CPC without labels (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've spent two years playing around with the CPC tool creating different sets that I know I'm never going to buy. My main problem is I just can't come up with a meaningful inlay design/theme that I know I'll want for the rest of my life.
If I do decide to pull the trigger I will start with just a single table tournament set. So my questions are:

- Can I order CPC chips without inlays and then just purchase labels later on?
- Is the middle recessed enough to add labels or do they need to be milled?
- Is this just a dumb idea because there is nothing quite like CPC pressing the labels on themselves and it will look dumb if I add them later?

Lay it on me please

1. Yes, but you have to mill them to make a recessed space for the label. There’s a cost. Or you can hot stamp them.
2. Blanks aren’t recessed. You have to mill.
3. Not a cost-efficient way, unless you hotstamp. But it won’t look dumb, see all the relabeled sets here.

Hire a designer or buy a cheaper temporary set until you figure it out.

You can order them without labels, but, there will be NO recess for your label...not good. I went through this a few months ago with them, and, that's where I left it. Then I started thinking that I could possibly order the chips I wanted with a blank label applied, then remove them. The labels aren't hard to remove, just takes a little time.

As you can see on their price list you can get chips without inlays. You might do this for example if you plan on getting them hotstamped later on. I would, however, suggest getting some plain inlay for the time being if you plan to apply your own inlays later. That way you could avoid milling and just remove the inlays and replace them with your own so you don't have to worry about the recess issue.

There are a number of good vendors on the site for making stickers to replace inlays later.

Yes you can order CPC blanks (no inlays), but they will not have enoguh recess to add labels later on unless you mill them. You can always order chips with a dummy/blank/generic inlay and then remove them which leaves a recess that you can add a label to later (not exactly cost efficient though but I have done this on occasion).

I have a sample of a mold blanks that was milled and with a textured label, and they feel phenomonal. Inlaid chips still do look better regardless of mold though.

My two cents - Ordering a set of CPCs is something very personal. As you have stated, buying a forever set like this needs to mean something to you. As we all see in the Classifieds, if you decide later to sell your CPCs, you will probably not recover your investment. So for me, I want to be sure that ordering a CPC set gets me something I want to own forever, and will pass on to my kids as something for them to remember me by.

If I were you, I would think some more on it. Come up with a theme that has a deep meaning for you, and don't rush into getting chips that don't give you that feeling. You could get blanks now and label later, but why add that extra cost and trouble? If you must have a new set for games you plan to host soon, stick with Paulsons, as then you can sell them later and will likely still recover all or most of your investment.

As you can see on their price list you can get chips without inlays. You might do this for example if you plan on getting them hotstamped later on. I would, however, suggest getting some plain inlay for the time being if you plan to apply your own inlays later. That way you could avoid milling and just remove the inlays and replace them with your own so you don't have to worry about the recess issue.
This is a good idea too as a compromise, if you have a color/spot design you like, but just can't decide on the inlay. Put something simple and generic on the inlay. I've heard that CPCs are far easier to murder than Paulsons whenever you do come up with that perfect idea for a forever inlay/label.

From experience, they do come off fairly easy. I got a CPC set that had most of the inlays already removed but a few were missed and they came off fairly easy by poking into the inlay with an exacto knife and then just kind of lifting it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom