CPC Tourney set ARRIVES!!!! (Oakland Murals) (1 Viewer)

wickwack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I wish I had made an unboxing thread; I wanted to wait for oiling/cleaning, and didn't realize how long that would take. But I'm still so incredibly psyched for these chips, and hopefully I can still convey that thrill today.

For those who haven't seen this before, the inlays are all of Oakland street art. I've contacted artists by all the means I could fine. For those who responded, I negotiated permission and in many cases compensated them.

I'll post follow up comments with the unboxing photos and options for replacing the T5 and T25.

A couple thoughts:
  • I absolutely love the look and feel of these chips. The colors and vibrancy and feel is everything I had hoped it would be. I had lots of big-picture doubts (ceramic? other mold? inlays too busy?) and find all of those fears unfounded. Totally worth the money (and it is a lot...).
  • I was worried about these inlays being too busy / colorful, but they work beautifully with each other and with the clay.
  • The T5 and T25 clay colors are disappointing, especially from the side. They suit the mural well, but I think the edge spots need more contrast, especially the 1/8" spots. I'm thinking about re-ordering, see below for details. (I had color samples, but spent most of my time making sure they suited the mural, and less time thinking about how they'd look from the side).
  • Samples coming! I'll make a separate thread.
The artists:
  • T5: Unknown author / title, part of BLM protests this summer.
  • T25: "Palestinian Solidarity Mural" by Chris Gazaleh and Erin Yosh
  • T100: "Ghost Ship" by Vogue TDK
  • T500: "Visionary" by Joshua Mays

Beyond the artwork, the designs are my own, but with a bunch of help/advice. Thanks to @David Spragg, @Gear, @p5woody, @HobokenNJ, and others.

At the moment, I'm working on a dealer button and a bounty plaque. After that, I'll do a cash set on the same theme, FDL mold (see design thread).

all-top-view-better.jpg

Thanks to @TKEUofM and this thread, I had a great storage option handy:
both-cases.jpg

t5-better.jpg

t25.jpg

t100.jpg

t500-better.jpg

splash-better.jpg

Re replacing the T5 and T25. I think there needs to be large contrast between the smallest edge spot and what's around it.

What do you guys think of these?

T5 options

t5-alternates.png

T25 Option
t25-alternate.png

Hmm..at this point unboxing pics seem unneeded, but happy to post if anyone's interested. I guess it is useful to see what a difference oiling makes (word of advice: use VERY LITTLE oil if you care about your inlays!)

What do you guys think of these?
If you have a colour sample set then you should already know the answer... stay away from DG Saturn if you want that spot to pop like the rest. DG Yellow or Canary would be a better choice. The first or 3rd red chips are fine (just not with DG Saturn). Congrats on your set!

Great set. Nice that you took the time to seek out permission and/or compensate the artists for their work. Should equate to some "run good" down the line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom