Cyber Attack at MGM (1 Viewer)

I’m heading out there with some buddies 9/29 - 10/2……. I hope they have this shit cleared up by the

Update as of last night, Sunday 9/17. I stayed at Nomad at Park MGM.

The slot machines work as far as taking your money and game play. There is no TITO working so if you want to cash out even say 75 cents it requires an attendant to come pay you out and it can be a wait. It was common to walk past 10 empty slot machines and see 5 of them with active credits below the minimum bet as nobody wanted to wait for small amounts.

Comps:
Resort Credit- Is only good at the location you're staying. We stayed at Park MGM so could only use it there. Our hotel check in, incorrectly told us we could use them at other mgm properties if we turned in the receipts. Not the case.
Free Play: Not working. You wont be able to use any freeplay. Players cards arent working at all and you wont be earning any comps as it cant track your play.

Wait times to check in can be long depending on where you stay.
MGM Grand has 7000 rooms so expect a wait. Nomad has 200 rooms so no waiting.

We could only get a single key for our room and they couldnt make a second one. Elevators are working but you dont need a key to access them or choose your floor.

Cosmopolitan was unaffected and was where we mostly played. Also spent some time at Resorts World. It's a really nice property.

Recommendations:
Easys at Aria. Incredible drinks and live music. It's a speakeasy behind the donut shop where the buffet used to be.
Bavettes Steakhouse- The chicago style ribeye with peppercorn crust and bonemarrow based butter is insane.

Have fun!

Comps:
Resort Credit- Is only good at the location you're staying. We stayed at Park MGM so could only use it there. Our hotel check in, incorrectly told us we could use them at other mgm properties if we turned in the receipts. Not the case.

When I was staying at Cosmo 2 week ago they said that eventually all MGM properties will work under your MGM Rewards card, but it's a slow rollout and Cosmo won't be integrated until Feb 2024.

When I was staying at Cosmo 2 week ago they said that eventually all MGM properties will work under your MGM Rewards card, but it's a slow rollout and Cosmo won't be integrated until Feb 2024.
Yah, this is only as a result of the cyber issue. They've worked together for years and years. Never had an issue using resort credit or freeplay at any resort. It's just because of the system being down.

Except of course cosmo which hasnt been integrated yet and is probably why they werent taken down by the attack.

Be aware @Potsie1

IMG_4678.jpeg

We are staying at Caesars Palace. Are they still having issues?
I believe Caesars paid the ransom and got their access restored. Could still be something lurking under the hood though. Be interesting to see if there are any data breaches in the coming months.

It's only interesting if one can actually read it.

Please do not post subscription-required links. @Tommy
Try this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...k-that-brought-chaos-to-las-vegas/ar-BB1kJ8hv

Why would we not post subscription links?

To not post a link says the author gets to decide what other people have access to. Why is that the solution?

If I can’t access a subscription link, I have options: subscribe, look for alternate method of access, or move along. If I move along, that’s on me, as I’ve decided the information isn’t worth it. Someone else might chose differently.

Yes, it sucks to post links for those who can’t access. (Which is why I posted the Apple News link to help maximize the access as best I could.) But it’s better than not sharing.

Try this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...k-that-brought-chaos-to-las-vegas/ar-BB1kJ8hv

To not post a link says the author gets to decide what other people have access to. Why is that the solution?

If I can’t access a subscription link, I have options: subscribe, look for alternate method of access, or move along. If I move along, that’s on me, as I’ve decided the information isn’t worth it. Someone else might chose differently.

Yes, it sucks to post links for those who can’t access. (Which is why I posted the Apple News link to help maximize the access as best I could.) But it’s better than not sharing.
Yah not sure why you can’t share a link even if it requires a subscription lol

I don't think there should be a PCF policy or anything against paywall links. (Though I guess one could make an extremely cynical case for a PCF rule if the purpose of these paywall links is to subvert forum advertising rules should a user's purpose be to shill for subscriptions. I am quite certain that's not what's happening here or even considered by most upstanding PCF users.)

At a minimum, I think it's fair to point out stories behind a paywall have a limited audience which limits responsiveness which does seem to undermine forum discussion. I might suggest as a matter of forum etiquette, it's always better to post an open link whenever possible (as @warma did in post #74), or failing that, maybe quote a snippet that's key to the discussion, without blatantly crossing the line of plagiarism.

Having read the story, that was a very tough decision, but probably the right one long term. They basically had to destroy their systems and rebuild from the ground up. But in terms of denying the ransom-seekers their prize and hopefully safeguarding themselves in the future, they did the right thing.

Amazing it started with a missing password request.
It's kind of horrifying at the level of incompetence and lack of security there was.

Having read the story, that was a very tough decision, but probably the right one long term. They basically had to destroy their systems and rebuild from the ground up. But in terms of denying the ransom-seekers their prize and hopefully safeguarding themselves in the future, they did the right thing.

Amazing it started with a missing password request.
I’m so skittish on clicking threads and sharing information. And to think companies want to sign me up for voice authentication in a world where AI can duplicated my voice. Crazy.

When I was asked to summarize, it wasn’t that I didn’t want to, but more like… how to? A cascading series of incursions and failures quickly take over an entire network of systems as MGM IT tries diligently to combat them and reclaim their network. That doesn’t do the story justice. I really don’t like long drawn-out reads where they take the middle 1/3rd to rehash the childhood story of our protagonist. But this one just rolls and goes. Brutal. I totally feel for the MGM staff working this and refusing to pay. The real-time posts above offered some indication of what was going on, but the reality was way worse.

As for the poor dude who served as the entry point… yikes. It’s always people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom