Custom Chip Database 2014, 4th quarter (1 Viewer)

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but folks might be more inclined to contribute to the database if they can see it.

Re disappearing images, I've noticed a lot of broken images to photobucket as well. I suspect that as people accumulate images, they reorganize their photos without realizing that they are breaking the links by doing so. For the long run, uploading images directly is better than using a third-party hosting service by at least ten orders of magnitude, give or take.

I hope you'll make your database available for viewing. It would be a great resource for all of us chip lovers.

-- abby99 (Tory extraordinaire)

I hope you'll make your database available for viewing. It would be a great resource for all of us chip lovers.

agreed. i'll be starting threads here and at CT in the coming week asking others to post their private stashes and i'll be putting together my own repository which i'll make available, but something as exhaustive (in terms of giving date of manufacture/posting, name the designer, etc.) would be awesome.

agreed. i'll be starting threads here and at CT in the coming week asking others to post their private stashes and i'll be putting together my own repository which i'll make available, but something as exhaustive (in terms of giving date of manufacture/posting, name the designer, etc.) would be awesome.

I could continue the online version if poker zombie does not feel inclined, but I would defer to him as it is his idea/baby.

All I have so far, is what you see in post #1 here, and then the 7 from this year. This is a project in it's infancy. That is the entire database.

All I have so far, is what you see in post #1 here, and then the 7 from this year. This is a project in it's infancy. That is the entire database.

Sorry. The words were there, but apparently they didn't register.

Jeff has been posting pics of custom chips on his website (link), and I'm interested in seeing what jbutler has in mind. I've been thinking of putting my own website together as well, although I'm concerned about the time commitment given my perfectionist and obsessive tendencies.

I remember Jeff's website. It was the reason I wanted something streamlined, so I came up with the idea of a quarterly review. He has pages upon pages to pour through, and it can become daunting (though equally stunning). The quarterly review also give a chance to look back on chips that would never make it to a dedicated fan site. Tommy's 25¢ Sahara, Toad's bounty plaque, and David's Holiday commems would normally be overlooked by something as massive as Jeff's page.

I am right with you on perfectionist and obsessive. I would not want to start the project, only to see it falter because I don't have the time to dedicate to updating the database. At least with it being a quarterly post, if I drop off the planet, it would be easy enough for somebody else to just step in.

The only thing that I am missing in my files right now is the story behind each chip/set. How beautiful would it be to look at Tom's Hitching Post set and then read the story about them, then go to the next chip in the series and read the story behind those. Sure, some chips don't have an amazing story, but most do. Some of those stories exist in the threads, but searching threads isn't always that easy. Some threads are simply titled "My Chip Idea". You can spend hours reading through the whole thread looking for the story only to find out the story you seek was in the thread "My Chip Idea take 3" or "Look what came in". We all like to look and share, but we are our own worst enemies when it comes to cataloging it all. I blame Facebook for this culture we have today of putting something up to be viewed for the moment, but impossible to find 3 years down the road.

I love this idea Poker "Rob" Zombie . It looks like you are including relabel projects of which I have one or two. I can send you pictures and details of you're interested?

Last edited:
It is my intention to include relabels as well. Relabels and ceramics seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the chip love, but some of these are downright beautiful for a fraction of the cost of a new set of CPCs. If you have anything to be included PM me!

...and my name's not Rob. You must be thinking of my more famous brother, Rob Zombie.

It is my intention to include relabels as well. Relabels and ceramics seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the chip love, but some of these are downright beautiful for a fraction of the cost of a new set of CPCs. If you have anything to be included PM me!

...and my name's not Rob. You must be thinking of my more famous brother, Rob Zombie.

Haha yeah I think that was a slip when I was typing your name I automatically thought Rob. Cool, I'll send you over a pm with some pics and info once I get my table out and take some good pron!

PZ, have you considered including links to gallery threads, mock-up threads, and/or chip albums in your database? The threads often contain the stories that you referred to (e.g., toad94's sometimes lengthy and well documented stories), and the pics in the albums have been uploaded to the respective forums and shouldn't disappear. Just a thought.

The intention of furthering our hobby is a good one. This discussion begs interesting questions that I would like to hear opinions about.

My site has only chips in my collection. This means that currently, the owners of the set have given me the physical chips or specific permission (for example, links_slayer didn't have extras of his awesome cash Three Putt Poker. sets and sent me the chips to scan and I sent them back to him).

The custom chips are only one section of my collection.

I have never come onto Chiptalk and captured pr0n from posts and posted copied pictures on my site. Needless to say, I haven't done that with PCF either, although there is much less content here than Chiptalk. As a disclosure, I don't operate a commercial site...at all, not a penny. It is my appreciation of chips. So...

1- Is it proper to capture pictures or scrape content off of Chiptalk and PCF if I am not commercial? If so, I probably would expand my coverage to other sets.

Lastly, the idea that someone would appropriate other people's content on Chiptalk to copy it onto a competing commercial site (PCF) seems wrong to me. Post or transfer your content, yes, but not other people's content. That seems wrong to me. So...

2- Is it proper for someone to transfer content you don't own from Chiptalk to PCF?

What are your thoughts???

I remember Jeff's website. It was the reason I wanted something streamlined, so I came up with the idea of a quarterly review. He has pages upon pages to pour through, and it can become daunting (though equally stunning). The quarterly review also give a chance to look back on chips that would never make it to a dedicated fan site. Tommy's 25¢ Sahara, Toad's bounty plaque, and David's Holiday commems would normally be overlooked by something as massive as Jeff's page.

I am right with you on perfectionist and obsessive. I would not want to start the project, only to see it falter because I don't have the time to dedicate to updating the database. At least with it being a quarterly post, if I drop off the planet, it would be easy enough for somebody else to just step in.

The only thing that I am missing in my files right now is the story behind each chip/set. How beautiful would it be to look at Tom's Hitching Post set and then read the story about them, then go to the next chip in the series and read the story behind those. Sure, some chips don't have an amazing story, but most do. Some of those stories exist in the threads, but searching threads isn't always that easy. Some threads are simply titled "My Chip Idea". You can spend hours reading through the whole thread looking for the story only to find out the story you seek was in the thread "My Chip Idea take 3" or "Look what came in". We all like to look and share, but we are our own worst enemies when it comes to cataloging it all. I blame Facebook for this culture we have today of putting something up to be viewed for the moment, but impossible to find 3 years down the road.

Very interesting questions Jeff. Looking forward to hear thoughts about them. I fall somewhere in the middle between "don't post something online if you don't want it stolen/used without your permission" and "the least you could do is give a nod to the person/site you got the pic from"

PZ, I'm more than happy to send you pictures/info on the 4 or 5 (maybe more? lol...I've kind of lost count...what a great hobby) custom sets I've had made. I know it's just a drop in the bucket but I'm happy to help bulk up your database, if only by a little bit.

very tough to choose among them, but these are my nominations:

(1) shootout at the post commem;
(2) DSC IV commem; and
(3) truman's house $2.
I'd vote for these also. [emoji56]

PZ, have you considered including links to gallery threads, mock-up threads, and/or chip albums in your database? The threads often contain the stories that you referred to (e.g., toad94's sometimes lengthy and well documented stories), and the pics in the albums have been uploaded to the respective forums and shouldn't disappear. Just a thought.

I have recently started saving links to the original threads. This will allow some of the stories to be found, and typically more pr0n, since I only use a single (and sometimes edited) photo for the database.

As for anybody who wants to PM me their sets, I will happily include them in the database as well. It occurs to me I may have put the cart in front of the horse here, but these are the things I've been including so far:
  • The name of the set or chip
  • The chipper - the person responsible for it's creation
  • An image of the chip (of course)
  • As applicable, the chip manufacturer, mold, spot pattern, hot-stamper, label manufacturer, and material type.
  • The artist used for the chip's design
  • When it was posted on PCF

This is in no way meant to be a slight to CT. As aforementioned, I simply do not have the time to troll both websites, and Tommy has been extremely supportive since I've been here. TenPercenter may have led me to the promised land. Tommy built me a home and let me hang art on the walls and gave me a mailbox big enough to handle all the pr0n people send me.

Tommy,
As an owner of PCF, what are your thoughts about these two questions?

The intention of furthering our hobby is a good one. This discussion begs interesting questions that I would like to hear opinions about.

My site has only chips in my collection. This means that currently, the owners of the set have given me the physical chips or specific permission (for example, links_slayer didn't have extras of his awesome cash Three Putt Poker. sets and sent me the chips to scan and I sent them back to him).

The custom chips are only one section of my collection.

I have never come onto Chiptalk and captured pr0n from posts and posted copied pictures on my site. Needless to say, I haven't done that with PCF either, although there is much less content here than Chiptalk. As a disclosure, I don't operate a commercial site...at all, not a penny. It is my appreciation of chips. So...

1- Is it proper to capture pictures or scrape content off of Chiptalk and PCF if I am not commercial? If so, I probably would expand my coverage to other sets.

Lastly, the idea that someone would appropriate other people's content on Chiptalk to copy it onto a competing commercial site (PCF) seems wrong to me. Post or transfer your content, yes, but not other people's content. That seems wrong to me. So...

2- Is it proper for someone to transfer content you don't own from Chiptalk to PCF?

What are your thoughts???

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]1= shoutout at the post[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]2= bounty plaque[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]3= whiskey club[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]4= club courage [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]5= PCF/PGI chip love the textured ceramic [/COLOR]

I don't see any policy statements or documents at chiptalk, ccgtcc, or here regarding this. imo I don't see it as enforceable, but I agree good etiquette would assume contacting the image owner for permission to use for non-commercial purposes. If the image owner is AWOL, then what? As to "wrong" I'm unsure if you mean legally, morally, etc. but I think it's a gray area. Retweet of content these days in order to promote usage is common, and probably serves the content creator. If posting elsewhere doesn't serve that purpose but instead the "borrower" then that would be my litmus test in the absence of policy. Of course, this isn't a one way street as any forum or images on the web suffer and benefit equally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom