CPC Mold history considerations? (1 Viewer)

pipdenny

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I get nearer to placing my custom CPC order, and as I peruse the forums more and more, I am starting to realize that the CPC molds each have their own history.
At first I just assumed this was going to be a purely aesthetic choice for me and the Amold looks good and is most economical so I was going to go for that without much thought at all.

Now I’m thinking I need to give this much more thought.

Im interested to hear and learn about the history of these molds, and the significance (if any) of choosing one over the other in terms of fitting my design, or some other reasons I may not know about.

I have a mold sample set and I notice that each has different levels of texture. In terms of feel, it’s hard to tell because I don’t really have a shuffle stack of any of them (except amold and scroll from the color samples). I also learned that it’s probably best to stick with one with an outer ring, which would presumably help with durability.

Anyway, if anyone has insight into the type of things they consider when choosing a mold, I would love to hear it. Am I thinking too much about it now? How much does the history/significance of the mold matter? Does it matter at all? Is it all about feel/aesthetics?

So far I’m leaning toward diamondsquare, but only because I think it looks nice. I wish I liked circle square because it’s less expensive, but that mold feels too “busy” for me.
I would have never considered scrown before joining the forum and reading the thread about the acquisition of these cups, which adds something cool to the chips. I still don’t know anything about TRK and why they are highly revered.

I’m just a newbie trying to make an informed decision I won’t regret later :D

P.S. I’m on mobile so I’ll post pics of my inlay design soon.

First of all, don't necessarily buy into other's opinions on what is the "best" mold. Each one looks, feels and sounds different, and the best one is the one you are happy with.

Second, price and budget does come into play, so don't feel the need to use a more expensive mold if you are happy with a less expensive one.

Third, get samples! Not just one of each, but 5 or more of each. Play with them, shuffle them, stack them, sniff them, chew them, whatever, but get an idea of the feel, texture, sound, etc that you like.

Fourth, different molds are better for different size inlays. Your inlay design can and should influence the mold (or vice versa - if you are set on a specific mold, your inlay may have to change to accommodate).

Fifth, production schedule is an issue. You may need to wait many months for some molds to hit the production line. A molds run pretty much continually.

I personally like the look of the A mold. Others disagree. But go back to point #1 - it is what YOU like.

Ab
I chose disq because it is a vintage mold and I was doing a vintage style set.
Absolutely stunning set.

I was torn between the the dsq and the jockey but decided to go with the later. I heard from several members that the dsq mold had a height variation issue. Can you give your take on that?

on this page:
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/store.htm

Selection of 10 different inlaid 39mm samples (our random choice from current inventory) to give a representation of our current chip styles. Example shown here. Price $24 shipped.

Maybe something like that but get a stack of a few candidate molds. I have ~10 random colors and edge spot stacks on 4 different molds that I got from another member on here a while back and was surprised how the mold/finish impacts the color.

Ab
Absolutely stunning set.

I was torn between the the dsq and the jockey but decided to go with the later. I heard from several members that the dsq mold had a height variation issue. Can you give your take on that?
I have not noticed height variations. The one item that I was told at the time is that there is enough of a surface variation such that this mold could not be hotstamped by CPC. Fortunately another member @AK Chip was able to Hotstamp my dimes for me.

Obviously, it comes down to what YOU like, but for me I chose the scrown for my set because of how awesome they feel and also because of the TR King history of the mold. I won’t go down the expensive path of getting the real deal so this is the next best thing for me.

These are precisely the type of responses I was looking for.

Some choose molds to fit theme of the set (@Shaggy with a vintage look)

Some choose molds for feel. @LotsOfChips I will maybe put in a wanted ad for a shuffle stack of each mold I am interested in. I do have the sample set that @JustDave mentioned, but the only repeating mold therein is the circlesquare!

@allforcharity I've heard the same about the jokey mold, but I'm not sure I quite like the looks of it. When you say performance, do you mean durability? Or maybe more like weight/sound/feel?

I had no idea that some molds have known potential issues, as @viet rounder mentions with the height variations.
Are there other things like this I should know about that would influence my decision?

I will of course ultimately choose a mold that I personally like best, but I want to gather as much info as I can.

@BigOlPapaBear I saw that link posted in another thread last night. After perusing, I saw learned that TRK is a Los Angeles company? If so, that may be a nice choice for my set!

Here is a rough mockup of my inlay. I sent the source files to J5 to help me finalize. (Van, pronounced "vawn" is an ancient armenian city and also the name of my baby son)
So far I am leaning toward scrown, lcrown, diasq, and mayyybbe jockey if I get my hands on a shuffle stack and fall in love. Also amold if my wife discovers the cost difference :bag:

I don’t know enough about chips to determine if a particular mold would “fit” with this theme.

1610820063138.png

Last edited:

Some choose molds for feel. @LotsOfChips I will maybe put in a wanted ad for a shuffle stack of each mold I am interested in. I do have the sample set that @JustDave mentioned, but the only repeating mold therein is the circlesquare!

@allforcharity I've heard the same about the jokey mold, but I'm not sure I quite like the looks of it. When you say performance, do you mean durability? Or maybe more like weight/sound/feel?

I had no idea that some molds have known potential issues, as @viet rounder mentions with the height variations.
Are there other things like this I should know about that would influence my decision?

I will of course ultimately choose a mold that I personally like best, but I want to gather as much info as I can.

@BigOlPapaBear I saw that link posted in another thread last night. After perusing, I saw learned that TRK is a Los Angeles company? If so, that may be a nice choice for my set!

Here is a rough mockup of my inlay. I sent the source files to J5 to help me finalize. (Van, pronounced "vawn" is an ancient armenian city and also the name of my baby son)
So far I am leaning toward scrown, lcrown, diasq, and mayyybbe jockey if I get my hands on a shuffle stack and fall in love.

View attachment 615643
I LOVE that inlay and you can’t really go wrong with any of those molds. This will be a great set, nice job!!

In terms of "sound", molds with two concentric cycles sound better. Including the A-mold, if you don't use the maximum size inlay.
It would be hard or impossible to universally accept which is "best".
Try them out all; I ' d still vote A for Armenia. :)

So far I am leaning toward scrown, lcrown, diasq, and mayyybbe jockey if I get my hands on a shuffle stack and fall in love. Also amold if my wife discovers the cost difference :bag:

I don’t know enough about chips to determine if a particular mold would “fit” with this theme.

View attachment 615643

I agree, that’s a fantastic inlay! Nice work.

More durable than Paulsons for sure, and without any color transfer issues reported, AFAIK (unlike Paulsons).

Not sure if they are that durable. I own about 4x CPC sets and had quite a few chip off when they fall on a hard surface. Now I only use them when playing on carpet flooring. It seems as though every game one of my players always drop chips.
4C37F09D-804A-4AF0-8BC5-EE0C9CE80991.jpeg

I 've never had even the slightest issue with CPC chips falling from the table on a wooden floor. Not sure if a wooden floor is the limit, with damage occurring once the floor is marble or tile or concrete.

The only broken CPC chip I 've ever seen died on its trip from the US to here:
AO broken3.jpg

Thank God, it 's been the only casualty.

I also noticed that the scrown in my random samples are significantly smaller than the rest. Is this typical? The diasq is also smaller in diameter.

In the top row you can see the following samples in this mold order: E+C, Jockey, HHR, CSQ, CSQ, Bmold, scrown, Diasq, FDL, CSQ

Or is this the case with that brown color? In the second row you can see the brown chip in my color samples that is significantly smaller than the rest.

IMG-2909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2908.jpg
    IMG-2908.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 91
Each mould has its own physical characteristics so you will see variation from mould to mould. Based on custom sets I have on the FDL and Jockey moulds, the Scrown mould is smaller in diameter compared to them.

In the second row you can see the brown chip in my color samples that is significantly smaller than the rest.
Is your colour sample all on the same mould?

CPCs can certainly break as pictured above, but that is more likely due to manufacturing flaws in individual chips. When it is said they are "more durable" I think that alludes more to the fact that they aren't nearly as susceptible to flea bites or rounded edges.

Each mould has its own physical characteristics so you will see variation from mould to mould. Based on custom sets I have on the FDL and Jockey moulds, the Scrown mould is smaller in diameter compared to them.

Is your colour sample all on the same mould?
yes that brown color sample is amold, as are the rest (except dayglos which are on scroll) The brown on amold is significantly smaller than the rest.
I assumed it was due to the brown color, as the scrown is the same brown and smaller than the rest, but maybe just a coincidence?

I also noticed that the scrown in my random samples are significantly smaller than the rest. Is this typical? The diasq is also smaller in diameter.

In the top row you can see the following samples in this mold order: E+C, Jockey, HHR, CSQ, CSQ, Bmold, scrown, Diasq, FDL, CSQ

Or is this the case with that brown color? In the second row you can see the brown chip in my color samples that is significantly smaller than the rest.
Yes, different molds have different diameters.

View attachment 615791

This is a very helpful post. Thanks very much

A few observations:
  • diasqr has a higher number of mold defects (hence a higher reject rate, lower production rate, and resulting higher price). Some defects are considered acceptable.
  • H-mold (and Roman mold, if buying used) has a higer number of warped chips aka spinners (partial heat issue, partial mold design issue)
  • FDL mold has glossy inlays which is bothersome to some
  • Hourglass mold has a very lightweight feel (some compare it to a cheap plastic feel)
Personally, I prefer all six of the concentric ring molds over the non-ring molds: jockey, diasqr, B-diamond, cirsqr, Horsehead. and A-crest.... and probably in that order -- imo, they look better, sound better, and feel better. I own sets/racks of diasqr, A-mold, FDL, and scrowns, although I have a large number of chips of each mold type (over 400 chips in ASM/CPC sample sets). Jockey mold will likely be my next set purchase. The circsq mold is probably the most underrated in both looks and feel -- it's not nearlly as busy irl as it sometimes appears in photos. Horsehead, hourglass and scroll are all very busy to my eye

The history of some of the moulds is pretty neat. If you’re a nostalgia-nut or a history buff I could see why the history would factor in. I think the biggest consideration to mold choice should be the feel. And each mold has its very own feel. That’s why I’d urge anybody considering a CPC set to get ahold of a full mold sample. Then see if someone here will lend you a broken-in shuffle stack.

I like the horse head mold.....The jockey mold is neat, I used to ride as an exercise jockey at woodbine....what a fun time that was.....dangerous as heck but so fun. Sometimes the history of the mold is more about the significance of the image and memory than the actual mold material itself. I ultimately have these on order, simple Sloth Club Chips. Using only the plain and tier 1 edgespots I'm excited to see the end results. So excited I ordered ChinaClay Secondaries to pair with them.
CPC sloth chips without.png

The history of some of the moulds is pretty neat. If you’re a nostalgia-nut or a history buff I could see why the history would factor in. I think the biggest consideration to mold choice should be the feel. And each mold has its very own feel. That’s why I’d urge anybody considering a CPC set to get ahold of a full mold sample. Then see if someone here will lend you a broken-in shuffle stack.
That said, I have a shuffle stack of some nice broken in HHRs. You pay the shipping and their yours to play with for a bit.

yes that brown color sample is amold, as are the rest (except dayglos which are on scroll) The brown on amold is significantly smaller than the rest.
I assumed it was due to the brown color, as the scrown is the same brown and smaller than the rest, but maybe just a coincidence?
Interesting... I've owned 3 colour sample sets over the past 4 years (2 on A-mould and 1 on Scrown mould) and every chip had a consistent diameter within its set.

I'm not sure why this matters anyway unless you plan on mixing moulds? If anything, the smaller diameter moulds are more in line with Paulsons.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom