CPC 312, 3916, & 3D14 Spots (1 Viewer)

bluff0809

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m toying with the idea of creating my own CPC custom cash set in a traditional style. I really like the H-mold after getting some Key West samples but wanted to ask about the different edge spots.

CPC offers 312 (L1) and the similar 3916 (L2). 3916 seems to be more widely preferred from what I’ve read (pioneered by Paulson?) but was wondering if anyone can show real life examples of the these three spots.

IMG_0143.png

Looking for real life photos of the left two edge spots. Doesn’t need to be these colors, these are an example of an example.

312 is supposed to follow the inlay radius whereas 3916 should not. From what I have seen, 312 edge spots look almost indiscernible to 3916 in real life. I’m trying to decide if 3916 is worth the extra 29¢/chip over 312. The 3D14 and 3TA316 are included for comparison since I consider them natural spot progression; not sure if I’m alone in this. Feel free to post photos of those as well!

Thank you.

Hey all,

I’m toying with the idea of creating my own CPC custom cash set in a traditional style. I really like the H-mold after getting some Key West samples but wanted to ask about the different edge spots.

CPC offers 312 (L1) and the similar 3916 (L2). 3916 seems to be more widely preferred from what I’ve read (pioneered by Paulson?) but was wondering if anyone can show real life examples of the these three spots.

View attachment 1264351
Looking for real life photos of the left two edge spots. Doesn’t need to be these colors, these are an example of an example.

312 is supposed to follow the inlay radius whereas 3916 should not. From what I have seen, 312 edge spots look almost indiscernible to 3916 in real life. I’m trying to decide if 3916 is worth the extra 29¢/chip over 312. The 3D14 and 3TA316 are included for comparison since I consider them natural spot progression; not sure if I’m alone in this. Feel free to post photos of those as well!

Thank you.

H-Mold I think is recommended to employ 7/8 inch inlays. However, an important safety tip on 312's (IMHO) is that they look better if a one-inch inlay is used given spot will hug the inlay without a gap.

Some might disagree with me, so go with what works best for you.

I have a preference for 3916's myself.... with some fairly similar colors to what you have above even!

B4480FA8-AFE6-4D4C-A2F8-895EC97644B9.jpeg

Butterscotch spots tho. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

3916 doesn't seem, to me, different enough from 312 to justify the bump up in price (for me, I understand why it would be a pain for CPC and therefore demanding the slight premium). But you do you.

Most interesting is that if using single-color spots 312 and 3916 are priced differently, but they are priced the same if using multi-colored spots.

Looking at the charts, one would expect 312 to be L2.

I think the 312 is more old-school
Whereas the 3916 looks more of a modern adaptation
I think you’re absolutely right and I originally had it backwards. Although the two samples you show maybe a little biased because of the chosen color combos. Poppin’ colors weren’t a thing traditionally.

I read in the pre-war chip thread the earliest spots were likely either 214 or 414. While a great simple edge spot, it doesn’t quite do it for me. Unless it’s on the Rounders set of course…

3916 doesn't seem, to me, different enough from 312 to justify the bump up in price
I generally agree but have seen some fantastic sets with 3916 edge spots. Even still, I’ve seem some spots that were 312 that you would swear were 3916 and vice versa. The samples provided in this thread a very clearly one or the other however. I was half wondering if the 312 cutter was starting to wear out and wasn’t cutting cleanly anymore but that’s only a swag. I think Colquhoun said it best: 312 is more ol’ skool.

Most interesting is that if using single-color spots 312 and 3916 are priced differently, but they are priced the same if using multi-colored spots.

Looking at the charts, one would expect 312 to be L2.
I noticed that while monkeying around with the designer. Is it because David needs to make multiple passes with the 3916 cutter but can do a single pass with 312? I can’t imagine it’s due to the minuscule of extra material in the 3916 spot…

My Suicide Queen's are all 3916
Those are absolutely gorgeous! I can’t believe I haven’t ran across your set yet after all my sleuthing. I love the hot stamps that transition to shaped inlays for higher denoms. And the colors are absolutely stellar for a simple two-tone set. It’s no wonder they’re in the HOF!

H-Mold I think is recommended to employ 7/8 inch inlays. However, an important safety tip on 312's (IMHO) is that they look better if a one-inch inlay is used given spot will hug the inlay without a gap.
Thanks for the tip! CPC does recommend 7/8” inlays with their H-mold. I see what you mean since the H-mold does not have a recess for its inlay thereby leaving a “border” around the 7/8” inlay.

1706703728185.png

Upping it to 1” dia. would get rid of the border. I wouldn’t have thought of that so thanks!

This all leaves me with the thought that a “traditional” set could be either 312 or 3916 so long as it’s limited to two colors per chip (base + spots) with muted colors* and a simple inlay, or hot stamp if that’s your thing. Am I on the right track or is that an oversimplification?

*Muted meaning less DG pink, DG tiger, arc yellow. and more canary, lavender, or retro blue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom