Dead Money Poker Custom Chips (1 Viewer)

XBobdog

Flush
Reaction score
The inspiration:

I play in a weekly game that begins with a tournament. As players are knocked out of the tournament they move to play in the cash game. It became a running joke that all of the “Dead Money” from the tournament quickly ended up in the cash game. The cash game doesn’t start until there are 3 players, and runs for a while with well less then a full table. Players that are looking like they are leaving without joining the cash game are encouraged to come and beat the “Dead Money” that they had already beaten once tonight.

When the E and C mold came available, I knew I needed to make some custom chips. I decided to go with a cash set and “Dead Money Poker” was born.

The colors:

I am a big fan of traditional, Vegas, colors for the denominations. So I worked around that framework.

The Inlays:

I wanted a different inlay for each denomination. As players enter the cash game, they often bring the story of their demise to the cash game. Occasionally, the story of their demise is provided BY the cash game. That is inspiration for the different inlays. Keeping the “dead” in mind by incorporating a skeleton with each inlay I took the common stories and made them inlays.

$1 The Fish.

Sometimes you really are “Dead Money”

$5 The Boat

We have a player who can never emotionally get away from his discarded hands. " I would have had a boat!!” is basically his catch phrase.... You are now playing cash because you folded all the hands that would have won.

$25 The Sharks

You can run into to better players or players that figured you out. In our game, there tends to be a lot of talk to the tournament about how capable the players remaining are. “Man, it’s gonna be hard for you, XXXX is the points leader and everyone left is tough, YYY has beaten everyone!!”

$100 Voodoo

I went with a sugar skull/ suicide king, A: because it is a cool looking chip, B: To represent the “I am cursed, can’t get lucky, never win a coinflip” faction that enters the cash game.

Many thanks to John @J5designs for his help in design of the inlays. five stars.

Enough story, here are the chips…

IMG_1163-3.jpg

Some splash action:

IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg

I have about 10 sample sets if anyone is interested. $14 shipped

Last edited:
Very nice, I am a big fan of naming each chip :)

1- We need rack pics showing rolling edge views, and
2- I strongly suggest getting dealer buttons made... preferably at least five different ones (Fish, Boat, Shark, Voodoo, Combo) and put me down for one of each :D

Outstanding design. Really love the contrarian theme, and use of black. The artwork/ theme is honest and humorous, without being there for novelty value. Also the grey one dollar chip is a great way to represent a light colour without being white.

It would be great to see a rendering/photo of the edge spots, especially the 500.

*** In for sample set! :)

CHEERS

Last edited:
Thanks @LinkyBabe!

I'd love a sample if possible!

You get used to seeing things that are similar, and the $100 chip is new one! I like it!

I agree with Ronoh that you need buttons! Id be down for two of each...that should get you closer to the minimums you need to buy.

Thank you all for you the positive reviews. I am very happy how the chips turned out.

I added a few racked pictures in the OP.

I'll PM everyone who responded about samples sometime this week.

Cool story and cool chips! Would love a sample set if still some available.

Sorry for those who couldn't get a sample set. I have a a re-order planned and will have some more extras when those come through.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom