on why this (almost always) happens is due to the hot chip being rotated while still in the mold, +/- some of the pressure on the edge when it is ejected from the mold. The compression process cannot be 100% even over all surfaces of the chip at all times. There's a fine line between needing the chip to stay in the mold so you have uniform dimensions, yet not so sticky that you can't get it out.

That's also the reason why there is chalky residue on newly made chips, because that's the remnants of the lubricant powder that ensures smooth removal of the chip, after the inlay is stamped in and before the edges are lathed smooth.

For those of us that are not normals, we would just like to try to define split spots for the normals.

Split inserts = unconventional sexy

It’s okay if your eyes are weak and can’t see the beauty, more opportunity for the underserved. :cool

I don’t like plastic chips or plastic women.

some plastic chips are okay

My dunes have a little bit of it all

1712856727260.jpeg

For those of us that are not normals, we would just like to try to define split spots for the normals.

Split inserts = unconventional sexy

It’s okay if your eyes are weak and can’t see the beauty, more opportunity for the underserved. :cool

I don’t like plastic chips or plastic women.
Hey, more power to you, to each his own and all that good stuff. But this is a hugely minority opinion. Somebody should post a simple poll. I bet you'd get fewer than 10% who say they like split spots.

My CPC set had 16 width spots on the lower denoms. Plenty of dovetail but not a ton of split spots with mostly dayglo base colors. I had the warnings on the mock ups in their tool but was ok with some of them as is as it as part of the chip character. They turned out great from my perspective

IMG_2888.jpeg

Hey, more power to you, to each his own and all that good stuff. But this is a hugely minority opinion. Somebody should post a simple poll. I bet you'd get fewer than 10% who say they like split spots.
In reasonable quantities, I would bet that more than 10% are okay with them. Say 10-15% of a certain chip with split spots. But yeah, I doubt more than 10% would want 20-25% or more to be split spots like the batch that @arch3r posted.

And isn't the whole point of edge spots to make it easier to count/estimate how many chips are in your opponents stack? Split spots completely defeat that purpose.

Oh come on, that's being just a bit dramatic, isn't it? A barrel height remains a barrel height, no matter how many split spots there are. Plus, it doesn't mean that every spot is split on every chip.

Oh come on, that's being just a bit dramatic, isn't it? A barrel height remains a barrel height, no matter how many split spots there are. Plus, it doesn't mean that every spot is split on every chip.
I see like 11 chips, before the seizure kicks in.
IMG_9951.jpeg

These are hybrids with the split spots designed in

View attachment 1310027

I don't consider those split spots, only squeezed spots.

If you're going out of your way to copy clay with ceramic, then this (along with slightly ragged edge spots on the face) would be a must.

I don't consider those split spots, only squeezed spots.

If you're going out of your way to copy clay with ceramic, then this (along with slightly ragged edge spots on the face) would be a must.
There we go “squeezed spots”. I didn’t see you name it earlier. Thx @allforcharity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom