Tourney Dealer mucked my winning hand (2 Viewers)

nbrun

High Hand
Reaction score
Scenario:

Money goes all in on the flop. I'm chasing the flush and opponent has a pair with a gutter.

The river gets both my flush and his straight there. Dealer kills my hand over, clears the board and begins to push the pot towards my opponent. I tell the dealer I had the ace-high flush.

Luckily, my two cards were still beside her muck and she was able to determine what my two cards were, Thank god. I went on to cash 4th in this tourny out of 98!

What happens if she wasn't able to determine my cards?

*Usually, I would say that you are responsible for your cards, but I didn't have control of my cards as they were turned up and moved to the middle for an all in.*

Generally, if cards touch the muck, they’re dead.

However, management can make an exception. From Robert’s Rules:
“Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved and ruled live at management's discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game. An extra effort should be made to rule a hand retrievable if it was folded as a result of incorrect information given to the player.”

So I’m guessing even though the player didn’t throw the cards into the muck, as long as the cards were easily identified and retrieved, can be declared live.

If the room is following TDA rules, since your cards were tabled, everyone has the responsibility to speak up if they see a mistake (Rule 2). You have until the beginning of the next hand to dispute the reading of a tabled hand (Rule 22), so luckily, it doesn't matter that much if your tabled hand gets mucked.

If the room is following TDA rules, since your cards were tabled, everyone has the responsibility to speak up if they see a mistake (Rule 2). You have until the beginning of the next hand to dispute the reading of a tabled hand (Rule 22), so luckily, it doesn't matter that much if your tabled hand gets mucked.
Sure, but it didnt seem like anyone else at the table saw the flush.

Everyone was cheering when the straight got there.

Well glad you got the right result. This is also why I am not a big fan of moving all in hands to the middle after tabling in tournaments. In a cash game and I have a tabled all in hand, I will keep a hand on it if I expect a share of the pot.

Mistakes happen, the sooner you speak up for yourself the better. Looks like you did exactly what you should do. Given the commotion you spoke up at the first opportunity. Ideally you stop the dealer the moment she moves to kill the hand, but I get that's hard given the commotion.

So what I didn't read in your post was ... how they handled hand over hand, where they chatty, did they know what they were doing, did they keep the game moving. These posts can be fun but they often don't have enough info to pick up on the quality of the dealer.

Trusting a dealer is a tricky thing, its not until you see them make a few mistakes can you have confidence in their dealing. Most of the time I don't let go of my cards until the dealer pushes the pot to me. I deal often, and I try to use the same process, its easier to over look a hand in PLO and I've seen all levels of dealers over look a hand. Like JustinMN I keep my hand on the cards until I hear the dealer announces my hand.

As a dealer I try to keep a robotic process, start with side pots, announce hands, take losing hands and roll them face down, BY the muck. I do this action in a deliberate way and not fast. This is when someone will say 'HEY, YOU NDF WTF?! I had the best hand' - okay maybe not all that but you get the ideal.

Watch the dealer to see if they follow the same process, watch to see how they handle mistakes, nothing wrong with announcing your hand. You can keep the cards closer to you out of reach of the dealer to trade the pot for the cards.

Well glad you got the right result. This is also why I am not a big fan of moving all in hands to the middle after tabling in tournaments. In a cash game and I have a tabled all in hand, I will keep a hand on it if I expect a share of the pot.

Mistakes happen, the sooner you speak up for yourself the better. Looks like you did exactly what you should do. Given the commotion you spoke up at the first opportunity. Ideally you stop the dealer the moment she moves to kill the hand, but I get that's hard given the commotion.

So what I didn't read in your post was ... how they handled hand over hand, where they chatty, did they know what they were doing, did they keep the game moving. These posts can be fun but they often don't have enough info to pick up on the quality of the dealer.

Trusting a dealer is a tricky thing, its not until you see them make a few mistakes can you have confidence in their dealing. Most of the time I don't let go of my cards until the dealer pushes the pot to me. I deal often, and I try to use the same process, its easier to over look a hand in PLO and I've seen all levels of dealers over look a hand. Like JustinMN I keep my hand on the cards until I hear the dealer announces my hand.

As a dealer I try to keep a robotic process, start with side pots, announce hands, take losing hands and roll them face down, BY the muck. I do this action in a deliberate way and not fast. This is when someone will say 'HEY, YOU NDF WTF?! I had the best hand' - okay maybe not all that but you get the ideal.

Watch the dealer to see if they follow the same process, watch to see how they handle mistakes, nothing wrong with announcing your hand. You can keep the cards closer to you out of reach of the dealer to trade the pot for the cards.

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

Thats a great idea, I will try to hold onto my cards as much as I can moving forward.

As for speaking up when she killed my hand: When she killed it, I thought I was mistaken and had to double check the board a few times and then ask myself did I really have two clubs haha, so it took a few seconds (enough time for her to start clearing more cards/chips)

Great responses, glad to have PCF

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

Thats a great idea, I will try to hold onto my cards as much as I can moving forward.

As for speaking up when she killed my hand: When she killed it, I thought I was mistaken and had to double check the board a few times and then ask myself did I really have two clubs haha, so it took a few seconds (enough time for her to start clearing more cards/chips)

Great responses, glad to have PCF
Don't be worried about slowing the process down at showdown, even if you are less than 100% sure. This is a spot in the process no one should rush.

Technically a pot can be protested until the next deal, however the more time that passes, the more likely an error may stick.

The time to point out an issue is when in happens. When you are unsure, don't be afraid to slow things down when it's your interest, within reason. (And a possible misaearded pot is certainly within reason.)

Protect your cards longer, for sure. And yeah, if you tabled it, the cards should speak for themselves even if muck was attempted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom