CPC Rainbow Bet Tournament Set (1 Viewer)

smsguy927

Pair
Reaction score
I am about ready to order a custom set from CPC. I am waiting on the inlay design, which is being done by one of my managers. In the meantime, there are placeholder inlays.
The name of the set is Rainbow Bet. The idea for the name came from one of my players who would use this term to declare a bet of one of each denomination of chip.
I have been tweaking the design of this set for months and might be ready to place it. I give credit to @Nex for the design of the T100. I like his version of the Horseshoe Cleveland $25,000 and thought it might look good on a dark blue chip. I also used blue for the T100 because a T1 would be too weird for my players and I wanted all six main colors as base colors for my chips. The rebuy and bounty chips won't actually have the words "rebuy" and "bounty" on them, they will have non denomination images. The Rebuy chip will have a white inlay and the others will have a black/charcoal inlay.

RainbowJan1619.png

I also have a set of oversize chips planned but will probably only order the 25,000 and 100,000 and only the minimum, 200 25k and 100 100k.
OversizeChips.png

What do you think?

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new custom chips. One thing I would consider would be staying open and flexible to advice on your set design. It took me two years of designing before I came up with my fat tire set. Thankfully I posted my designs here and received tons of great feedback on the base color and spot design.

Some of your chips look awesome, and I love the design inspiration. However, the first thing I noticed was the 1000 and 5000 chips seem to have a similar base color family. Do you have a color sample set? This would be huge in my opinion. Colors that are rendered On screen rarely look exactly like that in person. When you were talking about how colors go together and differentiate from one another, this becomes very important to gameplay.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a recently purchased sample set. I think that canary and dayglo peach are different enough that I can use them together, but I might switch the 1000 to yellow and/or the 5000 to dayglo tiger. I took some pictures of the color samples side by side and stacked in a dark room and I could tell them apart. I wish I could test the dayglo peach in a stack of canary chips. It would be nice to tell apart a 5000 chip near the bottom of a stack of 1000s.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new custom chips. One thing I would consider would be staying open and flexible to advice on your set design. It took me two years of designing before I came up with my fat tire set. Thankfully I posted my designs here and received tons of great feedback on the base color and spot design.

Some of your chips look awesome, and I love the design inspiration. However, the first thing I noticed was the 1000 and 5000 chips seem to have a similar base color family. Do you have a color sample set? This would be huge in my opinion. Colors that are rendered On screen rarely look exactly like that in person. When you were talking about how colors go together and are usually told him apart from one another, this becomes very important to gameplay.

Welcome to the forum. Eric has a bunch of solid points in his post. A color sample set is a must in my opinion.

I like how you have embraced this theme with the loud and bright colors. When it comes to the rebuy chip. It feels "meh" compared to the rest of the line up. I think a different base color could help it pop a little more.

B

When designing a tournament set, i would not bother with the 5. If however you are also designing a cash set to go along with it, then it saves on cost to be able to spread the 5's for cash and tourney as long as the inlay does not reference tournament or no cash value etc. Looking good, lots of awesome advice on here. Cheers,

Yes, I have a recently purchased sample set. I think that canary and dayglo peach are different enough that I can use them together, but I might switch the 1000 to yellow and/or the 5000 to dayglo tiger. I took some pictures of the color samples side by side and stacked in a dark room and I could tell them apart. I wish I could test the dayglo peach in a stack of canary chips. It would be nice to tell apart a 5000 chip near the bottom of a stack of 1000s.
One recommendation is to do a dirty stack test.. place one chip randomly in a stack of chips (as if it were in a bunch of chips in front of you). Now go to the other side of the table and ask yourself how easy it is to differentiate the chips... now try this in a splashed pot...

Here’s a couple examples. Can create betting mistakes and make it hard to determine how many chips your opponents have.

2DED16BC-C6F3-4E12-849F-76FD72227561.jpeg
302B7054-8B25-4DDD-80D8-0255AA87E6F7.jpeg

Part of the artistry in designing a set isn’t just creating 5 gorgeous chips. It’s creating 5 gorgeous chips that play well and work together (coordinated).

Last edited:
20190116_064038.jpg
20190116_064921.jpg

The first pic is a comparison of canary and DG peach and the second is the base and spot colors of the 1000 and 5000. The rainbow chip is a non denominational chip that will either be used for rebuys or as a 25,000 chip until the oversize set is made. It is also the flagship chip of the set. I think bright white is the best color for it and is unlikely to change. The bounty chip might become light chocolate or gray if I decide to change it.
@Trihonda As far as the dirty stack test, I would have to find someone with a set of chips that used canary yellow as a base color. I am probably going to change the base color of the 1000 to yellow and the imperial blue to retro blue. The green chip in the stack of red is definitely difficult to tell apart because of the edgespot colors on the red chip.

Last edited:
Your peach 5k has green blue and yellow edge spots. It’s next to a yellow chip that has green and blue edge spots. I envision this might create some dirty stack potential, but I could be wrong.

Look at my example above. It’s a red chip and a green chip. Completely different base colors. They share some spot color families (Less than yours) and though I can certainly tell them apart, at quick glance it’s an issue. That’s the problem.

I say switch the 1K to DG Yellow base and the 5K base to DG Tiger and that should solve your problem. I would also reverse your rebuy and bounty chips. I would want my bounty to chip to stand out especially when players may have more than one in front of them. The white chip is heads above the orange chip for this situation

Revised 1000 and "bear" chips. The other base color options for the bear chip are light chocolate, chocolate, maroon, charcoal, or gray.
c9c5cc32-a806-4803-a299-73f8f9aefab2.png

I made a mockup of the inlay image. It is definitely a rough draft, but good enough to bring to a designer for help. I think I want more of an art deco font.

I’ll also parrot “top left”.

Also, as someone else mentioned, for pure tourney you can probably disclude the “5”.

I like both the top left and bottom right. I intend to keep the 5 because I want a red chip due to the rainbow theme. My friends are familiar with T5 base structures, although I don't have to use them in every tournament. I am planning a Cali cash set and the red and green would be used as fracs. Because of the low cash value, I wouldn't worry about chip migration.

I received the chips on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I made a mistake with the orange spot on the rainbow chip. Despite having a color sample and several months to finalize everything, I used DG orange instead of DG peach. I plan on reordering them when I order the Cali Color Cash Set within a few weeks. I will post a sample thread by 8/4 and will include the old rainbow chip for free with the purchase of the sample set. On the other hand, DG orange looks great on the bear chip. The 1000 chip looks better than I expected. I'm glad I chose DG peach instead of tiger on the 5000 chip. There is some dirty stack potential by lining up the DG green spots, but it not too severe. I will post pics of that later. Future plans for this set include a (Maybe oversize?) 25k and 100k? chips. The 25k would be black and look like this. Here are some pics, I will make a pron link once I oil all of the chips and order a new table. The first 3 pics are unoiled.

20190730_165911.jpg
20190730_170332.jpg
20190730_170508.jpg
20190801_013257.jpg
20190801_013338.jpg
20190801_013501.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom