CPC Customs Featuring Oakland Street Art (Tourney) (1 Viewer)

wickwack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
This is a follow up to an older thread. The design has changed a lot, including the decision to build separate sets for tourney/cash, hence new threads for the separate sets. Thanks to the various chippers who have provided great advice and encouragement.

My overall vision: to me, a tournament has a serious mood: intense, driven, and dangerous. I chose murals that fit that mood, and chip colors to match: stark contrast and bold colors, slightly darker (at least by comparison with the cash set; I don't like dark chips much).

Options I considered but rejected:
  • Starting at T5. I know a T¼ start is unusual (though not unheard of, thanks to @BGinGA and others at PCF). I had considered starting at T5, but I didn't like how much of the art had to be covered for the 100 and 500 denominations. I also considered starting at T25 or T100, but that would be even worse for the art, plus you have the awkward T500-T1k crossover (or you have a T2k, which is also awkward in my opinion).
  • Having the murals on only one side, with denomination on the reverse (see original thread). As-is the chips might be too busy? But I didn't like the feeling that the chip would be split: half of it is a piece of art, the other half a poker chip.
  • Having the base color for T25 be light green. I think the darker "regular" green fits better with the mood, though I worry about the set being too dark as a whole.
I'd love to hear any thoughts / criticism / suggestions. I'll be taking the next few weeks to make sure of the mural / color / edge spot choices.

The murals:
  • T¼: "Visionary" by Joshua Mays
  • T1: "Dizzy" by Emily Ding
  • T5: "Ghost Ship" by Vogue TDK
  • T25: "Palestinian Solidarity Mural" by Chris Gazaleh and Erin Yosh
  • Bounty: "Silver Skull" by Vogue TDK
Here's the Cash set thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cpc-customs-featuring-oakland-street-art-cash.51759/

57-v49-t25_base_green.png

Last edited:
This is a follow up to an older thread. The design has changed a lot, including the decision to build separate sets for tourney/cash, hence new threads for the separate sets. Thanks to the various chippers who have provided great advice and encouragement.

My overall vision: to me, a tournament has a serious mood: intense, driven, and dangerous. I chose murals that fit that mood, and chip colors to match: stark contrast and bold colors, slightly darker (at least by comparison with the cash set; I don't like dark chips much).

Options I considered but rejected:
  • Starting at T5. I know a T¼ start is unusual (though not unheard of, thanks to @BGinGA and others at PCF). I had considered starting at T5, but I didn't like how much of the art had to be covered for the 100 and 500 denominations. I also considered starting at T25 or T100, but that would be even worse for the art, plus you have the awkward T500-T1k crossover (or you have a T2k, which is also awkward in my opinion).
  • Having the murals on only one side, with denomination on the reverse (see original thread). As-is the chips might be too busy? But I didn't like the feeling that the chip would be split: half of it is a piece of art, the other half a poker chip.
  • Having the base color for T25 be light green. I think the darker "regular" green fits better with the mood, though I worry about the set being too dark as a whole.
I'd love to hear any thoughts / criticism / suggestions. I'll be taking the next few weeks to make sure of the mural / color / edge spot choices.

The murals:
  • T¼: "Visionary" by Joshua Mays
  • T1: "Dizzy" by Emily Ding
  • T5: "Ghost Ship" by Vogue TDK
  • T25: "Palestinian Solidarity Mural" by Chris Gazaleh and Erin Yosh
  • Bounty: "Silver Skull" by Vogue TDK
Here's the Cash set thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cpc-customs-featuring-oakland-street-art-cash.51759/

View attachment 395508

Oaktown native here too, grew up around 35th and Allendale! Love the art!

UPDATE: I put in the actual order a few days ago! Quite a few things changed:
  • Switched to a T5 base (red/green/black/purple) because T0.25 is confusing, the ghost ship mural is better on black, and I think the overall aesthetic is more unified.
  • Due to above, instead of the white chip with the "Dizzy" mural, there's now a red chip with a Black Lives Matter mural. Really wanted to capture some of the BLM energy in this set, as it's been a big deal in Oakland over the last few years.
  • Redid the denominations. I'm super proud of this. Spent forever trying to find a way to add denominations that are clear without having them obscure the murals much.
Curious to hear your thoughts, though ofc it ain't changing now!

design_tool2.png

Great chips! I really like your choice of colors and spot designs. They do a great job complementing the murals (which are gorgeous - striking and evocative).

I'm glad you found a solution for the denominations that you're happy with. I think leaving the denominations off one side and displaying just the art is a great choice; I'll be doing something similar with one of my custom sets. To my eyes, the denominations still aren't as legible as I would want them to be, but I think your approach to having them be present without obscuring the art is a good call. I think they're legible enough to be functional.

Would love to get a sample set of these when you get them in!

I don’t really collect sample sets, but I’d like samples of both your sets if you have extras. Really like the artwork.

Also, denominations of 1/4, 1, 5, and 25 look like a cash set to me :tup:

but I’d like samples of both your sets if you have extras.

You're on the list! I'm just putting people down in order I hear from them.

BTW, I will ask for either cost reimbursement (i.e. $20 for shipping + chips), or a sample set of similar value in exchange. I'll create an actual thread when the chips are here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom