Dealer's Choice tournament (and other stuff) (1 Viewer)

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Ran a couple of tournaments yesterday -- our normal 30K NLHE league event, followed by a "Dealer's Choice" Tournament. First time for the DC event, it was very well-received given the fact that most of the players had never heard of many of the games, much less played any of them. Here's how it worked:

Dealer's Choice Tournament

- Buy-in: T10000 chips for $40 entry, optional $5 bounty chip
- Re-buy: T5000 chips for $20 if <T5000 stack (first 8 levels)
- Levels: 15-minute rounds starting at 25/50 blinds
- Structure: Button player chooses dealt game from list below

1st hour = Pot-Limit (4): Omaha, Badugi, Pineapple, Big-O Hi/Lo
2nd hour = Fixed-Limit (4): Stud, Razz, Razzaho, Pitch & Bitch
3rd hour = No-Limit (4): Hold'em, Crazy Pineapple, Tahoe, Super-Hold'em
4th hour = any blinds/community card game (1st or 3rd hour lists)

Most players had previous tourney experience with Hold'em, Tahoe, Stud, Razz, and Omaha, but not the other games. There were four players with significant cash game experience with Badugi, PLO, and Big-O, and two of those four cashed for 1st and 2nd places.

Tournament ran almost 5 hours (including breaks) for two tables (13 players, 4 re-buys). Super-Hold'em, Big-O, and Razzaho were huge favorites, with Badugi earning high marks for "most frustrating game ever invented after Razz ", and Pitch&Bitch being referred to as Bitch&Moan.

I expect the total running time to drop (probably closer to 4 hours) the next time we hold it, since most will then be familiar with the games and not require so much explanation of the individual game rules (which took a lot of time last night). Many comments received about the high fun-factor involved and positives about introducing alternate forms of poker.

One highlight of the later rounds four-handed was when the button raised pot followed by the big stack pushing all-in from the small blind with AAK32 in Big-O. Button snap-called with 66665, and the AQT5T board was not low-friendly to the big stack.

Next month's evening game with be a Limit Scrotum Tournament. Many of the ladies present last night cringed when it was announced..... :eek:

Oh, and my two bad-beat stories for the night:

#1 - NLHE tournament, 1500/3000 blinds. I'm short-stacked in the BB holding :ad::kc:. Aggro chip leader on my left raises to 10K UTG, two callers including the small blind on my right. I shove for 30K total, chip leader thinks a bit and then just calls, MP folds, SB calls. 100K in main pot, three players (one all-in, me).

Flop: :kd::ks::7c: -- SB checks, UTG bets 20K, SB calls. 40K in side pot, and I'm peeing my pants.

Turn: :jh: -- SB checks, UTG bets 40K. SB open mucks :tc::td:, and UTG collects the side pot.

I show my three kings, and UTG turns over :kh::ts:. Unless the river delivers a J or 7 to chop, I can already envision those 100,000 glorious chips being pushed my way.....

River: :th: o_O AYKM? Should have asked the room for insurance, Helmuth-style.....

#2 - DC tourney (Omaha called), I'm holding :ah::2h::3c::4d: in the SB. Five players limp (common for the night), I bet pot, BB calls, everybody else folds.

Flop: :5h::5d::6h: I bet pot, BB calls.

Turn: :as: I bet pot, BB calls.

River: :2s: I bet all-in, BB calls.

I flip over my hand, announcing nut straight. BB tables :ad::jc::5c::5s: calmly announcing nut quads (funny guy). Re-buy!

He later knocked me out in a Hold'em hand when I flopped trips but couldn't get him to fold his bottom pair and J-high club draw, which he picked up on the turn and hit on the river (runner-runner clubs). Some days the bear gets you.....

But a wonderful day of poker with friends, regardless of results. Life is good. :)

Last edited:
Ran a couple of tournaments yesterday -- our normal 30K NLHE league event, followed by a "Dealer's Choice" Tournament. First time for the DC event, it was very well-received given the fact that most of the players had never heard of many of the games, much less played any of them. Here's how it worked:

Dealer's Choice Tournament

- Buy-in: T10000 chips for $40 entry, optional $5 bounty chip
- Re-buy: T5000 chips for $20 if <T5000 stack (first 8 levels)
- Levels: 15-minute rounds starting at 25/50 blinds
- Structure: Button player chooses dealt game from list below

1st hour = Pot-Limit (4): Omaha, Badugi, Pineapple, Big-O Hi/Lo
2nd hour = Fixed-Limit (4): Stud, Razz, Razzaho, Pitch & Bitch
3rd hour = No-Limit (4): Hold'em, Crazy Pineapple, Tahoe, Super-Hold'em
4th hour = any blinds/community card game (1st or 3rd hour lists)

Most players had previous tourney experience with Hold'em, Tahoe, Stud, Razz, and Omaha, but not the other games. There were four players with significant cash game experience with Badugi, PLO, and Big-O, and two of those four cashed for 1st and 2nd places.

Tournament ran almost 5 hours (including breaks) for two tables (13 players, 4 re-buys). Super-Hold'em, Big-O, and Razzaho were huge favorites, with Badugi earning high marks for "most frustrating game ever invented after Razz ", and Pitch&Bitch being referred to as Bitch&Moan.

I expect the total running time to drop (probably closer to 4 hours) the next time we hold it, since most will then be familiar with the games and not require so much explanation of the individual game rules (which took a lot of time last night). Many comments received about the high fun-factor involved and positives about introducing alternate forms of poker.

One highlight of the later rounds four-handed was when the button raised pot followed by the big stack pushing all-in from the small blind with AAK32 in Big-O. Button snap-called with 66665, and the AQT5T board was not low-friendly to the big stack.

Next month's evening game with be a Limit Scrotum Tournament. Many of the ladies present last night cringed when it was announced..... :eek:

Oh, and my two bad-beat stories for the night:

#1 - NLHE tournament, 1500/3000 blinds. I'm short-stacked in the BB holding :ad::kc:. Aggro chip leader on my left raises to 10K UTG, two callers including the small blind on my right. I shove for 30K total, chip leader thinks a bit and then just calls, MP folds, SB calls. 100K in main pot, three players (one all-in, me).

Flop: :kd::ks::7c: -- SB checks, UTG bets 20K, SB calls. 40K in side pot, and I'm peeing my pants.

Turn: :jh: -- SB checks, UTG bets 40K. SB open mucks :tc::td:, and UTG collects the side pot.

I show my three kings, and UTG turns over :kd::ts:. Unless the river delivers a J or 7 to chop, I can already envision those 100,000 glorious chips being pushed my way.....

River: :th: o_O AYKM? Should have asked the room for insurance, Helmuth-style.....

#2 - DC tourney (Omaha called), I'm holding :ah::2h::3c::4d: in the SB. Five players limp (common for the night), I bet pot, BB calls, everybody else folds.

Flop: :5h::5d::6h: I bet pot, BB calls.

Turn: :as: I bet pot, BB calls.

River: :2s: I bet all-in, BB calls.

I flip over my hand, announcing nut straight. BB tables :ad::jc::5c::5s: calmly announcing nut quads (funny guy). Re-buy!

He later knocked me out in a Hold'em hand when I flopped trips but couldn't get him to fold his bottom pair and J-high club draw, which he picked up on the turn and hit on the river (runner-runner clubs). Some days the bear gets you.....

But a wonderful day of poker with friends, regardless of results. Life is good. :)
Looks like some interesting games I need to learn.

Pitch and bitch? Is that a game or just a whiny player at the table.

Looks like some interesting games I need to learn.

Pitch and bitch? Is that a game or just a whiny player at the table.

Pitch & Bitch - Stud Hi/Lo dealt with four down cards - players discard one and roll their own up card

That NLHE hand was especially bad since the deck was fouled. Nobody spotted the :kd: in both the flop and the Villain's hand? ;)

The Omaha hand... it was a paired board which is always dangerous in Omaha. Not sure betting pot on every street was the right thing to do.

I had to look up a couple of the games played in the DC tourney. With games like Razzaho I'm assuming you're playing 6-handed.

That NLHE hand was especially bad since the deck was fouled. Nobody spotted the :kd: in both the flop and the Villain's hand? ;)

The Omaha hand... it was a paired board which is always dangerous in Omaha. Not sure betting pot on every street was the right thing to do.

I had to look up a couple of the games played in the DC tourney. With games like Razzaho I'm assuming you're playing 6-handed.

Posting error corrected. :)

I figured if he had a boat, he would have raised at some point. Perhaps the river push might have been avoided, but I'm probably not check-folding anyway, with most of my stack already in the middle and a re-buy available. Never gave quads a thought.

With 13 players, we had six or seven at each table, and combined at eight. No issues all night with running out of cards.

Razzaho was quite a game..... really alters the good Razz starting hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom