Daniel Harrington's Books (1 Viewer)

YouTube….old poker books are great, but GTO changes everything. Unless, you play for fun…gto will annoy everyone and be very obviously GTO.
I keep forgetting everything in the world is on YouTube... I will check them out. Thanks

Going to bump this thread, I know there's YouTubes and Masterclasses for everything but I strongly prefer books. I listen to and enjoy Thinking Poker Daily but can't focus like I can when reading.

The Course by Ed Miller is amazing, and Elwood's trilogy on tells was great. Looking for other's to eat up.

Harrington’s books have kind of become a meme within the poker community as being outdated but I think that they will still make you a better player than the average recreational player. The game has evolved but probably not as much as people like to believe.

I read two anthologies which Little edited a few years ago. Found them more useful than your average poker book since there were 10-12 different authors in each. I don’t know about his books which are just him. He has lots and lots of videos on YouTube if you can stand his sort of annoying voice.

Going to bump this thread, I know there's YouTubes and Masterclasses for everything but I strongly prefer books. I listen to and enjoy Thinking Poker Daily but can't focus like I can when reading.

I subscribe to Thinking Poker Daily and think it’s excellent. Only thing is that they do way more tournament hands than cash hands, and lately I feel like they always wind up discussing ICM more than anything. Since I hardly ever play tourneys anymore that’s a bit of a drag, but I still listen.

Loved Harrington's stuff, but I feel like the game has changed so much since then

I subscribe to Thinking Poker Daily and think it’s excellent. Only thing is that they do way more tournament hands than cash hands, and lately I feel like they always wind up discussing ICM more than anything. Since I hardly ever play tourneys anymore that’s a bit of a drag, but I still listen.
Ill agree with that, Carlos doing a lot of the legwork leads to lots of tourneys. Like 10 episodes in and it feels like an 8/2 split tourney/cash. No, doesnt make or break every situation but like you said, lots of them use weird stack sizes and bubble considerations.

Loved Harrington's stuff, but I feel like the game has changed so much since then
Which game? it always depends on the game (i.e. rivals) you 're playing against.

Harrington's books are a very nice base to start with.
Depending on how high and how tough you want to get, Harrington's readings may get obsolete, but they may still provide you with the fundamental understanding of advanced books and courses.

Harrington is probably still useful at 1/2 or lower vs. most fields, but I think higher than that his approach would be too ABC since pretty much all the players would have absorbed his main concepts by now.

I read two anthologies which Little edited a few years ago. Found them more useful than your average poker book since there were 10-12 different authors in each. I don’t know about his books which are just him. He has lots and lots of videos on YouTube if you can stand his sort of annoying voice.
A voice perfect for charades.

These are the two Little books which he edited that I thought were pretty good—the ones with essays by multiple pros.

1702466201468.png
1702466141862.png

I recently read Play Optimal Poker, by Andrew Brokos. It's an excellent introduction to Game Theory concepts and fairly accessible. I'm currently working my way through Part 2-Range Construction...which is definitely a bit more challenging.

I read his books about 12 years ago and they really helped me. I also read Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed and thought it was good.

I haven't read a poker book since then, but have been thinking about rereading those.

I've tried doing some GTO stuff and haven't found it to be all that helpful.

I tried watching a few of Jonathan Littles stuff on YouTube and he annoys the shit out of me.

I love Gus Hansen book...If you combine it with footage its pretty awsome

I recently read Play Optimal Poker, by Andrew Brokos. It's an excellent introduction to Game Theory concepts and fairly accessible. I'm currently working my way through Part 2-Range Construction...which is definitely a bit more challenging.
I'm halfway through the first book and it's absolutely changed how I think about the game. Even just the idea that "even if you knew everyones' cards all the time you still wouldn't be able to know the 'right' bet" was a mind shift.

YouTube….old poker books are great, but GTO changes everything. Unless, you play for fun…gto will annoy everyone and be very obviously GTO.
A lot of GTO is really a rebranding of David Sklansky's "Theory of Poker."

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-ne...-author-david-sklansky-on-being-a-gto-deviant

Sure technology today makes it easy to take these concepts further through simulation, but their roots are decades old.

Back on Harrington, I think these books definitely laid the groundwork for tournament-specific theory. How to classify structures, how to evaluate stack size, and most importantly what strategy adjustments to make. A lot of this stuff was novel when Harrington wrote the books, but taken for granted today.

So I guess I look at Sklansky and Harrington both as pioneers of how strategy discussions have evolved.

Harrington’s books have kind of become a meme within the poker community as being outdated but I think that they will still make you a better player than the average recreational player. The game has evolved but probably not as much as people like to believe.
Agreed, but these Harrington books very much laid the groundwork for the idea of how much structure and stack size influence tournament strategy. It's easy to take those ideas for granted now that we have built 30 years on from this. But that groundwork is key to understanding all strategy discussion today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom