COPAQ v KEM v others (1 Viewer)

MOQ is usually 500-1000 per deck depending on manufacturer.

Pretty much a pipe dream to hit those quantities given people's preferences of poker vs bridge, index size, color, etc.

MOQ is usually 500-1000 per deck depending on manufacturer.

Pretty much a pipe dream to hit those quantities given people's preferences of poker vs bridge, index size, color, etc.
I mean if they could be sold to the community at cost, maybe we could get there. Probably need a generic back though, not tiger

Would love to see some Tiger Palace cards ... not sure what's the bets route or who is the better manufacturer for this... let's explore...

P.S. cut cards are on the way...
Dal Negro, Fournier, and Cartamundi Belgium are probably the best options. Believe @desjgn has done business with Dal Negro and @Thomacetti has a direct line to Cartamundi Belgium.

Things may have changed, but last I heard was that Dal Negro and Fournier has a MOQ of 500 decks/color for custom orders. Cartamundi is likely more but I don't have an idea of their MOQ's.

I mean if they could be sold to the community at cost, maybe we could get there. Probably need a generic back though, not tiger

Yeah, it would need to be a very generic design with wide appeal. And it would need to be a narrow offering of card size and index. Basically only 1 setup option.

I ran a modiano group buy at CT years ago. The MOQ was only 300 setups (600 decks in total) and we barely got there. This was near the peak of the poker boom. And that was only with the distributor agreeing to take on +100 setups as inventory. Group buy pricing was like $13 per setup. Later retailed for closer to $20.

That's likely the only way it happens. Have forum vendors taking on large quantities for their inventory.

Would love to see some Tiger Palace cards ...
I think a bright orange and blue setup would be optimal, something in high quality plastic, say like Angel Aristo Cards...

I think a bright orange and blue setup would be optimal, something in high quality plastic, say like Angel Aristo Cards...
MOQ's may be a challenge. I remember speaking with Roxanna about a custom run and I think it was 1000/color MOQ. If one is going to try for Angel, go all out and go for their cellulose acetate line.

Yeah, it would need to be a very generic design with wide appeal. And it would need to be a narrow offering of card size and index. Basically only 1 setup option.

I ran a modiano group buy at CT years ago. The MOQ was only 300 setups (600 decks in total) and we barely got there. This was near the peak of the poker boom. And that was only with the distributor agreeing to take on +100 setups as inventory. Group buy pricing was like $13 per setup. Later retailed for closer to $20.

That's likely the only way it happens. Have forum vendors taking on large quantities for their inventory.
Right. Somebody tried one last year. He gave us way too many options to gauge interest to begin with - all the colors, all the backs, all the fronts. Then he took the most popular few options and asked us to vote on them for the final product. I spite-quit at that point because I didn’t love those options. So I imagine others did too. But if he had just presented one option to begin with, he might have gotten a lot more of us.
And yeah, you need a vendor on board who’s willing to make up the difference.

MOQ's may be a challenge. I remember speaking with Roxanna about a custom run and I think it was 1000/color MOQ. If one is going to try for Angel, go all out and go for their cellulose acetate line.
Roxy (as I call her in my head) explained these were the only options they had, I specified acetate, these are pvc, but I like them better than KEM as they seem more flexible and I've not heard of them bowing. These are my fav cards, and the colors are so vibrant, they feel like the Fournier, just slightly thinner to me

Minimum order quantity. The number you would need to buy to fulfill the order. The big card manufacturers generally will be happy to print a run of custom plastic playing cards for you. The drawback? They will usually accept orders no less than 2000 decks per design and color. So say for example you wanted custom cards in two different colors, you'd need to buy 4000 decks total minimum to have them fulfill the order.

This board tried to run a group buy last year with Dal Negro cards and came up well short of the commitment to buy to the tune of less than half the amount of decks needed to run the order.
Tigers for the win. Leggo.

I personally think Kem and Copag are both great but Kem are a little too loose and flimsy for my taste. Copag are much tighter yet still shuffle wonderfully and I love the nuances to the traditional design that make them seem just a bit fancy yet classic.

Most of the other brands mentioned here I simply don't like the design of so I've never bothered trying out.

I've always been tempted to buy one of the sealed WSOP KEM decks from 2011, from the seller that has all the 2012 Fournier ones at a huge discount. They're $20 shipped. I wonder if that's on a better stock that the standard.
Better is subjective. If you prefer Fournier stock, they are not better. If you prefer Kem, they are.

I recall there being an issue with the lower spades being marked in some way under bright lights for the 2011 decks. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Edit: reference https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/kem-wsop-setups-new-15.88755/#post-1821806

Copaq suck - they are not acetate plastic. Too flimsy and crease easily.
KEM - suck too, but suck less that Copaq.
Modiano platinum- are the best IMO. But other acetate brands exist that are decent.
Dang, and here I thought my premium Copag cards were the real deal! LOL I have much to learn... So the acetate brands are a much stiffer plastic and more durable?

So the acetate brands are a much stiffer plastic
Generally the opposite in my experience. But there’s no better or worse when it comes to stiffness or flexiness, nor is that characteristic connected to durability.
Based on reading PCF over the years, I think more people prefer a flexible card, like KEMs. But there are plenty of people who prefer a stiffer card that snaps. Neither are wrong.

Generally the opposite in my experience. But there’s no better or worse when it comes to stiffness or flexiness, nor is that characteristic connected to durability.
Based on reading PCF over the years, I think more people prefer a flexible card, like KEMs. But there are plenty of people who prefer a stiffer card that snaps. Neither are wrong.
Appreciate the response! What have I gotten myself into? I've been reading about chips non-stop for a week and have no clue what I'm looking for still, and now cards!? I thought I was buying the best when I came across Copags; certainly more than I ever spent on a deck of cards lol!

Dang, and here I thought my premium Copag cards were the real deal! LOL I have much to learn... So the acetate brands are a much stiffer plastic and more durable?
I mean... I don't think the WSOP continuously uses them for nothing. Granted, Kem and Copag are the only 2 "premium" brands I've tried but I can't imagine anything feeling better than Copag.

And as the owner of several decks of both brands, the poster you are quoting suggesting that Copag are flimsier than Kem is just utterly preposterous.

I don't think the WSOP continuously uses them for nothing.
Continuously? I think they’ve been using copags for like 5 years now, but I don’t think they were ever using copag before that. And FWIW, do you think the WSOP puts much thought into the quality of the cards? Or do think they just take the best deal they get?
Don’t get me wrong, Copags are fine cards. But they’ve always been on the cheaper end of high end plastics and I think that’s about right.

Continuously? I think they’ve been using copags for like 5 years now, but I don’t think they were ever using copag before that. And FWIW, do you think the WSOP puts much thought into the quality of the cards? Or do think they just take the best deal they get?
Don’t get me wrong, Copags are fine cards. But they’ve always been on the cheaper end of high end plastics and I think that’s about right.
WSOP used Copags in 2005-2006? Before switching to USPCC, with Kems and Fourniers.
Also, the WSOP does not pay for any cards. They are provided by the card company as part of the rights of them being “the official card of the WSOP”. All useable cards are returned to the company when the WSOP is over, for resale.
Selling the old cards and the publicity is how the card companies justify providing the cards at no cost.

I understand that but I highly doubt they would use cards deemed substandard. Either way, Copags are the best overall I've seen for price, material and basic design. Eh, I just don't like funky designs on cards. I also only go for bridge size and far as I can tell Modiano Platinums don't come that way.

For my tastes, what would you recommend that is better?

I understand that but I highly doubt they would use cards deemed substandard. Either way, Copags are the best overall I've seen for price, material and basic design. Eh, I just don't like funky designs on cards. I also only go for bridge size and far as I can tell Modiano Platinums don't come that way.

For my tastes, what would you recommend that is better?
If you like them, I wouldn’t suggest any other brand. I’m fact I might be switching to copags just for the price. Personally I love Kem because they’re a bit more textured and because they’re flexier.
But for the price difference, copag is good. But I just grabbed my copag setup - why do they smell so plasticky? I don’t remember copags smelling like that in the past.

If you like them, I wouldn’t suggest any other brand. I’m fact I might be switching to copags just for the price. Personally I love Kem because they’re a bit more textured and because they’re flexier.
But for the price difference, copag is good. But I just grabbed my copag setup - why do they smell so plasticky? I don’t remember copags smelling like that in the past.
I haven't really noticed that steep a price difference between recommended brands have seen thus far. Even the Modianos I've seen don't seem outrageous considering it seems like a lot of a month in print anymore.

I haven't really noticed that steep a price difference between recommended brands have seen thus far. Even the Modianos I've seen don't seem outrageous considering it seems like a lot of a month in print anymore.
Modiano/davinci is probably still the cheapest. I’m not sure copag isn’t better for a couple bucks more at $18 a setup. You can’t get KEMs for under $30 these days. That’s significant.

Modiano/davinci is probably still the cheapest. I’m not sure copag isn’t better for a couple bucks more at $18 a setup. You can’t get KEMs for under $30 these days. That’s significant.
That's weird to me. Preferences, I guess... but Kem just seem way more flimsy to me. Not sure what players define quality by overall. I haven't noticed the smell you mentioned with the Copags yet.

That's weird to me. Preferences, I guess... but Kem just seem way more flimsy to me. Not sure what players define quality by overall. I haven't noticed the smell you mentioned with the Copags yet.
It’s the copag exports - the full-bleed backs. First copags I’ve bought in years. Used them in a game a couple of months ago. Great cards. But serious smell. Which is forgotten about until I grabbed them today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom